Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 06:09 AM

53 posts, read 423,690 times

Advertisements

I recently got an out of state speeding ticket for going 14 over. Based on what I read, it will come over to NJ as 2points. I've been driving for 15yrs without a ticket. Does the insurance company usually raise rates on your first ticket (2pts)? If they don't raise rates, would they lower my current discount? I'm with geico.

I think I have the following options:

1. Pay the $250 fine and hope the insurance company doesnt raise the rate

2. Hire a lawyer pay about $400-$600 depending on the resolution. Although even if he gets it reduced to 0pts, unless it is completely thrown out, I think it is still on my record so I dont know what the insurance does.

I can't show up to court because it is too far away and they say I have to be there in person.

I just took a defensive driving course a few months ago for the discount so I can't take it again to remove the two points unless there's another course I don't know about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 AM

525 posts, read 904,813 times
get a lawyer to reduce the ticket, in other words ask the court to lower the speed you were traveling at so its not 2 points. I've had it done before. I am not a lawyer.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM

7,073 posts, read 19,444,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbgm View Post
I recently got an out of state speeding ticket for going 14 over. Based on what I read, it will come over to NJ as 2points. I've been driving for 15yrs without a ticket. Does the insurance company usually raise rates on your first ticket (2pts)? If they don't raise rates, would they lower my current discount? I'm with geico.

I think I have the following options:

1. Pay the $250 fine and hope the insurance company doesnt raise the rate

2. Hire a lawyer pay about $400-$600 depending on the resolution. Although even if he gets it reduced to 0pts, unless it is completely thrown out, I think it is still on my record so I dont know what the insurance does.

I can't show up to court because it is too far away and they say I have to be there in person.

I just took a defensive driving course a few months ago for the discount so I can't take it again to remove the two points unless there's another course I don't know about.
When I got an out-of-state speeding ticket in 2009, I took Option 1. I'm not sure if Geico never checked, or if they "let you have the first one free" but my rate never changed by more than the usual $20 or $30 per year increase. It's risky, but for me it saved a few hundred bucks in the end.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:43 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,702,440 times
Quote:
get a lawyer to reduce the ticket, in other words ask the court to lower the speed
Get a lawyer and have him travel out of state to fight the summons? The cost would be near a thousand or more. Courts don't negotiate over the phone.

You will get two points for the out of state summons. If you plead guilty, the state of NJ will access two points which can be removed by taking any of the driver improvement courses when you are eligible. They are even available online. Take a motorcycle MSF course, get a MC endorsement and lose the points having fun at the same time.

Even still a major rate increase probably will not happen for only one summons. Contact your insurance agent to review that question.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:24 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,931,280 times
You'd have to check your policy, but most ignore the first two points you are assessed. For the vast majority of people, you are just better off pleading guilty and paying the out of state ticket as fighting it could be very costly.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM

7,073 posts, read 19,444,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Get a lawyer and have him travel out of state to fight the summons? The cost would be near a thousand or more. Courts don't negotiate over the phone.

You will get two points for the out of state summons. If you plead guilty, the state of NJ will access two points which can be removed by taking any of the driver improvement courses when you are eligible. They are even available online. Take a motorcycle MSF course, get a MC endorsement and lose the points having fun at the same time.

Even still a major rate increase probably will not happen for only one summons. Contact your insurance agent to review that question.
You can hire a lawyer in the jurisdiction where the charge was made. You work with them over the phone/email, and they represent you in court.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:59 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,944,174 times
Option 1.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM

391 posts, read 1,485,039 times
i agree with option 1. if this is your first ticket and you've had no recent chargable accidents, i highly doubt they will raise your rate. if they do, shop for another insurance company.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 PM

53 posts, read 423,690 times
Thanks, I basically had no idea what the insurance company usually does. but if there is a low likelihood of my insurance rate going up by more than $200-$400 over the next few years, then I'll just pay the ticket.

Just to clarify, Regarding option 2, I contacted an out of state lawyer. He told me that if it is reduced or thrown out, I will have to pay $225 to him and the city will want about $200. So if I used that option I would pay $425 - $675 depending out the reduction. I don't pay anything if he can't get a reduction but ofcourse by going to court, the fine could go up.

Unfortunately, I just took a defensive driving course a few months ago for the discount so I can't take it again to remove the two points unless there's another course I don't know about. I don't know about the motorcycle course, I would assume that I would only receive a discount if I had a motorcycle on the policy. Are there any other courses I can take to remove points?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,944,174 times
i believe most people over think these things. the time and money wasted is probably negligible. ESPECIALLY for a first time offender. I get a pretty decent ticket every 3 or 4 years, and my rate has never gone up.

put it this way. if you pay $500 for a lawyer and $250 in "court fees" is it worth it , even if your premium went up $750 in total over some number of years , then you broke even for wasting your time, stress, etc.

If you are interested in getting low cheap insurance, you might check Progressive MyRate (now called SnapShot) and drive very defensively for a month. You install a device on your vehicle which monitors your driving habits. It's only 1 month I think. It might be 3 months. Drive very well (no speeding, flooring gas or brakes ) and your insurance will go down a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey