Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,749,013 times

Advertisements

posting a thread about a ticket you received is begging to have a bunch of people telling you how irresponsible you are and how you should stop crying about your ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 02:15 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,057,416 times
If I was this guy's insurance company, and I got wind of this, I'd drop him instantly. I drive through this construction zone all the time on my way to play poker and there is no point at which it is safe to be doing 95. Forget the construction workers, just the danger from running into a deer is sufficient to make this an incredibly stupid act of negligence.

OP, I hope you lose your license. You need a serious impact to disabuse you of doing this again.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:18 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,416,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
If I was this guy's insurance company, and I got wind of this, I'd drop him instantly. I drive through this construction zone all the time on my way to play poker and there is no point at which it is safe to be doing 95. Forget the construction workers, just the danger from running into a deer is sufficient to make this an incredibly stupid act of negligence.

OP, I hope you lose your license. You need a serious impact to disabuse you of doing this again.
Gotcha Daddy.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,638,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I would ask JohnFrisco he is the expert as he gets them every month or two.
Thanks, I almost puked when I read it!

Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,638,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
I am surprised you only got 5 points. You could have got a careless/reckless driving ticket as well. - Don't forget in a construction zone points are doubled. You also are going to be happy when you get your new driving insurance quote. Expect it to go up by at least 30%, enjoy the ride.
Not 39:4-96. Reckless driving. You need to prove willful or wanton disregard of the rights or safety of others. I wrote it about a half dozen times in 30+ years (you have to know the judges you are dealing with and what they will accept as proof). The tickets were upheld as Reckless twice and the other times amended to Careless on a plea. The two times the tickets were upheld as Reckless both involved high speed chases, with driving on sidewalks, wrong way on one way and one with traveling south in the north bound lanes of RT. 1-9 that resulted in an accident with serious injuries.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM

323 posts, read 576,007 times
there is absolutely no excuse for driving 95 in any speed zone

it doesnt matter if the person next to you is bleeding profusely ,this does not give you the right to endanger others

it seems you have a history of speeding and if i was the judge you would lose your license for 6 months and do community service for 100 hrs

if you dont care about your life thats one thing,but dont put others in danger

dont look to plead down anything ,you were wrong and you need to pay the piper ,its as simple as that

Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post

it doesnt matter if the person next to you is bleeding profusely ,this does not give you the right to endanger others
Meh. 95 isn't that fast, particularly not on a highway. And your statement simply shows a profound lack of understanding of risk. If there's a person next to me bleeding profusely and he'll definitely survive if I do 95 (presumably to the hospital) and definitely die if I do 45, I'm doing 95. That's 1 life saved. Weigh against that the statistically expected number of lives lost in traffic accidents (including my passenger) by my doing 95mph compared to 45mph -- tiny fractions.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,114,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikinman63 View Post
That's a bit extreme. A construction zone on the GSP, certainly not without one amazing reason.

A divided interstate with long sight lines and very little traffic? (Ex: Montana) I don't really care if you're doing 150 as long as you are the only person you were endangering. (And if you were driving a vehicle capable of handling the speeds and had high-speed experience, the risk to you is pretty minimal as well).

Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,970,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
While I don't have some sort of moral opposition to speeding and think many speed limits are too low, going 50mph over the limit on a busy road, is pretty dangerous to everyone unless you have some sort of racing background.
A person could be the most skilled and masterful NASCAR driver superstar to ever grace a driver's seat, and it would still not make it any safer for that person to go 95 mph on a public highway. Car races are confined to a track isolated from general traffic, the general public and obstacles. That's why it's no big deal for them to go 95. Plus, official racing cars are built differently than the average sedan (and if the OP was driving something like a Jeep or an SUV, that's even worse). Not to mention, there are paramedics on standby on the side of the track. 95 mph on a racetrack and 95 mph on the GSP are 2 very, very different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Meh. 95 isn't that fast, particularly not on a highway. And your statement simply shows a profound lack of understanding of risk. If there's a person next to me bleeding profusely and he'll definitely survive if I do 95 (presumably to the hospital) and definitely die if I do 45, I'm doing 95. That's 1 life saved. Weigh against that the statistically expected number of lives lost in traffic accidents (including my passenger) by my doing 95mph compared to 45mph -- tiny fractions.
I understand what you're saying about a bleeding loved one on the brink of death, but that's kind of taking things too far, I think. If someone were really in that position, they would call an ambulance. And I don't even think ambulances go 95 mph.

At 95 (even 85 and 90) you start to lose steering & handling and the car starts getting drifty. At least, you don't have as good control as when you're going 70 or 80.

95 is way too fast for the average Joe driving an average car on a highway in NJ, the mostly densely populated state in the country. Construction zone or no, I don't think 95 is reasonable at all. There is a reason NJ's auto insurance is among the costliest.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,347,780 times
MVC is going to surcharge you. If you get 6 points or more within 3 years, you get surcharged. That is separate from your insurance raising your rates. I honestly have no idea how much the surcharges are, but I would guess they are not cheap.

Driving that fast may have seemed like a good idea to you at the time, but your wallet will ultimately pay the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey