Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 09:10 PM

95 posts, read 206,685 times

Advertisements

I am looking for opinions on good towns with good schools that are close to NJ Transit for commute to NYC in the 400K budget. We are considering Middletown, NJ as one such area and open to any and all advise and suggestions. Preferably affordable taxes, must have good schools (don't need the best, but need to be good, safe, decent), home prices 400K for 4 bedroom, close to NJ Transit. I know, hard to come by in NJ, but appreciate any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 PM

175 posts, read 345,443 times
Roselle park, cranford, fanwood...

Old 07-17-2014, 08:14 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreechyFlange View Post
Damn, 400K homes, can you adopt me? Lmao. I hope someone else can help

For you transit enthusiast( we have NJT forums too) here's a site looking for members, it's only 2months old and improving by the day.

Invision Power Board
? Don't get excited--$400K doesn't get you anything fancy in NJ.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:32 PM

300 posts, read 913,771 times
Monroe manor in monroe is good fit, you will get newer houses but longer commute.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM

7 posts, read 21,352 times
I would like to suggest Kenilworth. Commute from nearby Roselle Park train station to NY Penn is an hour depending on walk, commute to Wall St area is an hour, ten minutes depending on walk. Homes are in your price range. Average schools.

For your budget, it will be hard to find a 4 bedroom in a town with really good schools and decent commute to NY.

Good luck with your search.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:32 PM

95 posts, read 206,685 times
Thank you everyone, I appreciate the suggestions and will look into these places - I know our budget doesn't go far in NJ!!

Old 07-18-2014, 08:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,399,569 times
Rutherford. I just bought a nice 3br house with a yard that is a 38 min coommute to my office in midtown for 410k. Good schools. Taxes aren't great but that's nj. It even has recently renovated bathrooms and kitchen.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:20 AM

137 posts, read 183,028 times
You can *certainly* get a great place under $400K but will have to dig dig dig to figure out where the best value is....it takes time. Can't do all the research online either - taxes might appear low but some towns have smaller homes on tiny lots bunched together. Flood areas, main roads, condition of homes - all concerns.

My suggestion is to go to open houses all over - even in areas that are both above and below your price range. You will get a feel for areas that way and will end up making an informed decision.

And be realistic. Every town has its positives and negatives. Consider both.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:14 AM

137 posts, read 183,028 times
Let me add:

Some general advice.....drive an insanely hard bargain and be patient. A home is imo the worst investment one can make in this time period in America/NJ.

When it comes to buying a car, blue jeans, mayo or mustard - most people will be quite intelligent and wait for a sale.

When it comes to housing however - most people let the banks and realtors (and other debt/homeowners - many of whom are on this thread) dictate what things are worth.

A house is only worth what YOU (and others) are willing to be in debt for and with NJ going broke and taxes rising faster than wages - be very very careful. I have seen many a white-collar family make a horrendous decision.

It might take a year or more to find a good deal but it is a huge purchase, expense and responsibility and if done poorly, can cause major damage to your life. Caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey