Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:30 AM

24 posts, read 43,685 times

Advertisements

A little about me, I am a 26 year old single male currently living in Northern NY, I am very conservative/libertarian and I have a degree in Theater. I am currently a substitute teacher, but I want a real career. I am hoping to do something that is either in theater, or related to the skill set, but am willing to do other types of work until an opportunity in that field comes along.

I like the idea of living in the South West, so naturally NM would be on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
You did not mention that you have been to the South West, so first order is to come out and visit. Nothing wrong with being a substitute teacher, I know some who made it a career here in New Mexico. For some people jobs are tough to get here. I have had a few family members who had to go back east to get a job.

Good luck to you.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:31 AM

331 posts, read 465,833 times
Your career goal is clear: theater. You don't say what your skill set involves - performing, management, production, etc. - and that's not really necessary for this forum.

What we also don't know, which would be helpful, is the results of your research into theater in New Mexico, and how that will affect where you need to be located. I'm sure the theater world is unique (as are, for instance, specific professions from law to accounting to logistics management). But I also suspect that if you're going to find opportunities to work in theater, you need to be plugged into that world on an ongoing real world basis. As with other kinds of work. If you're substitute teaching or working retail a few hundred miles away from the nearest theater, how will you ever get an "opportunity" for theater work? OTOH I assume that if you're in town, and have developed personal connections with the theater folk, you're positioned to grab every opportunity that comes along.

I hope this doesn't sound too critical, but your original post just doesn't have enough information to help us connect the dots between the idea of your moving to NM and your goal of working in theater.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:40 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,505,022 times
Obvious city choices would be Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Possible city choices would also be Las Cruces and Silver City. Alamogordo occasionally has acts here but you could travel pretty easily south the 90 miles to El Paso, TX, from here for plays. I'd do some googling and then some visiting to New Mexico ta take a look at what we are and what we have to offer you here first, for sure.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:15 PM

325 posts, read 577,656 times
Noted you asked this on several forums. You'd better have a real profession besides theater to pay the bills.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
If I were 26 I would move to Albuquerque in a stone instant. Like most theater people do whatever you have to do to support a poverty life style until you make it. Good LUCK.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,290,916 times
I'm still wrapping my head around "very conservative/libertarian" with "a career in theater."

Old 02-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'm still wrapping my head around "very conservative/libertarian" with "a career in theater."
Just when you learn some terms... Some of them change: Libertarian conservatism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Not to be confused with liberal conservatism or conservative liberalism.)

I no longer know what a theater is...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-26-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:51 AM

325 posts, read 577,656 times
Theatre: A performing arts stage

Old 02-26-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieJensen View Post
Theatre: A performing arts stage
Ahhh:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico