Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM

517 posts, read 1,806,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I for one am dreading it. 27 and rt1 are parking lots. Its rediculous as it is now and they are advertising that a new stripmall to the likes of Airport Plaza in Linden is going in where the old Ford plan used to be. We already have 3 big movies theaters within 15 min of our house and they are thinking of putting another in. WTF? Im all for convenience and having things nearby (no its not a NIMBY issue) its just that the roads are already packed full of traffic (Its almost as bad as 18 and 22) and they want to add more. No thank you.
I don't understand how they go about making these decisions. I work near Rt. 27 and I can't imagine that that area needs anymore stores or movie theatres. I think we all need a Walmart Superstore but not another regular Walmart. There's one in Woodbridge on Rt. 1 & 9, one in Linden on Rt. 1 & 9, one in Old Bridge on Rt. 9 and another on Rt. 22. How many of the same kind do you need?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:56 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMTeacher View Post
Why is it that the othe states have SuperWalmarts and we don't? I think I will be e-mailing them to ask. I would love to do all my shopping in one place. NY, PA, NC have them and I'm sure many other states.

Does anyone know why?
So this is not a Super Walmart? It looks big enough. I shopped at a Super Walmart out in Pa. and they are great. As you say, everything in 1 spot.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:16 AM

48 posts, read 233,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithexit View Post
I am also looking to know about this! I went on the website to see if they were hiring so my son can get a job there. they didn't have anything on there either.
The job hiring for this walmart has already started. I am sorry I do not have the specifics but I am sure on this info. They have a seperate employment office somewhere in South Edison.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:31 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times
We do Super Walmart Runs about 6X a year when we are VERY low on groceries. We save about 1/3. It has to be worth the trip and gas.

Certain things are MUCH lower. Frozen is HUGE. Bottled brand items like salad dressing are much lower.

I have heard 3rd hand that the grocery unions politically block most attempts at building SUPER Walmarts.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:44 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
We do Super Walmart Runs about 6X a year when we are VERY low on groceries. We save about 1/3. It has to be worth the trip and gas.

Certain things are MUCH lower. Frozen is HUGE. Bottled brand items like salad dressing are much lower.

I have heard 3rd hand that the grocery unions politically block most attempts at building SUPER Walmarts.
The UCFW is a huge deterrent to Wal-Mart SuperCenters taking hold in New Jersey. The UCFW has much more clout in NJ than most other states when it comes to voicing displeasure.

It seems to me, moreover, that areas in which the political climate is more progressive don't contain Wal-Mart Supercenters. New Mexico has them in every major city (in NM, a major city is in excess of 5,000 people) with the notable exception of Santa Fe and Taos. There are Wal-Marts there, however, not Super Wal-Marts.

The state of California has less Super Wal-Marts per capita than any other state except for Vermont and New Jersey. The few they have are all contained in the Central and Imperial Valleys, which are more rural. You can't find one in Los Angeles or the SF Bay Area. There is definitely a reason for this. San Diego County tried to build one, and council members vigorously opposed the measure, as did the majority of residents. As a result, it was never built.

Amendment: A new WalMart Supercenter is scheduled for opening in Vineland in early 2009: http://www.thedailyjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080904/NEWS01/809040332 (broken link)

Let's face it though: how many people in the forum really know anyone from this area? I've encountered maybe a dozen Cumberland County NJ people in my life, most from my last job in NJ.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:10 AM
r7p

21 posts, read 68,645 times
I haven't seen Super Walmart in Northern MA where I lived for few years. Luckily, bordering NH provided all of the shopping need tax free. As far as grocery(mostly produce, milk & meat) goes, Super Walmart couldn't beat local Market Basket in prices. There were few items(packed grocery) where Walmart had edge. But it was too much hassel to drive 7-10 miles for that.

I couldn't find store like Market Basket in Souther NJ. Closest match(in terms of price & distance) is ShopRite when they have items on sale.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:41 AM

691 posts, read 3,060,685 times
A Super Walmart opened recently in Deptford, NJ right off of Route 42. This is the only one I know of in NJ that is open.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:10 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,517,682 times
The Wallmart in Lumberton on 38 is supposed to expand to a Super Walmart but its been tied up in litigation for years.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:11 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,356,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I for one am dreading it. 27 and rt1 are parking lots. Its rediculous as it is now and they are advertising that a new stripmall to the likes of Airport Plaza in Linden is going in where the old Ford plan used to be. We already have 3 big movies theaters within 15 min of our house and they are thinking of putting another in. WTF? Im all for convenience and having things nearby (no its not a NIMBY issue) its just that the roads are already packed full of traffic (Its almost as bad as 18 and 22) and they want to add more. No thank you.
I agree. Vineyard Rd. will be nuts.... I remember when that was a short cut... No more..

Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
There are (or will be) 20!!!!!! Walmarts within a 40mile radius of Edison. 9 within a 15 mile radius.
http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/...arch_zip=08817

My MIL and DW are thrilled about this simply for the cost savings, but personally I dont really like Walmart. I think 80-90% of all their products are made over seas, they have a scetchy past in regards to discrimination and hiring practices, they are or have been known to be 'Maint Street' killers (moreso in less populated areas of the country) and IMO they are just too damn big and dont need my money.

In regards to SuperWalmarts, I would much rather support a locally owned business (Shoprite and such are franchise names owned by individuals in most cases) than a huge corporate entity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey