Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 12:38 PM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. So Johnny may not have cared about what the doctor meant and just answered the question. But later, when Johnny asks Baby to defend him for her Dad, why didn't Johnny want to clear up the confusion, if later he cares about what the Dad thinks of her daughter's new man?
Again, it's not his place to do that. If Penny wants it out there who did it, she has to be the one to do this. Johnny would be a jerk if he just decided on his own to tell her secret. This is an embarrassing secret, that she was impregnated and cruelly dumped by someone who just used her for sex. If you know Johnnie's character you can see that integrity and loyalty are important values to him. He is fiercely loyal to Penny and would never betray her trust for his own wants.

You can't just apply common sense to situations that have to do with human complexity. You're thinking what you would do, but not about who Johnny is and what he is about and what motivates him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 08:24 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times
That, and around and around we go. He wasn't wanting or thinking he even needed Baby to defend his honor. He didn't know until near the end the Dr. even thought that. Baby was lecturing him about standing up to Kellerman, to the world, and he said yeah? And what about you. I don't see YOU standing up to your father. Telling him I am your guy.

'With...with my father, it's complicated'. stutter. He's like yeah. Not so brave, eh?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:32 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, it's not his place to do that. If Penny wants it out there who did it, she has to be the one to do this. Johnny would be a jerk if he just decided on his own to tell her secret. This is an embarrassing secret, that she was impregnated and cruelly dumped by someone who just used her for sex. If you know Johnnie's character you can see that integrity and loyalty are important values to him. He is fiercely loyal to Penny and would never betray her trust for his own wants.

You can't just apply common sense to situations that have to do with human complexity. You're thinking what you would do, but not about who Johnny is and what he is about and what motivates him.
Oh well Johnny doesn't have to say it was Robbie who did it, he just has to say it wasn't him and that there was confusion. So he would just be excluding himself, and not mentioning Robbie at all. Wouldn't that logically still protect Peggy's secret? Johnny promised Peggy that he wouldn't tell that it was Robbie, right? That promise doesn't entail that he has to make the Dad continue to believe that he was the father, does it?

Old 09-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That, and around and around we go. He wasn't wanting or thinking he even needed Baby to defend his honor. He didn't know until near the end the Dr. even thought that. Baby was lecturing him about standing up to Kellerman, to the world, and he said yeah? And what about you. I don't see YOU standing up to your father. Telling him I am your guy.

'With...with my father, it's complicated'. stutter. He's like yeah. Not so brave, eh?
Having nothing to do with Penny! Because he has no education, no future, he is low class, and to her father, totally unsuitable. Period.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:14 PM

Okay but if he didn't want Baby to defend his honor then what about the scene, where he chews her out for not telling her father about them? Why does he chew her out for that, if he doesn't care?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Okay but if he didn't want Baby to defend his honor then what about the scene, where he chews her out for not telling her father about them? Why does he chew her out for that, if he doesn't care?
I literally just explained that again.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:31 PM

Oh okay, I read it again and see what it said. I will watch the movie again.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are there any movies that you do understand? For someone who considers himself a filmmaker, I question your storytelling ability due to a lack of understanding the motivations of characters and why certain concepts appeal to an audience.
Exactly.

Old 12-02-2018, 04:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Quote:
Oh okay, I read it again and see what it said. I will watch the movie again.
And remember what the competition was for it's time... Part of why it was popular, nothing else like it was around

Old 12-02-2018, 04:52 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Why on earth would a physician be asking who got her pregnant? What could that possibly have to do with her care? It's completely irrelevant. On the other hand, the physician WOULD be interested in who is responsible for her care and might possibly have knowledge of the onset and progression of her symptoms.
...can't rep you again!

OP - you are apparently lacking the life experience to properly understand the context of this. Who woulda thought that Dirty Dancing would be so tough to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies