Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM

261 posts, read 938,382 times

Advertisements

... But it's a dry sarcasm....

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 AM

38 posts, read 128,479 times
Tecpatl:

YouTube - Branded (in color)

Anyways, I'm not the one painting it on the sides of public buildings for all the world to see!

JDTH:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
"There's an extremely fine line between 'scarcasm' ...and just being rude to the new guy".

Last time I checked it was "sarcasm" not "scarcasm", so the line might actually be thinner or wider depending on how you look at it. Missing/adding a letter. Damn I hate when I have to explain it!
Perhaps you should be addressing the person who first used the term then.
Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/8773818-post86.html
On the other hand, as a native Vermonter, I love the scarcasim!!
Of course, you would have known that if you had actually taken the time to read the thread your posting to.
...and if you had more common sense than to pick a bone with someone over a typo.

Edit: But what do I know?
Maybe this is more of that famous New Mexican sar-chasm.

Mortimer:
I *think* that green chile is technically a sauce. Salsas, by definition, have chunks of tomatoes and onions in them (sometimes fruit too, I know, weird) and the term 'relish' doesn't seem to fit as it's not really sweet.

But you would know more about it more than I would..I like a soothing (non spicy) tomatillo cream sauce better anyway.

THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE THAT KEPT THEIR POSTS ON POINT...and/or light hearted.

Even 99% of the ones who didn't were funny...but seriously, the internet has it's fill of amateur comedians laughing uproariously at people (instead of with them) over typos and misunderstood ideas that would resolve themselves if people would just settle down and think before they posted and give the person they're responding to the benefit of the doubt...and anyways all this hilarity and carrying on just makes it harder to sort through the mountains of chaff to find a simple, straightforward response.

Do you really think someone wanting to know the same thing I asked will read all 80 pages of this thread to get at the 6 or 7 relavant posts?

I don't.
I almost didn't.

Anyways 99% of this thread has been fun to read though.... so yay!

Okay, feel free to drag my name and this thread through the mud like ya did last time, when ya thought I was gone and wouldn't be around to defend myself.
Pffft. Real brave there.

...I've got to find a place to move the wife and kids to in the next month.

Word to Big Bird,
I'm Audi 5000.
http://www.jglandau.com/ellen/Sidney%20Waving%20in%20the%20Pool.JPG (broken link)

As I ride into the sunsets singing yippee kay yeaaaaa....
cares of the past are behind....nowhere to go but I'll find....just where the trail will wind....

YouTube - Roy Rogers & Sons Of The Pioneers - Tumbling Tumbleweeds.

Last edited by UsernameBen; 05-13-2009 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,117,226 times
songinthewind7 referenced:

> There was a thread called POOP ...
> stands for People Offended By Offended People.

Is it OK if I use POOP some more later on in other threads?

I like anything scatalogical.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:08 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,303,245 times
All I can say is wow, this seems to be common reaction when someone comes on this forum posting questions that the regulars on here deem stupid or made by trolls, it still doesn't excuse bad manners. The OP asked a question that he obviously wanted an answer to since he came back. No wonder our younger generation acts the way they do. I agree that there are definately trolls on here trying to cause turmoil but doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

To the OP I have lived in NM for 9 yrs, but have been coming to NM since I was born, as my father is from NM. I live in Alamogordo and while there are some of the things you mentioned they are normally just sold to the tourists. Alot of people have ristras, some have the Zia symbol in their yards or on their house but for the most part the only tell-tell signs that we are in NM are the SW designs of the homes and of course xeriscaping, and those are things that are indigenous not only to NM but other SW states also. I hope that you don't let the responses you have received on here keep you from considering NM as your new home.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:35 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,741,289 times
I don't think anyone was being mean-spirited on their reply to the OP. The question posed by the OP had an "edge" to it, and people responded in kind. The question begs to not be taken seriously . . . as if you will be ostracized if your dog is not dyed turquoise and wrapped in a red bandana.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 AM

4,262 posts, read 9,303,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I don't think anyone was being mean-spirited on their reply to the OP. The question posed by the OP had an "edge" to it, and people responded in kind. The question begs to not be taken seriously . . . as if you will be ostracized if your dog is not dyed turquoise and wrapped in a red bandana.
You know if this was the first time this had happened I would be more prone to agree with you, but it's not the first time and it won't be the last. Maybe I am having a bad day today and don't see the humor in it.

What the OP posted is generally what the rest of the world sees in regards to NM so I don't see any edge at all on his part just a question. Between thinking that NM is all about bright colors, murals painted everywhere, then throw in that the rest of the world thinks it is in Mexico you can't blame someone for asking. I probably ask alot of questions on the forum where we are planning to move that people may deem stupid but very rarely does anyone reply like these replies have been. I have to admit the OP seems very capable of taking care of himself so maybe I will bow out of this post.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:17 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,952,660 times
Just for grins I am adding an adobe wall around my xeriscaped yard and trim the house with turquoise paint to contrast with the red tin roof.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:28 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,384,528 times
I do not find the posters on here to be bad. Try some other state forums....like the one I used to live.

The way the OP worded this thread is what brought on the responses.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:46 PM

61 posts, read 129,491 times
Serious answer - I promise. No, you don't have to LOVE those silly things, but you do have to TOLERATE them, because New Mexico is a big tourist state, and those are all things that tourists buy, and we have to be polite to the people who fund so much of what goes on here. If you ever do see a house decorated that way, you can bet the people who own it just moved here from somewhere else (probably California), and if you drive by a couple of years later, you'll probably see it's all been removed.

What you do have to love is diversity. Whatever ethnic group you belong to, you will find some people here who look like you, and a lot of people who don't. Unlike East Coast cities, most of which have only been around for 200+ years, people have been here, together, working it out, for more than 500 years, and they've pretty much gotten the bugs out of it by now. They've intermarried, gone to each other's festivals, eaten each other's food, and found a way to live together in relative harmony. There are some old feuds, true (land and water are BIG issues here), but otherwise, everyone leaves everyone else alone and lives the best life they can manage.

And let's just say it now - it's a hard place to live. Between the economy (which has always pretty much been in the toilet, so the current "downtrend" is nothing new to us) and the harshness of the land and the weather, you have to really want to be here, and work hard at making a halfway decent living, but I think it's worth it in the end to live in such relentlessly beautiful place.

Here's my theory: People in other parts of the country save up all year long to go somewhere beautiful for a couple of weeks, and they come back rested and renewed. Some of that is just being away, but I think a lot of it is being someplace beautiful - you don't save up to spend two weeks in Newark, New Jersey, now do you??? Well, here in New Mexico we live, 365 days a year, in the place people come to in order to renew their spirits. I think this has a palpable, nearly measurable effect on the spirits of the locals. No matter how wired and stressed and freaked out you get in the course of your working day, when you get into your car and head home, and look out over the astonishing beauty of this place, it all drains right out of you, and by the time you get home, the world looks good again.

I love New Mexico - passionately. I can't get enough of it. The desert drives me insane, the openness, the HUGENESS of the sky, the weather (oh GOD the weather - it's bliss), the way the world wraps around you here, unimpeded by cities and cars - the huge open spaces of the place. It's weird, at first, and takes some getting used to, and frankly I think it's not for everyone (it had better NOT be for everyone, we don't have enough water for that), but if you love it here, it will take hold of your heart and you'll never be happy living anywhere else, ever again.

Happy trails...

Old 05-13-2009, 12:53 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,261,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameBen View Post
You guys have me totally figured out.

Or something.

You guys take this whole 'internet thing' way too seriously in my opinion...while at the same time, completely failing to answer a serious question and turning the whole thing into a freak show and borderline argument.

There's an extremely fine line between 'scarcasm' ...and just being rude to the new guy.

Carry on, I'm not really hurt or whatever.

So damn funny it hurts and leaves a mark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico