Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 01:27 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,368,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wouldn't try the lame excuses, especially the funeral one, which might just pisss off the judge. They have heard this same crap a thousand times. Better to be upfront and say you just didn't realize how fast you were going (if you have to go to court at all).
This is not the first thread I have seen where someone is trying to weasel out of a responsibility based on their own actions. *sigh*

and for what it's worth-always seems to be a boy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 14,994 times
lol trust me, im done speeding...

so is this what i should do?

push back the date as far back as possible, then go in look nice, act serious and try saying that i was going 63 so i get into the 1-14 mph over bracket.. that hopefully succeeding and offering community service and taking the defensive driving course will put me in the clear? Of course Ill have to pay the fines but isurance and points wise ill be fine right?

Old 07-13-2012, 06:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,685,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh1 View Post

push back the date as far back as possible, then go in look nice, act serious and try saying that i was going 63 so i get into the 1-14 mph over bracket.. that hopefully succeeding and offering community service and taking the defensive driving course will put me in the clear? Of course Ill have to pay the fines but isurance and points wise ill be fine right?
If it's a first offense and you're willing to pay a hefty fine you can almost always get the ticket reduced to no points but it'll cost you.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,163,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
If it's a first offense and you're willing to pay a hefty fine you can almost always get the ticket reduced to no points but it'll cost you.

This is absolutely true. I was pulled over for speeding in Fort Lee, first time- I was doing 65 in a 25, he lowered the speed on the ticket, and told me to plead not-guilty. When I went to court the Judge had already pulled a copy of my drivers abstract, and said, "This is your first ticket"? And, dropped all points, and doubled the fine ... it was worth it.

Old 07-13-2012, 06:06 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,670,037 times
Quote:
try saying that i was going 63
Nothing like looking foolish in court. You have no idea is the radar unit might be interfaced to a DVR. No better way to **** off the judge than to try and treat him like an idiot. As far as "pushing it back", court rules specify how many postponements are permitted.

You could manage to turn a simple no brainier into a case that screws you royally. Remember, the judge has the ability to amend charges at their discretion. Any consideration given on the scene could be wiped out in an instant.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 PM

5 posts, read 14,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
This is absolutely true. I was pulled over for speeding in Fort Lee, first time- I was doing 65 in a 25, he lowered the speed on the ticket, and told me to plead not-guilty. When I went to court the Judge had already pulled a copy of my drivers abstract, and said, "This is your first ticket"? And, dropped all points, and doubled the fine ... it was worth it.

really? so instead of 105 fine, 4 points, and insurance going up, i can get away with paying around 210 instead?? how do I do this?

Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,611,838 times
In NJ they will almost 100% of the time (always) let you turn most any ticket into "unsafe driving", what they call a "zero pointer". It costs about $485 and you can only do this twice in 5 years. Insurance might still see a zero point "unsafe driving" on your record, you will usually not be hassled too much from them.

Personally I think the whole thing stinks, other states givew you better options, but that is what it is. the other thing you can do is drop the speed down to the 2 point category. You usually don't speak to any judge about this. You get in line with others pleading not guilty and have a one to one chat with the prostitutor. He makes the deal then you go back in the court room and the judgerooni makes it official.,

Cheaper moneywise to do the 2 pointer but its up to you.

This is all done without going to trial and they don't bother having the cop show up unless you ask for a trial, which seems rare these days.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:34 AM

303 posts, read 920,866 times

Cop did u a favor buddy boy grow up about it. Cop taught u more in one stop than your pro-union lib teachers taught u in 15yrs. Either learn to respect the law or next time it will be worse. Dont worry on the fine, worry on making sure you learned the lesson. Cop may have just saved you're life and your crying like a little baby about points.

Old 07-14-2012, 10:26 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheikh1 View Post

Why would you even try that? You really think the judge is going to believe YOU over what the cop said???? Geez, put yourself in the judge's place for a moment, can't you do that? You're looking at some kid standing there like a doofus trying to persuade him that the cop stuck extra mileage on your speed. The judge is just going to see you as someone who apparently thinks that he's a moron. That isn't going to help you any.

JUST BE HONEST. Damn!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:28 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Nothing like looking foolish in court. You have no idea is the radar unit might be interfaced to a DVR. No better way to **** off the judge than to try and treat him like an idiot. As far as "pushing it back", court rules specify how many postponements are permitted.

You could manage to turn a simple no brainier into a case that screws you royally. Remember, the judge has the ability to amend charges at their discretion. Any consideration given on the scene could be wiped out in an instant.
LOL, I should have read this before I posted almost the exact same thought.

But, OP, LISTEN. And please, please, THINK.

The fact that two of us are saying this to you should tell you something.

Here's a life lesson for you. Stupidity is very often a choice. Why not choose to be smart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey