Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 11:10 PM

80 posts, read 397,171 times

Advertisements

How do you afford NJ Transit's prices??? Monthly passes range from low to mid 200s to as expensive as 380 a month.

im from new york and can get a monthly metrocard for $80.

just wondering how you are able to pay a mortgage when your daily travel expense for a family can be about $500 a month. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 04:52 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,208,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
How do you afford NJ Transit's prices??? Monthly passes range from low to mid 200s to as expensive as 380 a month.

just wondering how you are able to pay a mortgage when your daily travel expense for a family can be about $500 a month. thanks.
they buy a house they can afford and budget accordingly

Old 06-14-2007, 06:58 AM

80 posts, read 397,171 times
Thumbs up haha

i love kort haha...the man has an answer for all my inquiries...you my friend do know it all

Old 06-14-2007, 05:01 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,406,597 times
Quote:
i love kort haha...the man has an answer for all my inquiries...you my friend do know it all
Well, his response makes sense- if the house in NJ costs you $1,000 less than similar housing in NYC, but the travel is only $300 more, where's the problem?

Bob

Old 06-14-2007, 07:49 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,298,552 times
Quote:

In Edison Hollow South condo complex, most family only has 1 NJ Transit pass, and that person is either husband or wife working at Wall St or Jersey City ...etc. And, if both husband and wife working at NYC, they may then move to Jersey City. So, it is unlikely to see all in a family, each buy a NJ Transit Monthly pass.

In NYC it is different, sometimes, even kids going to school has to take subway, so having a Subway pass is kind of must.

Also, when my brother-in-law going to NYC during weekend, all his kids would be FREE (with a paying parent, 2 kids are free). And NJ Transit pass is as good as to the following month's 1st weekday noon. That is to say, there are cerntain weekend, both current month pass and following month pass both valid. So, then the whole family visit NYC during that weekend would be FREE.

True, NJ Transit is expensive, and people in NJTransit Yahoo group are tough and picky, but there are also some free rides just need to learn to catch.

I know a neighbor whose daughter working at NYC and got a monthly pass, during weekdays, the daughter using it, and during weekend, the mom using it since they moved from NYC where housing is so expensive, but the mom still used to buy grocery in NYC Chinatown where Chinese foods are much cheaper, and, of course, she would also visit her doctor, get a hair cut, visit old friends ...etc.

One day, I proposed that NJ Transit to have 5 tier tickets at Yahoo NJtransit group, so that people working at Wall St still pay $200 to $300, and blue collars who normally has to arrive early before white collar and left home late would be charged less, and after 8pm, make it FREE, since there are mostly vacant cars of the train any way ... so that people can not afford can still save some money ...etc.

Well, the result was that I was attacked by this group as spam and fraud ... I guess people working for NJ Transit does NOT like to hear that...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post

One day, I proposed that NJ Transit to have 5 tier tickets at Yahoo NJtransit group, so that people working at Wall St still pay $200 to $300, and blue collars who normally has to arrive early before white collar and left home late would be charged less, and after 8pm, make it FREE, since there are mostly vacant cars of the train any way ... so that people can not afford can still save some money ...etc.

Well, the result was that I was attacked by this group as spam and fraud ... I guess people working for NJ Transit does NOT like to hear that...
could it be that you were attacked because it's just a bad idea?

Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
could it be that you were attacked because it's just a bad idea?
Not sure, and I feel my lost of yahoo email address may be because of picky people in that group ... Anyway, if you join that NJTransit group, you may be able to find out.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of thousands yahoo group, and most are either dying or inactive, or cyber and couple loosely, but that NJTransit group of over 250 people seems to be very tight coupled.

So, maybe I misjoined a group that is a private group just like a pudalist misjoined church mass, so ... I think Yahoo has lots of room to improve.

But, this country is "peer judge". When I went to jury duty, I eyewitness a "bia judge" that all whites (but me) agreed that it was the fault of an Amigo biker who was hit buy a sedan with white female driver. I was the only one disagree, but you need 2 votes to stop them.

So, to certain extend, new comers better stay at where their race resides, and that's why, on the other thread, I said, if I were an Indian consultant new to this country, I would stay at Edison, not, say, some town all whites, anything should happen, you will be sentensed to "death" and people will called you "spam" or "fraud" like I was treated by this group and Yahoo.

Well, Yahoo's system is probably evolved from US court system. I can't say it is bad, but far from perfect. So, be very careful where you go ...

By the way, I have no bias to white or black, it is just human nature. e.g. all these 11 juros NEVER knew the tough life of this immigrant Amigo; they tend to think bike is for fun and for sport, not knowing immigrant has to use it to make living...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
Not sure, and I feel my lost of yahoo email address may be because of picky people in that group ... Anyway, if you join that NJTransit group, you may be able to find out.

On the other hand, there are hundreds of thousands yahoo group, and most are either dying or inactive, or cyber and couple loosely, but that NJTransit group of over 250 people seems to be very tight coupled.

So, maybe I misjoined a group that is a private group just like a pudalist misjoined church mass, so ... I think Yahoo has lots of room to improve.

But, this country is "peer judge". When I went to jury duty, I eyewitness a "bia judge" that all whites (but me) agreed that it was the fault of an Amigo biker who was hit buy a sedan with white female driver. I was the only one disagree, but you need 2 votes to stop them.

So, to certain extend, new comers better stay at where their race resides, and that's why, on the other thread, I said, if I were an Indian consultant new to this country, I would stay at Edison, not, say, some town all whites, anything should happen, you will be sentensed to "death" and people will called you "spam" or "fraud" like I was treated by this group and Yahoo.

Well, Yahoo's system is probably evolved from US court system. I can't say it is bad, but far from perfect. So, be very careful where you go ...

By the way, I have no bias to white or black, it is just human nature. e.g. all these 11 juros NEVER knew the tough life of this immigrant Amigo; they tend to think bike is for fun and for sport, not knowing immigrant has to use it to make living...

I have no idea of the case you sat on but your statement he needs the bike to get to work on has absolutley no meaning and is just plain foolish and is no excuse for whatever happened.
I think you bring many problems you seem to be encountering in forums on yourself.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I have no idea of the case you sat on but your statement he needs the bike to get to work on has absolutley no meaning and is just plain foolish and is no excuse for whatever happened.
I think you bring many problems you seem to be encountering in forums on yourself.
You see? Are you member of NJTransit Yahoo Group?

Anyway, I have no problem to elaborate a bit. If you are born in this country, you may never ride bike on the major road, you will ride on park or lakefront ... for fun.

For immigrant who can not afford car to start with, they HAVE TO ride bike on the major road where there is NO bike route and very dangerous. They foolish to ride bike on major roads?

So, if the jury duty 12 jurers are full of people like you, you will NOT care and will sentense them to death. That's why I said if you are new immigrants or new comers to this country, you better stay at the community with your culture and people that can understand, or you WILL be sentensed to death soon or later.

I speak up in the forum to warn people, but not everyone bothers to speak up. e.g. I am NOT the only one lost yahoo email address, all 500+ members of Edison Hollow South lost their yahoo email addresses ...

So, you think yahoo can win a "class action" lawsuit? I do not think so ...

Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,376,230 times
Well I have no clue as to what the previous posters are talking about....but as to the OP's question.

Actually in comparison to other rail systems NJ Transit is cheap. NJ Transit trains are definitely cheaper than what you would pay for the time of a similar ride on Metro-North or the LIRR.

Of course the monthly bus/subway pass is cheaper, but thats comparing apples and oranges. With NJ Transit you are paying for a monthly pass to get a seat (theoretically) on the train instead of on a subway or bus where you could be packed in like sardines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey