Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 07:09 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,370 times

Advertisements

We may be relocating there. Need info. on schools, area, clean, old/new, housing prices, shopping, crime and good place to raise kids. Please let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2006, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 29,411 times
I have friends who teach there...one side of the city is better than the other..I think north is good..JP Stevens is the "better" HS. Edison is nice in parts but full of traffic and very populated. loads of eateries, movies, shopping etc...close to malls. If you want quiet or less traffic highland park is a nicer but more expensive choice...go north side there too. Other great areas near Edison: metuchen ( very expensive) Milltown, North Brunswick..good luck

Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
I work in Edison and similar to the second poster-certain areas are nice and others aren't. It is a little congested at certaing times during the day, but as long as your house isn't on Route 1, Woodbridge Avenue, or Amboy Avenue, you would only have to deal with it when you're going to work-which you would likely have to do anywhere. I would say to give it a shot, but just make sure you drive around the neighborhood you're considering before you buy.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:56 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
As has already been said, the North side is the "better" side- also the more expensive side. Houses can range from $280-300k for an older 3BR cape on the South side, to over $1 million for some of the newer homes being built on the North side. There are a number of new homes going up- usually on lots subdivided off of someone's side yard, or by doing a teardown of an existing house.

For shopping, Menlo Park Mall is in Edison, and it's slightly more upscale than Woodbridge Center which is 3 miles away. MP has Nordstrom and Macys, while WC has Penneys, Fortunoff, Lord & Taylor and Sears. There are also several downtown areas with tons of shops, though the main one on Oak Tree Road has been entirely bought up by Indians and Middle Easterners and is affectionately called "Little India". On the weekends, you can barely drive down the road- people walking out in front of you, sidewalks jammed, and the smell of spices everywhere (especially in the summer....lol). There is a very large Indian and Chinese population in Edison, so if that's an issue for you, you may want to consider another area- in fact, the mayor of Edison is Chinese.

I live in Iselin, which borders Edison, so if there's anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

Bob

Old 10-11-2006, 02:28 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4 View Post
We may be relocating there. Need info. on schools, area, clean, old/new, housing prices, shopping, crime and good place to raise kids. Please let me know. Thanks
I can give you a sound piece of advice. When you are driving in Edison keep your head on a swivel and pay close attention. That is all I will say on that topic, draw your own conclusions!

Old 10-11-2006, 04:03 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,391,026 times
Edison is very sprawly and suburban. There isn't really a central business district or downtown with character as there are in surrounding communities, unless you consider the "Little India" in the Oak Tree Road area (which I believe actually lies in Iselin) to be one. Overall, it's a good place to live. Safe, nice homes, good schools and access to shopping with all of the typical suburban amenities.

Just as a little nitpick, I have to point out that the mayor of Edison Jun Choi, is actually Korean, not Chinese.

Old 10-12-2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
Edison is very sprawly and suburban. There isn't really a central business district or downtown with character as there are in surrounding communities, unless you consider the "Little India" in the Oak Tree Road area (which I believe actually lies in Iselin) to be one. Overall, it's a good place to live. Safe, nice homes, good schools and access to shopping with all of the typical suburban amenities.

Just as a little nitpick, I have to point out that the mayor of Edison Jun Choi, is actually Korean, not Chinese.
True, the majority of "Little India" is in Iselin- Edison starts at Wood Ave where Oak Tree Road gets a little less congested.

I was going to write "oriental" instead of "Chinese" regarding the mayor, but I was 99% sure I had read somewhere that he was Chinese. Looks like that last 1% won out...lol.

Bob

Old 10-12-2006, 05:39 AM

146 posts, read 506,560 times
mom4,
Edison has terrific schools, my three kids went through the system. The northern part has more expensive housing than the southern part. People are buying older homes, dropping them to the ground and then building gorgeous homes from the ground up. There is a huge Indian/Asian population here on the north side, so you may want to take that into consideration. I live within walking distance to the the elementary, middle and high schools. Crime was never a big factor here, although I do think it's "buried" a bit. Tons of shopping nearby. You have the two malls real close, and a nice downtown area in Metuchen or Westfield. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:07 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
True, the majority of "Little India" is in Iselin- Edison starts at Wood Ave where Oak Tree Road gets a little less congested.

I was going to write "oriental" instead of "Chinese" regarding the mayor, but I was 99% sure I had read somewhere that he was Chinese. Looks like that last 1% won out...lol.

Bob
Just additional nit-picking "Oriental" is the rug-Asian are the people. Friends of mine told their mother this one day and it has always been in my head

Old 10-12-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Just additional nit-picking "Oriental" is the rug-Asian are the people. Friends of mine told their mother this one day and it has always been in my head
I can't win- last time I got chastised for calling Indians "Middle Eastern"- I was told that they're actually "Asians". And now this....

From now on, I'm going to consider everyone as either "Caucasian" or "non-Caucasian"- I'll probably get corrected on that somewhere along the line too....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey