Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 27,782 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

Have a question for the folks on this chain...

I got a speeding ticket yesterday on the Merritt Pkwy in CT (supposedly going 76 in a 55). Funny thing is, I was just keeping up with traffic -- all the guys ahead of me and behind me we're going the same. Also, when I got home, I noticed the ticket said it was in a work zone! (There was no 'work zone' postings anywhere, and the officer did not mention this to me).

Anyway, my question is...I have a NJ license, but registration and insurance is in NY. (I moved to NY recently and haven't switched over my license). Given that I got this ticket in CT, will I get points since I have a NJ license? Or not, since my registration and insurance is in NY? Any ideas?

Also, since I've never been pulled over before or rec'd a ticket (in my 16years of driving), I am going to appeal. I certainly was just keeping up with traffic, but not going 76MPH, which makes it 21MPH over the speed limit (and puts the ticket into a higher bracket). The other thing is that is was not a posted work zone, which in effect, doubled the fine (and I think the points). Any good statements I can utilize in my defense? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the help. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,537 times
The problem with most speeding tickets is it's your word against the cops. The "keeping up with traffic, selective prosecution" excuse doesn't really buy you much. At the very least, you may want to immediately return to the area and visually document that there are no work signs posted. That should give you some leverage and will lend more credibility to your story that the entire ticket is "trumped" up.

I have seen a LOT of people pulled over recently. My guess is the police departments are feeling pressure from lawmakers to increase their ticket revenue to help fill budget gaps. I am literally seeing 5 times as many people pulled over each trip I take up and down the Turnpike as I did last year and I can not believe that's simply a coincidence.

As for points and transferring, I can't help you there. Your best bet is to meet with the ADA or whomever is there and negotiate down to a non point bearing, higher fine, ticket if they will not dismiss the ticket entirely after you prove it wasn't a work zone with your visual documentation.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:39 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
NY has the same rules as NJ in regards to your license. You only have 30-90 days to change your license once you move or you can get hit with fines and or suspension. As far as I know CT is a recipricol state so any points you might received in CT will definitly be transferable to your NJ or NY license.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 AM

453 posts, read 1,741,681 times
If you are serious about pleading not guilty and hoping for a not guilty verdict, you might want to consult an attorney. You might be offered a plea bargain of some kind.

RobRiguez is correct that your license should have been transferred, and I would do that at once. Your license, registration and insurance should all reflect your state of principal residence.

Rhys

Old 01-20-2010, 10:33 AM

If the ticket is a 4pt ticket in CT, will all the points transfer over to the NJ license? I thought I read it was just 2pts could transfer over. Anyone know for sure?

Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Change the registration and/or plates to NJ ASAP...it's fraud if you don't.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Change the registration and/or plates to NJ ASAP...it's fraud if you don't.
I have residence in NY, and therefore NY insurance and regisitration. I believe that you are actually not required/ it is not mandatory to get a new license. To be transparent, my wife has a NY liscense and the car is registered and insured under her.

So, any idea if all the points are tranferred over or just 2? The reason I ask is that if I am going to get 2 points on my license regardless of the points of the ticket in CT, it doesnt make sense to pay more/ pay down the points in a plea deal, you know?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:05 PM

50,720 posts, read 36,411,320 times
It doesn't matter at all where the car is registered or insured - if it did, you'd never be able to get a ticket or points while driving someone else's car. There is a recent thread here which said CT doesn't transfer points, so you might want to check it out. Are you close enough to go back and take a picture which shows the stretch of road he clocked you on (may not be the same stretch he pulled you over on) wasn't a work zone? Did the officer say he used radar to determine your speed? I read somewhere that "I was keeping up with traffic" is not an excuse they respond well to, so not sure if you should say that - I would google "what to say in traffic court" or something, personally.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Are you close enough to go back and take a picture which shows the stretch of road he clocked you on (may not be the same stretch he pulled you over on) wasn't a work zone?
The ticket should have the approximate area where the violation occurred(i.e: Rt.15S, X37) written on it.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,804 times
i have ct lince nj police ticket 2 points transfor to ct lince thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: