Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2018, 06:01 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,579,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
It's such a classic in people's eyes, especially my friends. Three of my friends say it's one of their top favorite movies, of all time, if not their most favorite movie ever. But why exactly?
How can we answer why your friends love it? Ask them. Argue with them against their reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 08:11 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
But he said he was wrong, and still makes a huge difference that Johnny and Baby felt wouldn't happen though, so I feel that Johnny and Baby were totally wrong not to bring up to Jake sooner as a result.
He was protecting the girls privacy as well, she didn’t want who it was to get around. I really think you’re overthinking a movie that was popular because it was a cool time period, Patrick Swayze was the sexiest man alive, a fantastic soundtrack, dancing, just enough drama and romance.

Most people don’t fall in love with movie plots, they fall in love with how a movie makes them feel.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:44 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,074,874 times
Oh okay, I guess out of fear, Johnny might be thinking he is responsible for Penny, but I thought it would have at least computed to him later, what Jake really meant.

I liked Pretty Woman a lot better in comparison I think.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Oh okay, I guess out of fear, Johnny might be thinking he is responsible for Penny, but I thought it would have at least computed to him later, what Jake really meant.

I liked Pretty Woman a lot better in comparison I think.
Not out of fear, Johnny isn’t afraid in the movie. Out of love and loyalty to his friend. She is like him, they don’t have a family like Baby does, they are on their own in the world, so they looked out for each other and became each other’s family. He knew what Jake meant, but his first loyalty was to his friend (the girl, he disliked the waiter who impregnated her and couldn’t have cared less about him).

Old 09-04-2018, 09:56 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
I went to see the movie with my college roommate when it came to theaters, and neither one of us liked it much. We actually talked about leaving but decided to stick it out. Much to my surprise it became a huge hit that year. I thought it was nostalgia for a period drama more than anything else.

I did watch it again a few years ago and I liked it better that time. I’m pretty sure that had more to do with nostalgia of the time period in which I first watched it, or maybe I just got older.

Old 09-04-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He was protecting the girls privacy as well, she didn’t want who it was to get around. I really think you’re overthinking a movie that was popular because it was a cool time period, Patrick Swayze was the sexiest man alive, a fantastic soundtrack, dancing, just enough drama and romance.

Most people don’t fall in love with movie plots, they fall in love with how a movie makes them feel.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Johnny and Baby had to tell Jake it was Robbie, I just thought Johnny wouldn't have to say it was him who did it. He doesn't have to implicate Robbie, when clearing himself. I just thought he should try to clear himself.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Johnny and Baby had to tell Jake it was Robbie, I just thought Johnny wouldn't have to say it was him who did it. He doesn't have to implicate Robbie, when clearing himself. I just thought he should try to clear himself.
He didn’t say it was him. He simply answer “I am” when the doctor asked who is responsible for this girl. He did not mean I got her pregnant he meant I am responsible for her as in she is my family. The doctor assumed that meant he got her pregnant but Johnny never said it. At the time the last thing he was worried about was what the doctor thought of him he was worried about his friend. Remember he and baby are not even involved with each other yet at this point.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:58 PM

But I felt that the doctor's question was too obvious to be mistaken for anything else in that situation. He was standing over a girl who just had an abortion gone wrong, he was trying to fix. So what he meant was so obvious that I just didn't believe that Johnny would mistaken it.

I know him and Baby are not involved at this point, but you think it would have hit him like a shovel later on but it never did oddly.

But I will watch it again.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
But I felt that the doctor's question was too obvious to be mistaken for anything else in that situation. He was standing over a girl who just had an abortion gone wrong, he was trying to fix. So what he meant was so obvious that I just didn't believe that Johnny would mistaken it.

I know him and Baby are not involved at this point, but you think it would have hit him like a shovel later on but it never did oddly.

But I will watch it again.
He didn’t mistake it. He just chose to answer in the way he did and end the questioning. His concern in that moment was for his friend not for him. I feel like you’re looking at the words too literally. You have to listen to the words in the context of who the character is and what motivates him in his answers. At that moment he did not care what the doctor thought of him. And he wasn’t going to betray his friends trust, by telling Jake something that wasn’t his to share. It was also embarrassing for her that she was used and then discarded by the waiter, and he would not have done anything that might have made the incident more painful than it already was for her.

You’re also not looking at Patrick Swayze‘s character in the context of his history of working with wealthy people. He already knows that the wealthy people there think that the workers are second-class citizens and not good enough for any of their kids. Most of them feel that way in the movie and that “us against them” mentality is one of the foundations of the movie that comes up again and again. They’ve been judged by people like them their entire lives. They don’t trust them, including Jake at this point. He has a resentment towards these people and he does not care what the doctor thinks. He does not care with the doctor means when he uses the word responsible, he only cares about what he means it to be, that she is my family.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-06-2018 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 10:01 PM

Okay thanks, but if Swayze just wanted to end the conversation and not care, then why didn't he just shrug, like he didn't know who was responsible for getting her pregnant? That way, the doctor doesn't know who, and he just thinks it's some guy, and he just leaves it at that.

So why didn't Johnny just shrug like he doesn't know and not answer at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies