Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:55 AM

80 posts, read 397,241 times

Advertisements

good point with the last poster...as for the verbal battle between the other two posters im sorry if i got you two into such a heated debate...i wasnt being sarcastic either when i say kort knows it all...bc he seems to know alot about nj. thanks for the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,754 times
Default free weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post
And NJ Transit pass is as good as to the following month's 1st weekday noon. That is to say, there are cerntain weekend, both current month pass and following month pass both valid. So, then the whole family visit NYC during that weekend would be FREE.
Can you please explain how and when the weekends are free. Is it when the Saturday is the last day of one month and the Sunday is the first day of the next month?
I would like to bike the raritan canal from New Brunswick station to Trenton station but the prices are just outrageous. I can't believe there are no weekend discounts. My plan would be to borrow a coworker's old pass to at least save on half the ride.
Thanks,
M

Old 09-10-2011, 05:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,139,228 times
I figured I'd respond since it's already been bumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehs View Post

In NYC it is different, sometimes, even kids going to school has to take subway, so having a Subway pass is kind of must.

One day, I proposed that NJ Transit to have 5 tier tickets at Yahoo NJtransit group, so that people working at Wall St still pay $200 to $300, and blue collars who normally has to arrive early before white collar and left home late would be charged less, and after 8pm, make it FREE, since there are mostly vacant cars of the train any way ... so that people can not afford can still save some money ...etc.
In NYC, if a child lives far enough away from school, they either get a Student MetroCard or receive school bus service, so only the parents are realistically paying for transit.

As far as your plan goes, while I feel that transit should be cheaper, I don't think it should be made entirely free, because then you have people riding the trains for no reason, and potentially using them to cause trouble. It's sad that we live in a society where it's a possibility, but what can you do?

I do think they should bring back the peak/off-peak fares, so that you can travel cheaper if you go outside of rush hour. Transit authorities call this strategy "spreading the peak" because it spreads the ridership out and makes the trains cheaper to run.

Of course, monthly passes already accomplish this to a certain extent, but maybe they could sell some sort of pass that's only valid off-peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Well I have no clue as to what the previous posters are talking about....but as to the OP's question.

Actually in comparison to other rail systems NJ Transit is cheap. NJ Transit trains are definitely cheaper than what you would pay for the time of a similar ride on Metro-North or the LIRR.

Of course the monthly bus/subway pass is cheaper, but thats comparing apples and oranges. With NJ Transit you are paying for a monthly pass to get a seat (theoretically) on the train instead of on a subway or bus where you could be packed in like sardines.
Plus, on the Metro-North and LIRR, you still have to pay for the subway once you arrive in Manhattan, just like on NJT.

As far as the cost goes, it's because you're traveling a longer distance. I believe a NYC-Trenton pass is about $418, but you're traveling over 60 miles. In NYC, you pay $104, but chances are you won't be traveling too far.

If you think about it, a short trip from say, Elizabeth to Newark isn't too expensive.

To answer the Op's question, it comes down to the fact that the further out you go, the cheaper housing becomes. If your rent is $1,000 cheaper than a comparable place in NYC, and you pay an extra $300 per month, you're still saving money.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:53 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,956,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I figured I'd respond since it's already been bumped.

In NYC, if a child lives far enough away from school, they either get a Student MetroCard or receive school bus service, so only the parents are realistically paying for transit.

As far as your plan goes, while I feel that transit should be cheaper, I don't think it should be made entirely free, because then you have people riding the trains for no reason, and potentially using them to cause trouble. It's sad that we live in a society where it's a possibility, but what can you do?

I do think they should bring back the peak/off-peak fares, so that you can travel cheaper if you go outside of rush hour. Transit authorities call this strategy "spreading the peak" because it spreads the ridership out and makes the trains cheaper to run.

Of course, monthly passes already accomplish this to a certain extent, but maybe they could sell some sort of pass that's only valid off-peak.

Plus, on the Metro-North and LIRR, you still have to pay for the subway once you arrive in Manhattan, just like on NJT.

As far as the cost goes, it's because you're traveling a longer distance. I believe a NYC-Trenton pass is about $418, but you're traveling over 60 miles. In NYC, you pay $104, but chances are you won't be traveling too far.

If you think about it, a short trip from say, Elizabeth to Newark isn't too expensive.

To answer the Op's question, it comes down to the fact that the further out you go, the cheaper housing becomes. If your rent is $1,000 cheaper than a comparable place in NYC, and you pay an extra $300 per month, you're still saving money.
the NJT monthly pass is a huge enough discount that it doesn't need an off peak variant

Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
How do you afford NJ Transit's prices??? Monthly passes range from low to mid 200s to as expensive as 380 a month.

im from new york and can get a monthly metrocard for $80.

just wondering how you are able to pay a mortgage when your daily travel expense for a family can be about $500 a month. thanks.
$380/month = $4,560/yr. don't forget, you can buy public transit at least partially with pre-tax dollars with your commuter flex spending account. if you make $50,000/yr, after taxes, figure you'd have about $34,000. commuting costs without figuring pre-tax dollars would be about 13.5% of your income. high, but not horrible. if you live in NYC, you're paying much higher prices for other things that NJ residents don't need to worry about.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,639,853 times
I lived in newark and took path, or took a bus.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,153 times
Default Lost my NJ Transit monthly pass for th train

Hi,

I lost my NJ Transit monthly pass for the train yesterday. I commute from Edison to Newark daily.Does someone has an extra pass?
Its really going to cost me almost $200 to buy the tickets again.

Can anyone suggest me, if I can get the tickets at discounted price or so?

Thanks,
RJ

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,347,025 times
Try going on craigslist. Ask and you might find something there.

As for this thread if you don't like the monthly costs you can either a)find a job in New Jersey instead of Manhattan or b)move to NYC in the outer boros or the Gold Coast. Simple as that.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 12,658 times
Can anyone give me any feedback about a commute from Monmouth - Marlboro, Englistown, Manalapan - possible Monroe or Jackson -those areas.. to drive everyday from one of those towns to College Point Queens NY (near Citifield).. This would be a dailey commute for my husband if we decide to move to one of these towns. He would probably leave at 5am and return home in the evening.. Is thos doable or insane?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Try going on craigslist. Ask and you might find something there.

As for this thread if you don't like the monthly costs you can either a)find a job in New Jersey instead of Manhattan or b)move to NYC in the outer boros or the Gold Coast. Simple as that.
I do have a job in NJ! And the NJ Transit ticket is STILL $299 a month--no difference in price whether you go to Newark or Hoboken.

Not really complaining. I've been doing this for 33 years next month, and that's just the way it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey