Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 06:42 PM

39 posts, read 46,563 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am a native Middle Tennesseean(grew up in Old Hickory but moved to Smith County during my adolescence) living in St. Louis -- for the time being. I figured this would be the best place to put this question as I did not really see the need to starting a new thread.

On Sunday, in preparation for the CMAs I presume, there was a documentary entitled "For the Love of Music: The Story of Nashville." Now I am sure it is much like the show in that it is very country-heavy, but I love to see my home city publicized as it currently is. I do not have cable(still having a quarrel with Charter in which I will not budge) so I was not able to watch it. I searched today to see if I could find it but alas, I failed. Does anyone know where I can find it? I'd really like to watch this documentary.

Oh, and lastly, I will call Nashville home one day again. Hopefully after law school is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:57 AM

455 posts, read 654,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It was not presented as a soap opera at the beginning of season one, but slowly tipped in that direction as the season progressed. This year, it's clearly soapy, and that's a shame.

There is a middle ground between documentary and soaps. "Nashville" is supposedly based on a very real country music community
I don't know about that; after watching the first few episodes last season, I said to my wife, "This is the new 'Dallas'...". As a native of Nashville, it's still a gulity pleasure to watch it every week and spot all of my old stomping grounds around town. You've got to remember, this is ABC, i.e. "drama central" - Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Revenge, etc. "Nashville" fits right into that mold, and that's been true from the beginning. I don't know what today's crop of country music stars are like but if they were to make a show based on the true stories of sex and drugs in the "real country music community" back in the 70's & 80's, you wouldn't be able to show it on TV, lol...

Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
Chester, you can find For the Love of Music: The Story of Nashville streaming here on ABC.com.

FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC: THE STORY OF NASHVILLE - Watch Full TV Episodes Online - WATCHABC.com

Old 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Chester, you can find For the Love of Music: The Story of Nashville streaming here on ABC.com.

FOR THE LOVE OF MUSIC: THE STORY OF NASHVILLE - Watch Full TV Episodes Online - WATCHABC.com
Thank you very much!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post

Man, that was a great, great documentary. Some of the people on there, I had no idea lived in my home town.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM

I watched the documentary . . very nice! Of course it's produced by the Tourist Bureau so not sure it's actually, technically, a "documentary". Fun to watch though!

Just ran across an article that suggests that the character Juliette Barnes is an unlikely feminist role model. . . . hmm? What do you think???

TV’s unlikely feminist role model: Juliette Barnes - Salon.com

Old 11-07-2013, 11:50 PM

201 posts, read 320,678 times
I tend to refer to the show as a Soap Opry. Kinda of a mix between traditional evening/prime time dramas with a little music dashed in.

I do wish they'd bring in a little stronger music industry presence again because there are some growing holes in the plot that miss the mark. For instance no struggling bar hop/songwriter in Nashville would block a major label artist from recording their song.

On a light hearted note how are these guys making any money? I don't see a tip jug or a swaying singer calling for a "Holler and a Swaller" in any of the club scenes. If nothing else it has brought some new waitresses...er I mean singers to town (we were told all the jokes prior to our moving to town too...come on most are funny so smile).

Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM

Well, Gunnar HAD a semi-contract thing with Scarlett. I mean, he DOES sing. Some songwriters don't. And some songwriters feel strongly enough about their songs that THEY want to be the ones to sing them - Kris Kristofferson, Paul Williams, Barry Manilow, Bob Dylan . . . none of them have stellar voices but they put real 'heart' into singing their own songs. So I guess if you are referring to Gunnar not letting Will sing his song . . . I'm gonna side with (and root for) Gunnar.

"NASHVILLE" mayor to join Christmas Festivities!

Eric Close, who plays mayor Teddy Conrad on "Nashville" is going to be the Grand Marshall of the 61st annual Piedmont Natural Gas Nashville Christmas Parade on December 6th. REAL Mayor Dean will be there as well. Live imitating art imitating life! Again!

Old 12-01-2013, 08:16 PM

NEW "Nashville" for the next two weeks! (Dec. 4th & 11th). Apparently someone "leaves" the show on the winter finale (the 11th) . . . . The show will return earlier than expected, in January. I don't know if that is a good sign or not???

If you're a fan and want to help out the show, please vote for "Nashville" to win on the People's Choice Awards - voting ends this Thursday, Dec. 5th.

VOTE FOR NASHVILLE!!!! (and Deacon . . )

Cast your votes now for People's Choice Awards 2014 - PeoplesChoice.com

It's the 4th category down on the TV list. When you click the category, scroll back to the top where you'll see photos of the nominated shows.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:05 PM

362 posts, read 646,955 times
I voted. Love this show
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville