Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 07:23 PM

25 posts, read 29,881 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking around for houses for rent in Woodbridge, Avenel, Edison, Metuchen and Carteret.

work location: Irving Pl... around 14th street

Woodbridge, Avenel, Edison, Metuchen - For all of these cities, rail is the option and the door to door for my work location is 1 hr and 35 minutes

Carteret - By bus and the door to door commute time is 1 hr and 10 minutes. At very high-level Carteret is looking good but, will buses reach NYC on schedule for most of the time (like 90%)? I'm worried about I95 traffic and general traffic in NYC on the road.

To stay on schedule which option is best, Rail or Bus? I must be in the office by 8:45 AM every day. I'm a contract worker so I'll not be able to provide traffic related excuses too often for being late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 PM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Train. NEC Line. Trains are always more reliable than the buses and don't get as affected by weather.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:25 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,126,952 times
Ditto on trains being more reliable. Forget the buses as they are notorious for delays going into or away from the city. Several years ago, I used to take the bus to Port Authority around 8am and leave work at 5pm. Most of the time traffic near the Lincoln tunnel is so bad that what should be a 20 minute trip from my hometown to NYC turns into a trip 2-3x longer.

I had to give up and take the train instead because I needed to be at work by 9am and home by 6pm to pick up my kid from daycare...

Old 03-17-2016, 06:31 AM

619 posts, read 575,984 times
Just remember - train is usually more reliable but it's not foolproof. Case in point - I am currently sitting on the NJ transit (main - Bergen line) for over 20 minutes, waiting to go into the tunnel. This doesn't happen every single day, but it happens often enough. If it rains, or if there is an accident, often trains are delayed.

Whatever mode of transportation you decide on, my advice is to build in an extra 15-20 minutes to you commute time. In my office, 4 out of 5 of us commute from NJ, including my boss, so at least they are aware of the possibility of us being late

Old 03-17-2016, 07:30 AM

377 posts, read 474,975 times
Both of them have issues, but the train is more consistent. The best case scenario is to have both as an option. I check NJT Twitter accounts and the PA Lincoln Tunnel alert account every morning/evening and make a decision based on that. If I need to be in or home at a certain time I almost always take the train.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdon2201 View Post
To stay on schedule which option is best, Rail or Bus? I must be in the office by 8:45 AM every day. I'm a contract worker so I'll not be able to provide traffic related excuses too often for being late.
If you try to cut it too short and try to be reach your desk by 8:44, neither of the two options are reliable as both are prone to congestion and delays. In general, trains are more reliable as they don't have to deal with crazy drives who shouldn't have been given a DL in the first place, but if you take an early bus, one before 7am, there are good chances your timing will be more reliable.

Btw, if you need to commute to 14th street, train might be better (and cheaper) as you also have the option of taking a Path from Newark.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:50 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
If you try to cut it too short and try to be reach your desk by 8:44, neither of the two options are reliable as both are prone to congestion and delays. In general, trains are more reliable as they don't have to deal with crazy drives who shouldn't have been given a DL in the first place, but if you take an early bus, one before 7am, there are good chances your timing will be more reliable.

Btw, if you need to commute to 14th street, train might be better (and cheaper) as you also have the option of taking a Path from Newark.

Keep in mind that to get from Newark Penn to 14th St. NYC he would have to take two PATH trains. The more trains the more chance for delays.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:52 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
for someone that takes the bus one way and the train another (trust me it makes sense):

Buses have many more problems than trains, but when trains have problems, they have big ones.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,189,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Keep in mind that to get from Newark Penn to 14th St. NYC he would have to take two PATH trains. The more trains the more chance for delays.
I see what you're saying but changing Path isn't that big a hassle, it is right across the platform (both, from NJT to Path at Newark, and from WTC Path to 33rd Path at JSQ). Unlike changing from NJT to Subway at Penn.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 29,881 times
Hi all,

I would like yo thank everyone for giving your suggestions. Each of them definitely helped me a lot.

I moved into an apartment in Woodbridge township and getting used to the neighborhood.My community provides shuttle service to/from Rahway NJT station which is 8 mins away and to NYC I take NJCL train and on return to home it's NEC. I just love NEC trains.

A note on PATH though, I'm seeing them daily in Newark penn station and they are overly ccrowded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey