Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 10:55 AM

112 posts, read 328,261 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket in maryland once that said it was like 4 points and can tell you firsthand.

Yes, you will only get 2 points on your jersey license.

Just pay the ticket via the mail or internet and like 3 months later you'll get a letter from nj saying that 2 points have been added to your license blah blah blah.

After you get the letter you can sign up with AAA to get take a drivers ed course which will remove the 2 points and get you an insurance discount or you can just wait a year and the points will be deducted automatically as long as you dont get any further tickets within the year (nj deducts 3pts a year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 11:24 AM

112 posts, read 328,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casaverd View Post

Also, since I've never been pulled over before or rec'd a ticket (in my 16years of driving), I am going to appeal. I certainly was just keeping up with traffic, but not going 76MPH, which makes it 21MPH over the speed limit (and puts the ticket into a higher bracket). The other thing is that is was not a posted work zone, which in effect, doubled the fine (and I think the points). Any good statements I can utilize in my defense? Any suggestions are welcome.

Traffic court doesnt work that way,

Just pay the ticket....

Any decent traffic court lawyer will cost you at the very least 4 to 5 times whatever the fine is and the judge will either laugh at you or rip you to shreds without one, on top of that you'll probably have to miss work, pay court costs, and it's highly likely that you'll lose even with a good lawyer.

the only time it's worth it to go through that nightmare is if you're going to plea bargain (ie: get a 4pt ticket reduced to 2pts which in this case is useless since you're only going to get 2pts anyway) or if you're in danger of getting your license suspended (in which case you better have a lawyer to help you plea bargain).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: