Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,359,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
There are (or will be) 20!!!!!! Walmarts within a 40mile radius of Edison. 9 within a 15 mile radius.
Walmart.com - Store Finder Results

My MIL and DW are thrilled about this simply for the cost savings, but personally I dont really like Walmart. I think 80-90% of all their products are made over seas, they have a scetchy past in regards to discrimination and hiring practices, they are or have been known to be 'Maint Street' killers (moreso in less populated areas of the country) and IMO they are just too damn big and dont need my money.

In regards to SuperWalmarts, I would much rather support a locally owned business (Shoprite and such are franchise names owned by individuals in most cases) than a huge corporate entity.

Amen!! I'd give you reps but it won't let me.

Did you know right over by where you live there was a chicken farm until the 80s? It's hard to believe that now but the farm house is still there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 PM

445 posts, read 1,986,191 times
As far as i know, they are supposed to be opening a walmart in forked river. I think it is supposed to be a super walmart. I am not a big fan of walmart. I would like to see Target open some super centers in New Jersey. There is a super target opening in Elizabeth in 2009. Right off of exit 13a on the turnpike, by ikea.

Old 11-01-2008, 04:29 AM

2,404 posts, read 10,695,256 times
i had always thought that they never opened a super walmart in NJ because people there are more apt to frequent the independently owned stores...

Old 11-01-2008, 10:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,410,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvkewlkid View Post
i had always thought that they never opened a super walmart in NJ because people there are more apt to frequent the independently owned stores...
The reason they'd never opened a SuperWalmart in NJ was that they were having too many problems trying to get around the unions that represent the workers in most of the other food stores. I guess they either found a way around it, or just decided to go forward anyway.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,177 times
I would like to invite all of you to attend the Grand Opening which will be Wednesday November 12, at 7:15am. Please tell everyone you know. Spread the word! Save Money. Live Better.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,956,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstandi View Post
I would like to invite all of you to attend the Grand Opening which will be Wednesday November 12, at 7:15am. Please tell everyone you know. Spread the word! Save Money. Live Better.
This is not a SuperCenter, correct?

Old 11-01-2008, 04:32 PM

37 posts, read 136,231 times
Wstandi, you seem to be in the know. Any freebies for the early birds? I received an umbrella at the opening of the Woodbridge store. Also, is it a SuperCenter? Whatever, see you there bright and early.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:33 PM

517 posts, read 1,807,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Amendment: A new WalMart Supercenter is scheduled for opening in Vineland in early 2009: New Wal-Mart on track for 2009 | thedailyjournal.com | The Daily Journal (http://www.thedailyjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/NEWS01/809040332 - broken link)

Let's face it though: how many people in the forum really know anyone from this area? I've encountered maybe a dozen Cumberland County NJ people in my life, most from my last job in NJ.
Vineland? That makes no sense. WHy there? How about in Central or North Jersey where they would do really well. Our cost of living is much higher central to the north. Wouldn't that make sense?

Old 11-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
A Super Walmart opened recently in Deptford, NJ right off of Route 42. This is the only one I know of in NJ that is open.
I just looked on the map- that's south Jersey.

Why don't they put the next one in Central or North Jersey instead of another in South Jersey?

That's crazy. Thanks for the info though.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsa162 View Post
As far as i know, they are supposed to be opening a walmart in forked river. I think it is supposed to be a super walmart. I am not a big fan of walmart. I would like to see Target open some super centers in New Jersey. There is a super target opening in Elizabeth in 2009. Right off of exit 13a on the turnpike, by ikea.
You know, all of these openings are crazy. Why would they be opening a Target when there is a nice sized Target in Linden on Rt. 1&9, which is about 10 min. away. I can't believe this news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey