Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2015, 08:40 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,316,140 times

Advertisements

Blackhat
TERRIBLE. I have very pedestrian tastes in movies and can like just about anything to some degree, but this movie was just awful. The plot has been done before by others, and done better, but then to make matters worse, they muddled the main storyline with a couple arcs/elements that were completely unnecessary and contributed nothing to the story or the characterization. The bad guy's motivation was boring and unimaginative, and the ending undermined whatever (meager) rooting I was doing for the hero.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Nightcrawler. Jake Gyllenhaal was the best thing about the film & to me, that what shockingly obvious. Rene Russo is still not my favorite actress & the lad who played Jake's side kick left me wishing I could have cast the film instead. He tried so hard to be quirky, that he came across as spastic & annoying... & he lacks any sort of charisma, especially when on camera next to Jake. Russo is bereft of sex appeal & that was distracting, when her role called for it. With 2 different supporting actors (almost any other actors), it could have been brilliant. If Bill Paxton's role were stretched out, it would have been great as he & Jake play off each other quite nicely, but that was a mistake to give him a short role.

The cinematography was dull, uninteresting & completely flat. Still, the story was different & interesting, despite some 'oh come on' moments & I felt it was drawn out too much in the middle, so that the last 1/2-hr needed to tie up loose ends far too quickly.

I'd say 6.5 out of 10*, but mainly due to the 2 very, very blah supporting leads.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Went to American Sniper this afternoon

Bradley Cooper was better than expected as Chris Kyle--
don't know if Kyle himself really felt that way--haven't read the book--and he had two co-writers to help shape his story--but Cooper is very good in certain scenes at showing the pain Kyle suffered and Eastwood is excellent at showing the war

hard to believe his wife would have stayed with him as long as she did if SHE didn't have more belief in why he was doing what he was doing than Sienna Miller's part calls for...

Old 01-17-2015, 09:47 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I'll say it anyway. Saw Gone Girl 2 weeks ago & almost forgot to post it, because it was that uninteresting to me. I resisted seeing it, mainly as Ben Affleck is one of my least favorite actors (I find him flat & boring & his face is so long it distracts me), but I love David Fincher in the director's chair. I've never seen Rosamond Pike before & although she seems a capable actress, I just didn't like her role, I think because she comes across as over-acting next to wooden Ben.

It's only the 2nd movie I couldn't sit still for & I kept leaving the theatre to walk about the lobby for 10-min at a time, throughout the entire film. So, I can't really say I liked this part of that or the ending... I missed a lot of it. The plot was completely predictable & I now have an increased burning dislike of actor-in-a-shell, Ben the boring.

The dicey scene, made so much of in the press as shocking & overt, actually made me laugh out loud for being stunningly stupid. I hated this flick so much, I don't know the ending & O M G, I don't bloody well care to find out.

Fincher... WHAT happened?

1 out of 10* & that's only because my popcorn was great!

Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
Philomena... Great movie, amazing what the church got away with....sad too, but not surprising.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:31 PM

Kill the Messenger. Jeremy Renner has been wonderful in the few movies I've seen him in. His intensity & just below-the-surface rage is usually what stands out. In this role, he's still intense (I think that comes with his birth cert), but he adds a very believable layer of emotions, vulnerability & semi-hidden melancholy. He even changes his walk to portray Webb, which I like... it's subtle.

I'm well versed on the story of journalist, Gary Webb, whom he portrays. Over the decades, I've read court transcripts, books & articles, heard interviews & seen documentaries about him, his story & his demise. So, I know they can't fit everything of interest or note into slightly over 1-1/2 hours... yet they try. That's the only mistake in this well acted, exciting film. If they'd just focused on a portion of his career/life, rather than trying to slam all of it into 1 box, it would have been far more impacting & emotional. It's one of those films I wished were 3-hrs in length, at very least.

Still, if one is not familiar with his tale, it's a fair summary of the highlights. For those of us who know the whole story, we must step back & cut it some slack. Aside from a trilogy or mini-series, there's no way to fit into 1 story all that was Gary Webb. In life, he was a decent family man of morals, surrounded by the indecent. The plot is good, as it's based on his own book & the acting is great. Maybe it will entice some to look up his story & read a bit about his plight & descent into hell, by those in power who will bring down anyone daring to speak the truth. His mistake was daring to think he could actually go toe-to-toe with the CIA. See the film or explore a bit about him. It will surprise you, but not in a good way.

8 out of 10*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW4XO-52ubE

Old 01-17-2015, 11:42 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
saw Gone Girl and hated the ending--expected the audience to be as stupid as the script
totally over the top
Rosamund Pike's eyes never seem to change no matter what emotion she is feeling
which makes her a great shark but don't know about an actress

Old 01-18-2015, 12:16 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I know I'm in the minority, but I'll say it anyway.

1 out of 10* & that's only because my popcorn was great!
I saw it when I was in London ... it wasn't great but I'd give it 5/10 stars.
I'm reading the book now.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Philomena... Great movie, amazing what the church got away with....sad too, but not surprising.
I liked this movie alot. 8/10 stars for me.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:12 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
The Imitation Game---exceptional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.