Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times

Advertisements

Friday I was driving on 81 south in Virginia doing 80 and got pulled over in a 65 mph zone. Concerned about keeping the points off my license, I never had any points before and this is my first speeding ticket ever.

I rather not spend 100sss on some lawyer and I don't plan to drive 500 miles to court to see the judge, lol.

Ever happen to anyone? Do those safety driving courses help remove a point or 2? I'm about to call my dmv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:31 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,692,119 times
Yes, the safe driving course does remove the points, but you can only do it so many times in a certain period.

I would also try calling the prosecutor and see if you can plead down the ticket to avoid the points. May not require appearing before the judge. You don't need a lawyer for that.

BTW - You may want to consider the costs of pleading guilty when it comes to fees and such in NJ along with your insurance vs. hiring a lawyer to plead down for you if you can. May be cheaper in the long run.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM

391 posts, read 1,476,612 times
not all states share their violation info with other states. I would start by calling the municipality in VA and ask them if they share info with NJ.

I got a speeding ticket in VT and the points never showed up on my motor vehicle record. I also got a speeding ticket in NY (which does share info with NJ) and I was able to plead by mail to a no points violation.

Old 09-10-2009, 08:46 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Also there are now several online courses you can take from your PC that will knock 2 points off a NJ license. I think there about $50 but haven't checked in a while.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:38 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
I would not worry about it. The points are going to show up. It will be 2 points.

NOT worth your time to go back to VA to fight it, especially if you were guilty. Especially since you said it's your first ticket.

I always seem to get tickets when I travel Never at home.

Could take that class people are talking about, but is it worth your time? I'd definitely do an ONLINE course, but the classroom courses are not very fun.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:19 AM

229 posts, read 923,611 times
Advice from a frequent offender:

AS stated, any out of state points become 2 points in NJ. Since this is your only ticket, 2 points will not have an effect on your DL, nor will you incur surcharges, etc. MOST insurance companies do not change rates for 2 points, but there is a catch here.

DL points and Insurance points are two different things. Even if you take the class to remove the two points from your DL, you will still have 2 insurance points. Insurance points only come off with time, there is no shortcut nor way to remove them early.

That being said, unless you move, change insurance companies, or in some other way cause your insurance to look at your DL, they most likely will not see you have the points.

Long story short, as long as you do not plan on racking up any more points any time soon, just pay the ticket, live with the 2 points on your DL and they will come off in 1 year.

For insurance, there is nothing to do, and again, most companies do not change rates for 2 points.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:42 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,743 times
I believe insurance points hang with you for 7 years which is a long time. As for not changing rates, might be true over 2 points BUT if the offender has a less than prefect credit score, that 2 points combined with that score might be enough to bump the policy into a higher risk category resulting in a higher premium. Many insurance companies are using a formula with credit scores, points, etc to screen drivers.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:58 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I would not worry about it. The points are going to show up. It will be 2 points.

NOT worth your time to go back to VA to fight it, especially if you were guilty. Especially since you said it's your first ticket.

I always seem to get tickets when I travel Never at home.

Could take that class people are talking about, but is it worth your time? I'd definitely do an ONLINE course, but the classroom courses are not very fun.
LOL - me too, but not always. Have gotten tkts in WA and NC and both times got points. My insurance never went up nor did I get a surcharge (this is in response to a post about insurance going up).

Old 09-11-2009, 08:03 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,423,014 times
Received a ticket once in FL, don't know whatever happened to it all since I didn't pay it. Never received any notices or summonses in the mail and it never affected my DL here in NJ, but then again, this was all before the internet.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
My son got into trouble in Pa they suspended his license even though he only had a NJ license. His license was never suspended in NJ and he never paid any fines in Pa or NJ, after the suspension was up he got a letter from Ps saying his license was restored. I never understood that at all, unless he wasnt allowed to drive in Pa?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: