Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times

Advertisements

Two articles in today's Tennessean about the show - Local News - apparently they shot some scenes at 3rd and Lindsley and the Capitol Grille! I am waiting until tonight to watch it. I want them to film at a Farmers Market, maybe out in Leipers Fork - the Country Boy restaurant? The bridge over the Natchez Trace from a helicopter (maybe someone is on a motorcycle or in a convertible).

Did you read about these two sisters being re-cast as Connie Britton's daughters after being seen on YouTube? Cool story!

'Call Your Girlfriend' Robyn/ Erato cover by Lennon & Maisy Stella - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,906,732 times
Nashville premeirs tonight and so far the reviews are largely positive:
Critic Reviews for Nashville (2012) Season 1 - Metacritic

I'm not going to be able to watch it this evening, but I'll tape it and hopefully check it out in the next few days. It sounds like it might be a little more "soap-y" than the shows I usually watch, but that it is well done with some decent music in it (but not an all music show like some of the ones that are popular these days).

Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,488,115 times
Meh...it was okay. The story is not my thing, but it was cool to see the city shine so brightly. One line made me chuckle...the "Faith Hill" character asking her guitarist to join her for a beer at Tootsie's. As if it's the only beer joint in town or something. But hey...baby steps, right?

I might watch it again, just for the scenery, but the storyline seems pretty soap-y to me. Glad it's getting good reviews and hope it is good for the city.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:57 AM

940 posts, read 1,906,140 times
Anyone here want to educate me? What does it take to make a 45+ minute dramatization not "soapy"? Maybe someone could write a screenplay for that 45 minute slot, sell it as anti-soap, make a killing and convince me that there is a universal quality called "soap" which goes beyond housewives doing laundry on a weekday.

Maybe I'm wrong but when there is such a short time to develop as many subplots as there were in this excellent pilot you might want to take the attitude that the time constraint puts some shackles on the drama. I read some of the reviews from around the country, and most of these reviewers avoided the use of the term "soap", to their credit, since in the typical usage it remains undefined from what I can tell.

BTW I wish Altman could have seen this, I thought what he did in his cinematic efforts with the dame setting was pretty pathetic, and what these folks are doing much superior. You guys I would think would be happy at the potential huge exposure and boost to the tourism sure to come.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM

228 posts, read 529,306 times
Little over the top, but very cool to see our local spots at their best. Never realized how close the Shelby Street Bridge was to Music Row ;-)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 AM

914 posts, read 1,988,768 times
I think you'll see a big improvement in terms of quality of filming, intro, acting, etc as the season goes on. Pilots are always lower quality than the rest of the first season. In general, I liked the show. It will definitely put Nashville in the spotlight and garner national attention.

There will always be liberties taken with geography. Only people familiar with the city will notice it, however. I remember on ER the doctors would leave the hospital on a break and walk down by the Chicago river.....even though it would be about and hour walk each way from where the hospital was.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,488,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
Anyone here want to educate me? What does it take to make a 45+ minute dramatization not "soapy"? Maybe someone could write a screenplay for that 45 minute slot, sell it as anti-soap, make a killing and convince me that there is a universal quality called "soap" which goes beyond housewives doing laundry on a weekday.

Maybe I'm wrong but when there is such a short time to develop as many subplots as there were in this excellent pilot you might want to take the attitude that the time constraint puts some shackles on the drama. I read some of the reviews from around the country, and most of these reviewers avoided the use of the term "soap", to their credit, since in the typical usage it remains undefined from what I can tell.

BTW I wish Altman could have seen this, I thought what he did in his cinematic efforts with the dame setting was pretty pathetic, and what these folks are doing much superior. You guys I would think would be happy at the potential huge exposure and boost to the tourism sure to come.
Sorry I touched a nerve...wow.

Let me put it this way: I don't typically watch dramas in the same vein as Grey's Anatomy. That's what this felt like to me. Or Dallas. Obviously plenty of people do, and that's just fine. But it's not my cup of RC Cola. That's all I'm saying. Good for Nashville, I wish the show well and hope they continue to show the city in a positive light, but its not my thing.

I also really enjoyed that the Powers Boothe character was standing at the thermal plant site talking about a minor league stadium. Kudos to the writers for that.

And I guess the State Capitol is serving as the city's administrative hub instead of the Courthouse? It is probably prettier on TV than the Courthouse is. I'm surprised they didn't show the bathroom inside the Hermitage Hotel, given its fame and attractiveness.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 AM

228 posts, read 529,306 times
That bathroom has to be coming soon, right? And Puckett's in Leiper's Fork, and...

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,362,249 times
I watched it. It was mildly entertaining. I realize it's a drama and primarily geared towards women, so I didn't hold it to as much scrutiny as I would in a genre that I regularly watch. And with it being about Nashville, I was expecting a few liberties to be taken as far as what it's actually like here (I mean, if it were almost documentary style, it might not be considered "exciting enough" for TV). I was happy that they didn't go overboard with the accents.

The writing and acting were pretty good. This was the pilot, of course, so it covered a whole lot more ground than what you expect in a regular episode. So perhaps if they slow it down just slightly (only one or two subplots at a time, please) it will make it more watchable.

I chuckled a few times at some of the name dropping going on. They should tone that down. It seemed a little forced.

It was cool that I could recognize pretty much every outdoor shot they had by its location. I remember thinking "THAT'S PAGE ROAD!!" midway through the show.

For what it is -- a drama about two women in the music industry -- it's not bad. I would shy away from using "authentic," but it didn't seem overly hokey or cliched to me. Judging by this one episode, I think this will put the city in a very positive light...and while I don't think it is going to break many of the musical stereotypes associated with this town, it is portrayed as a bit more grown up and cosmopolitan...so perhaps it will help with the Hee Haw stereotypes.

I doubt I will watch every episode (it's on at the same time as South Park...I mean, c'mon)...but it seemed entertaining enough. To me it's like an hour long ad for Music City once a week. I hope it succeeds.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,105,491 times
With some new TV shows getting dropped after just one or two episodes, I think they were wise to pack SO many plot lines into the Pilot. I think you almost HAVE to these days? Am sure it will slow down and even out the energy in the next few episodes.

Had a hard time keeping the good looking dark haired men straight . . I mean, who they were. Maybe one of them should get highlights or something????

Read that people were comparing the Juliette Barnes character to Taylor Swift but I don't see that at all - more Kellie Pickler? A bit of sass and sexuality that I don't think TS has, at least not yet?

Music was pretty good - I think it's available on iTunes - maybe they will do a soundtrack album.

A friend of mine who lives downtown said the record label lobby is the lobby for The Encore condo complex downtown. And the recording studio I believe belongs to Ben Folds.

Fun, fun, fun . . . . and I thought Nashville looked great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville