Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 04:06 PM

19,147 posts, read 25,375,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Is it possible that there is an odd 66 year old that gets cranky (turret syndrome cranky) because he has dietaries and smashes the doors and cabinets, then there is an impressionable young girl, who is scared.

A gun in this situation is the best solution, I am sure.

Get a boyfriend, is a much better advice !

What if there is a machine gun mounted in his turret?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,082,493 times
I kinda think this might make a great sitcom. "Perverted Ol' Darrell & Daisy"

Old 11-12-2014, 06:20 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
Is it possible that there is an odd 66 year old that gets cranky (turret syndrome cranky) because he has dietaries and smashes the doors and cabinets, then there is an impressionable young girl, who is scared.

A gun in this situation is the best solution, I am sure.

Get a boyfriend, is a much better advice !
the best solution is to leave but in the meantime, she needs a gun. what would you advise she does if he pulls a knife on her? I bet if someone pulled a knife on you, you would want to have a gun in that moment. its impressive that you think "impressionable young girls" shouldn't be prepared to defend themselves.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,293,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the best solution is to leave but in the meantime, she needs a gun. what would you advise she does if he pulls a knife on her? I bet if someone pulled a knife on you, you would want to have a gun in that moment. its impressive that you think "impressionable young girls" shouldn't be prepared to defend themselves.
Considering that the police and the court didn't feel there was enough proof that this nut actually was threatening her with a knife, what is going to happen if the same thing happens and she takes out a gun and shoots him? Isn't there a concern that she would be charged with murder and then they build a case against her because she had no proof about this guy from the start and said she was the problem all along?

Old 11-13-2014, 04:23 AM

93 posts, read 130,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Considering that the police and the court didn't feel there was enough proof that this nut actually was threatening her with a knife, what is going to happen if the same thing happens and she takes out a gun and shoots him? Isn't there a concern that she would be charged with murder and then they build a case against her because she had no proof about this guy from the start and said she was the problem all along?
That is the sad fact in NJ, that anything related to firearms, including lawful self defense, is vilified. Regardless of whether or not she is justified in shooting him, she will be led out in handcuffs, jailed if she can't make bail, and have to incur substantial legal fees to protect herself from a prosecutor looking to put another notch in his belt and possibly also from family members looking to make a buck in civil court. I hope OP doesn't end up in the situation having to be "judged by 12 or carried by 6", but if you really think about it, which would you choose?

It's really easily to dismiss the guy as simply some disturbed individual that's misunderstood by society when it isn't your mother, sister, or daughter that's being threatened by him.

Edit: In general, I do believe OP should get a gun, and more importantly, get trained in its use. It's not as easy as it seems in the movies and tv. The problem is that I don't think it's going to help in this situation because getting one in NJ can be a 2-6 month process, and I bet her lease will be up by the time she actually gets a ID card/permit to buy one.

Btw, here's a great post on how a gun owner should deal with an intruder

https://www.city-data.com/forum/37158744-post4.html

Last edited by grm215; 11-13-2014 at 04:37 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 07:51 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,438,444 times
Quote:
Mofo comes in my apartment with a knife and I will empty the clip on his sorry ass! The police are going to see the knife and get fingerprints, because he's not going to be walking away.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times
Quote:
yeah? and if your mother had a guy pull a knife on her, you would want her to not have a gun or not use a gun because the court may not believe that her life is in danger? i have strict rules for my wife and none of them limit her use of a gun due to legal concerns. if danger is present, you shoot.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 AM

29 posts, read 35,294 times
I'm not getting a gun. I will take donations considering that I signed up to move and I need 200 lol.

Like I said I appreciate the comments and suggestions but I'll take it from here.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanagloriana View Post
I'm not getting a gun. I will take donations considering that I signed up to move and I need 200 lol.

Like I said I appreciate the comments and suggestions but I'll take it from here.
I have a suggestion, about the move. Get an intermediate mailing address, such as a PO Box or one from a UPS Store. File a change of address for the post office to this intermediate address. After you have contact the sources to have the address officially changed, then you can get rid of the intermediate mailing address. The purpose of this, is so this nut doesn't try to stalk you, or continue to harass you by sending you stuff in the mail to your new place or worse, come there to bother you. PO Boxes are usually cheaper than a UPS Store box, but the UPS Store appears as a street address. You can also get the UPS Store for short period of time like 6 months, maybe even 3.

With the UPS Store, you can have them one a week or whenever manually put stuff in an envelope and mail to your new place, if you don't have the time to go there. You can also phone them to ask if you have any mail and tell you who it's from.

Hope this helps!

I wish you peace in your new place.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah? and if your mother had a guy pull a knife on her, you would want her to not have a gun or not use a gun because the court may not believe that her life is in danger? i have strict rules for my wife and none of them limit her use of a gun due to legal concerns. if danger is present, you shoot.
I'm not talking about the situation, I'm talking about how one could protect themselves so they aren't charged with a crime afterwards. That's a valid question. Everyone stops the advice after saying get a gun and shoot the guy. OK, you shoot what you believe to be the bad guy. How should this be done in NJ that it was a legit and non-disputed situation. I don't work in law enforcement and I'm not an attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey