Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 10,271 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We are planning to buy a home. We've been thinking about the Edison/North Edison area b/c of its good school system and supposed ease of commute. I have a couple of questions.

1. We were hoping to find a place near the train station so that we could walk to the train station. I have been told that buying a place close by to the train station is not a good idea. What are your thoughts and suggestions.

2. If we buy a house in these areas, do we have to depend on a car to go to the train station? What are the options of commute to NYC from these areas.

3. Are there any specific parts of Edison/North Edison that we should pay close attention to for ease of commute?

4. Any recommended realtors?

Masti77
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 23,500 times
Hi, I just recently bought a house in North Edison 5 to 10 mins away from metropark station by driving, but prolly will take 30min to walk and I dont' recommend walking tho. I used to commute to NYC from edison and I personally hate going to metropark b/c it has too much traffic in the morning and I can never find a seat. What I do is I usually drive and park in Metuchen station and take transit from there instead of going to metropark. Another thing you need to be aware is you need a parking permit to park in these stations. I think there are buses that can take you to the train station, you might want to look into that. I saw a lot of ppl have their wife or hubby drop them off in the morning

I think buying a place that's too close to the train station is not a good idea unless you can't hear the train. Too close to train is going to be noisy and hard to sell in the future in my opinion.
If you have kids I would try to find a house in NEdison b/c school system. There are some houses that's off Grove or Inman Ave are really nice. If you decide to look outside of NE, try Clara Barton they have some very charming houses, but old tho. Good luck with the search

Old 02-26-2010, 06:55 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,018,863 times
If you will be driving to train, then it really doesn't matter where in Edison or N. Edison. Look at all the homes in your price range, with the amenities you are looking for, and that may help you decide where you want to be.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM

312 posts, read 1,163,725 times
My wife and I moved to North Edison a year and a half ago for basically the same reasons. Good schools and easy commute into NYC as we both work in Manhattan. North Edison is basically serviced by two train stations, Metuchen and Metropark. Metuchen is a stop earlier so seating will be easier, however the waiting list for monthly parking is currently 4 years long. Metropark monthly parking waiting list was only 6 months long when I applied. I gotta tell you I can not wait till I get my Metuchen monthly parking but using Metropark is manageable. I catch a train anywhere between 7am to 8am and only once per month on average do I not get a seat. Traffic into Metropark is not horrible but gets worse the closer you get to 8am. Traffic out is kinda bad unless you are the first one off the train and into your car. Otherwise it's a big bottle neck getting out of the station.

If you want to walk to Metropark there is only one patch of homes right off Rt. 27 that i think make for an acceptable walk. Personally I think the area is not as nice or quiet as other parts of North Edison and would only move to that area if you are dead set against driving to the station. If you do want to walk be warned that in bad weather the walk would not be comfortable and at night it is very dark so you'd have be be careful of motor vehicles. I along with a lot of other drivers cut through this area as a short cut from Metropark.

Another option if you want to walk to the train station is Metuchen. I think a good portion of Metuchen is actually walkable to Metuchen station. Metuchen is a little more expensive and you wont find houses as big as you would find in North Edison but you do get a great school system and more of a neighborhood feel.

My wife and I investigated a lot of different areas when we were house hunting so if you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:08 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,138 times
If budget permits, I would take Metuchen over Edison any day.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:00 PM

39 posts, read 57,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
My wife and I moved to North Edison a year and a half ago for basically the same reasons. Good schools and easy commute into NYC as we both work in Manhattan. North Edison is basically serviced by two train stations, Metuchen and Metropark. Metuchen is a stop earlier so seating will be easier, however the waiting list for monthly parking is currently 4 years long. Metropark monthly parking waiting list was only 6 months long when I applied. I gotta tell you I can not wait till I get my Metuchen monthly parking but using Metropark is manageable. I catch a train anywhere between 7am to 8am and only once per month on average do I not get a seat. Traffic into Metropark is not horrible but gets worse the closer you get to 8am. Traffic out is kinda bad unless you are the first one off the train and into your car. Otherwise it's a big bottle neck getting out of the station.

If you want to walk to Metropark there is only one patch of homes right off Rt. 27 that i think make for an acceptable walk. Personally I think the area is not as nice or quiet as other parts of North Edison and would only move to that area if you are dead set against driving to the station. If you do want to walk be warned that in bad weather the walk would not be comfortable and at night it is very dark so you'd have be be careful of motor vehicles. I along with a lot of other drivers cut through this area as a short cut from Metropark.

Another option if you want to walk to the train station is Metuchen. I think a good portion of Metuchen is actually walkable to Metuchen station. Metuchen is a little more expensive and you wont find houses as big as you would find in North Edison but you do get a great school system and more of a neighborhood feel.

My wife and I investigated a lot of different areas when we were house hunting so if you have any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask.
hi,
is there any vibrant community in north Edison which u can suggest.I have 1 daughter who is 10 yrs old.So can u suggest some communities please

Old 05-18-2017, 04:07 PM

19,113 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoni View Post
hi,
is there any vibrant community in north Edison which u can suggest.I have 1 daughter who is 10 yrs old.So can u suggest some communities please
The person to whom you were responding has not posted anything--in any CD forum--for over 4 years.
While it is possible that he might see your post, I think that this possibility is...remote.

Old 05-19-2017, 08:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post

You didn't mention to the OP the ride home can be downright nasty after 5:30pm. Of the 3 NJtransit train lines that goes to those stops it is a mad rush. On a perfect day, you can get a seat but normal times you won't unless you are in front of everybody else.

Last month, even just a few days ago when the trains are backed up. You can't even get on the train in the afternoon as they were all overcrowded.

That's the main problem I have with Woodbridge to New Brunswick train stops is they are at or above capacity. Without additional rails they cannot service all the people especially when problem arise.

Just wait in a few weeks when summer is here NJtransit is famous for having power outages and you and others will have nothing be grief over the heat, delays, and fighting all the unsavory people on the train. Hey atleast your kids will enjoy the schools, maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey