Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 14,991 times

Advertisements

hey guys, i need some advice.

I just got pulled over for the first time, ive been driving for 2+ years.
I was going 70 in a 50 (i know, but it was completely safe i was the only one on the road)
the cop wrote me a ticket for 69 in a 50 so the ticket wasnt in the 20+ mph bracket which apparently is much worse.

I know im gonna end up with points and a fine, but my biggest concern is the insurance going up, cause I dont wanna stress my parents out anymore than they already are.

Is there anyway to minimize the damage? If i take a defensive driving course, whats gonna happen? Is insurace still gonna go up? I was planning on going to the DA and trying to get him to sympathize with me saying stuff like "its my first offence, i was on my way back from my grandfathers post-funeral, Im really a safe driver, i deliver pizza blah blah"

I also heard something about a deffered judgment or something?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 11:18 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times
Speeding? No such thing. You where standing still. I know it.
Actually I just drove about 4 states and proud to be back in NJ because here people drive like WE MEAN IT. I mean people go 80 mph on I-80 and NJ 24 and so on. Had to make room for some others who just couldn't wait and wanted to fly by.

Anyway I think it is 2 points and you can knock those down by taking one of those online safe driving courses. Otherwise you might be in a court with another 100 people with the same ticket. The prostitutor will not care too much about your excuses, we all have those. They will offer you a "zero pointer" which costs around $485 or so, I don't like those too much. Lots of info on similar threads around here.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:36 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
I just went on nj mvc and researched the point system. Within the 15-29 mph over the speed limit range, it's a 4 point infraction. Knowing this, I'm kind of puzzled why the cop put it down as 69 mph instead of 70. Strictly speaking in terms of points, going 19 over is viewed the same as going 20 over. Once it's 30 or more though, the points increase to 5. Under 15 is a 2 point infraction.

I'm not sure about the insurance rates going up though. This usually varies with each company once they review your driving record at a certain time. It would be beneficial to take an online driving course to knock down the points but I'm still unsure about the insurance rates. Try searching this forum as the other poster suggested. There are a lot of options involved so it's best to research them all so you don't feel overwhelmed.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:51 AM

5 posts, read 14,991 times
The ticket would of been 200 if it's 20or more, it ended up being 105, besides, he said something about writing another summons if he put 70 down..

Last edited by msheikh1; 07-13-2012 at 01:17 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 05:11 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I wouldn't try the lame excuses, especially the funeral one, which might just pisss off the judge. They have heard this same crap a thousand times. Better to be upfront and say you just didn't realize how fast you were going (if you have to go to court at all).

Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
My best advice is to QUITE SPEEDING, pay the fine and move on. As far as it being "completely safe" because you were the only one on the road. Just because no one was around you does not mean you were being a "safe" driver, it just means no one but you happened to be in the area at the time. If you had lost control the impact going the speed you were would have caused more damage to you and your vehicle than if you had been doing the speed limit. Safe driving isn't going really fast when on the road alone, safe driving is being observant while driving, being cautious and driving at a lower speed.

Last edited by CSD610; 07-13-2012 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: Wanted to add something.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
I just went on nj mvc and researched the point system. Within the 15-29 mph over the speed limit range, it's a 4 point infraction. Knowing this, I'm kind of puzzled why the cop put it down as 69 mph instead of 70. Strictly speaking in terms of points, going 19 over is viewed the same as going 20 over. Once it's 30 or more though, the points increase to 5. Under 15 is a 2 point infraction.

I'm not sure about the insurance rates going up though. This usually varies with each company once they review your driving record at a certain time. It would be beneficial to take an online driving course to knock down the points but I'm still unsure about the insurance rates. Try searching this forum as the other poster suggested. There are a lot of options involved so it's best to research them all so you don't feel overwhelmed.
The "POLICE OFFICER" may have wrote the ticket for 14 mph over instead of the actual 20 because many judges will not allow a defendant to plea bargain down 2 levels.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:11 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,043,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh1 View Post
hey guys, i need some advice.

I just got pulled over for the first time, ive been driving for 2+ years.
I was going 70 in a 50 (i know, but it was completely safe i was the only one on the road)
the cop wrote me a ticket for 69 in a 50 so the ticket wasnt in the 20+ mph bracket which apparently is much worse.

I know im gonna end up with points and a fine, but my biggest concern is the insurance going up, cause I dont wanna stress my parents out anymore than they already are.

Is there anyway to minimize the damage? If i take a defensive driving course, whats gonna happen? Is insurace still gonna go up? I was planning on going to the DA and trying to get him to sympathize with me saying stuff like "its my first offence, i was on my way back from my grandfathers post-funeral, Im really a safe driver, i deliver pizza blah blah"

I also heard something about a deffered judgment or something?

ANY AND ALL ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Your insurance will go up if you are convicted of speeding. That is a certainty. The defensive driving course will help with the long term health of your license, but will only partially eliminate the increase in your parents insurance rates. The only way to avoid that entirely is to plea to a non-moving violation (highly unlikely), or to plead not guilty and win your case (also unlikely). Fighting the ticket is your only chance, but the odds are against you, both because the evidence is probably radar or lidar, and because you are a young driver who a judge is very likely going to want to teach a lesson. A good lesson, by the way. A 50mph limit indicates you were on a road with some amount of access points (driveways, retail stores, or simply curves or visibility limitations. You may think it was safe to do 70 in a 50. But it probably wasn't, and if you think about it, you will probably admit that. Even if you think it was safe, it does not matter, because the state doesn't, and the consequences of getting caught driving 20 over the state's judgement are usually unpleasant.

At this point, you should take your lumps and be philosophical about the whole thing. Also plan on figuring out a way to make some extra money to pay the increase on your parents insurance. Final plan: I would probably attempt to get the best deal I could from the prosecutor. Offer him community service and try to show as much guilt and equanimity as possible. Dress well. Look good. Look serious. Act serious. Minimize the point damage to your license. Then, take the defensive driver course to further reduce the damage. Believe it or not, you will enjoy the course. It is interesting and you will learn a few things.

There is an art and methodology to speeding safely and not getting caught. But I don't teach the techniques to anyone under 30. In the wrong hands, they are dangerous.

In the mean time, slow down and enjoy the scenery. I mean it. Keep this in mind: you are now on the radar. New Jersey is merciless, and I do mean merciless, to drivers who accumulate points. There is no provision for conditional licensing, as in some other states. They don't give a rat's u-no-wat whether you can get to work or school. It is extraordinarily easy to get on the revoked list, and have your entire freedom as a human being jeopardized for a long period of time. I once had a friend who I had to drive to work every day and to the SLAP program every weekend morning for 6 months! What did he do? DWI? Run over a nun? Nope. Just multiple speeding infractions. It is critical that you drive in a very mellow and observant fashion until these points are gone. If you get another offense with points, you will be on the precipice of disaster.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 07-13-2012 at 06:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM

206 posts, read 570,880 times
Or, you could move to the western part of this country. I have returned to NY after decades of living in western states. Believe me, it is tough getting used to 50-60 instead of 70-80!

When I was your age it took me awhile to get the message too. I got a ticket coming and going on a trip one weekend. Lost my license. Not good.

I'm a million mile driver, and I learned to buckle up and be a defensive driver or I might not be here.

Mr Paolella has given you the definitive advice. Follow it to the letter.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:48 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Your insurance will go up if you are convicted of speeding. That is a certainty. The defensive driving course will help with the long term health of your license, but will only partially eliminate the increase in your parents insurance rates. The only way to avoid that entirely is to plea to a non-moving violation (highly unlikely), or to plead not guilty and win your case (also unlikely). Fighting the ticket is your only chance, but the odds are against you, both because the evidence is probably radar or lidar, and because you are a young driver who a judge is very likely going to want to teach a lesson. A good lesson, by the way. A 50mph limit indicates you were on a road with some amount of access points (driveways, retail stores, or simply curves or visibility limitations. You may think it was safe to do 70 in a 50. But it probably wasn't, and if you think about it, you will probably admit that. Even if you think it was safe, it does not matter, because the state doesn't, and the consequences of getting caught driving 20 over the state's judgement are usually unpleasant.

At this point, you should take your lumps and be philosophical about the whole thing. Also plan on figuring out a way to make some extra money to pay the increase on your parents insurance. Final plan: I would probably attempt to get the best deal I could from the prosecutor. Offer him community service and try to show as much guilt and equanimity as possible. Dress well. Look good. Look serious. Act serious. Minimize the point damage to your license. Then, take the defensive driver course to further reduce the damage. Believe it or not, you will enjoy the course. It is interesting and you will learn a few things.

There is an art and methodology to speeding safely and not getting caught. But I don't teach the techniques to anyone under 30. In the wrong hands, they are dangerous.

In the mean time, slow down and enjoy the scenery. I mean it. Keep this in mind: you are now on the radar. New Jersey is merciless, and I do mean merciless, to drivers who accumulate points. There is no provision for conditional licensing, as in some other states. They don't give a rat's u-no-wat whether you can get to work or school. It is extraordinarily easy to get on the revoked list, and have your entire freedom as a human being jeopardized for a long period of time. I once had a friend who I had to drive to work every day and to the SLAP program every weekend morning for 6 months! What did he do? DWI? Run over a nun? Nope. Just multiple speeding infractions. It is critical that you drive in a very mellow and observant fashion until these points are gone. If you get another offense with points, you will be on the precipice of disaster.

Marc has given the OP excellent advice, and I sincerely hope that the OP learns some valuable lessons from both the experience and the advice.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey