Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:12 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,276,959 times

Advertisements

Guys,

Driving up to Boston this morning, I got pulled over in Connecticut doing 85 in a 65

$300 ticket, payable by mail.

The cop said that I will not get points on my NJ license, if I mail the payment in.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I'm so pissed. I thought I was going about 75-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM

50,880 posts, read 36,586,381 times
Well, 75 would still be a ticket. I had one experience where the police officer said on the ticket I was going much faster than I was (and he did it on purpose, long story). I got a lawyer on general principles, and it ended up getting reduced to what I was actually going...but I spent $300 on the lawyer, and that was 25 years ago. If you're not getting points, that's great as that is way more expensive in the long run than the actual ticket. If you plead not guilty you'll have to go to court in Connecticut.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 PM

13,408 posts, read 28,749,831 times
Can't speak for CT but hubbie got pulled over in Nevada doing 98 in a 75 ( idiot) he mailed fine in and never received any points at all

Old 01-14-2010, 01:21 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,709,300 times
i'm a pro at getting speeding tickets out of state , but not in CT. I believe I got points when I got snagged in NC, but no points in WA. Both times I mailed payment in.

i hope you don't get points, it's punishment enough just having to need to drive in CT - worst traffic in the NE!

Old 01-14-2010, 01:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,156,100 times
More than likely if you just pay the fine you won't get any points. I got a ticket in MD a few years ago and they never assessed points.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 PM

9,379 posts, read 20,819,404 times
I was told by a trooper in Maryland that the points would not transfer if I mailed it in, but that's exactly what happened. I've said this before, and I am not necessarily recommending it, but when I was pulled over in NY state subsequent to my incident in Maryland, I just ignored it and refused to pay. I received about 3 threatening letters from the NY State police department and/or Syracuse municipal court, and never responded. Those points never transferred onto my license.

Kate,

Nevada used to have no speed limit at all prior to 1974! After having traveled in various areas northwest of Las Vegas, I can see why there was no speed limit. (Hope this isn't off topic and results in a locked thread)

Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,053,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Guys,

Driving up to Boston this morning, I got pulled over in Connecticut doing 85 in a 65

$300 ticket, payable by mail.

The cop said that I will not get points on my NJ license, if I mail the payment in.

Does anybody have experience with this?

I'm so pissed. I thought I was going about 75-ish.
You may not get points on your NJ license, but you will get insurance points and your rates will probably go up substantially. MV points and insurance points are unrelated.

This is why it is so important to pay attention when you are speeding. There are many different techniques to speeding, the most important of which rely primarily on laser-like fighter pilot focus on your surroundings and knowledge of the techniques and technologies deployed by the police.

If you are not going to do the substantial amount of work it takes to speed without getting a ticket, you are better off just setting the cruise control to 70 and avoiding the problem altogether.

This advice may sound like hindsight, but now that you will probably have the points, you do not want to get anymore tickets. So for now, ease back on your driving aggression in all areas for the next 40 months. Or learn and employ the anti-enforcement techniques to avoid getting caught. The plus side to the techniques is that it makes you a better driver because you are always paying attention.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 PM

36 posts, read 348,250 times
YOU WILL RECEIVE POINTS IN YOUR NJ LICENSE. Those who told you NO are giving you the WRONG information. Any points from out of state will transfer just 2 into NJ DMV points. For example, of you received a 5 pointer for speeding in CT, or NY, only 2pts will come in. There are only 5 states that points do not transfer. Read the message below, and can be found in State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Mod cut: copryight violationSo only 2 points will come in. The cop lied to you (I'm not surprised. Since you cut that check and pay it, the state gets your money.)

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 02:44 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 01:49 PM

36 posts, read 348,250 times
^ so the bottom line is, if you want to speed and not pay the points.... speed in Georgia, Boston, Micigan, Tenn and Wisconsin lol.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:52 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,053,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbaypackersfan View Post
YOU WILL RECEIVE POINTS IN YOUR NJ LICENSE. Those who told you NO are giving you the WRONG information. Any points from out of state will transfer just 2 into NJ DMV points. For example, of you received a 5 pointer for speeding in CT, or NY, only 2pts will come in. There are only 5 states that points do not transfer. Read the message below, and can be found in State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Mod cut: copyright violation So only 2 points will come in. The cop lied to you (I'm not surprised. Since you cut that check and pay it, the state gets your money.)
Good information! So actually the 2 points can be considered a bargain if you get caught speeding excessively.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-14-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: