Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 05:49 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,252,432 times

Advertisements

I like it for shallow reasons. I just like the setting, the time period, the clothes, etc. I loved A Walk on the Moon, too, for all the same reasons. For some reason I like movies where the family are staying at a resort, Catskills or wherever, for the summer.

Some parts of these movies are of a more serious nature, and are a little depressing/sad, but otherwise I like the lightheartedness of them.
Spoiler
The abortion in one, the infidelity in the other.
And, like has been mentioned, it's always enjoyable to watch people with good chemistry together. Good music, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 07:22 AM

666 posts, read 513,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Just out of curiosity, can I ask how old you are? I ask because I feel as if the movies you keep starting threads about are movies that people who grew up with those movies enjoy more than say folks from a different generation.

I was in elementary school (5th grade) when Dirty Dancing came out. All of my friends and their older siblings loved that movie. I didn’t really like it til I was older (high school). I enjoyed it much more then. I like the music, the actors, the dancing. It’s just a cute movie. I do remember that dance movies and musicals were huge around that time. I remember around the same time (5th grade), my friends also loved the movie White Nights with Mikhail Baryshnikov.
This is definitely not an age/generational issue. I was a teenager when the movie came out and never got into it or saw what the big deal was. I still don't.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 PM

56 posts, read 46,982 times
It's a movie that has many themes with regard to female sexual liberation and choice.

Spoiler
There's simulated sex a.k.a. Dirty Dancing, an abortion, and Baby breaking free from her rich oppressive father to take charge of her own sexual desires to be with the "bad boy."

Regardless of how one feels about these issues, the film touches on them in a way that isn't too offensive, and lets us enjoy Baby's newfound independence while still keeping her an overall "good girl" which is a herione many moviegiers seem to like a lot.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:14 AM

951 posts, read 1,141,150 times
When I watched the movie back then, I always thought how much Johnny (Patrick Swayze) looked like he didn't really like Baby (Jennifer Grey). I saw it in his eyes and body language. Turns out that they really didn't get along. Ha! Guess they weren't that great in acting, or I'm just really good at reading body language.

Dirty Dancing was ok for me. However, I loved Grease...1 and 2

Old 08-25-2018, 10:59 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,073,434 times
Well I was discussing the movie with my friends who love the movie so much, and the biggest reason why the story didn't work well for me is how the Johnny character keeps being dumb, and painting himself into a corner.

SPOILERS

Like when Baby's dad asks all the guys in the group, who is responsible for getting the girl pregnant, and Johnny volunteered that he was, it seems really dumb to me cause he keeps wanting to know why her dad doesn't like him and what he can do to seek his approval, when the answer is, how about tell him you didn't actually get the girl pregnant, how about that? It seems so obvious.

But my friends say I misunderstood and that Johnny is not suppose to a smart character. But how smart do you have to be, to not paint yourself into a corner like that?

That was mainly the flaw of the movie is I kept palming my face at his attempts.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:46 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,886 times
I was late teens when it came out and didn't get it's popularity either. Swayze seemed so out of Baby's league as to be completely unbelievable that he "fell" for her or whatever. I still don't get it, other than to guess it touched on every average girl's fantasy to get the super hot, super cool older guy? and yeah I get that he was poor and Baby came from a rich family, but this "couple" still lacked any semblence of chemistry imo.
I'm curious, any males here that found this movie spectacular?

Last edited by duke944; 08-25-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 02:53 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Are there any movies that you do understand? For someone who considers himself a filmmaker, I question your storytelling ability due to a lack of understanding the motivations of characters and why certain concepts appeal to an audience.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,319,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Well I was discussing the movie with my friends who love the movie so much, and the biggest reason why the story didn't work well for me is how the Johnny character keeps being dumb, and painting himself into a corner.

SPOILERS

Like when Baby's dad asks all the guys in the group, who is responsible for getting the girl pregnant, and Johnny volunteered that he was, it seems really dumb to me cause he keeps wanting to know why her dad doesn't like him and what he can do to seek his approval, when the answer is, how about tell him you didn't actually get the girl pregnant, how about that? It seems so obvious.

But my friends say I misunderstood and that Johnny is not suppose to a smart character. But how smart do you have to be, to not paint yourself into a corner like that?

That was mainly the flaw of the movie is I kept palming my face at his attempts.
Because Johnny showed honor by accepting responsibility for his friend even though the easiest thing in the world would be to say 'not me'; he wouldn't shame her. Simple concept really. It takes a man to keep his mouth shut if you thing that is the right thing and let others blame it on you.

If—
BY RUDYARD KIPLING
(‘Brother Square-Toes’—Rewards and Fairies)
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Old 08-25-2018, 02:58 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,557,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are there any movies that you do understand? For someone who considers himself a filmmaker, I question your storytelling ability due to a lack of understanding the motivations of characters and why certain concepts appeal to an audience.
I appreciate him questioning some popular movies, so far I pretty much agree the ones he has brought up are hugely overrated. Dirty Dancing featured a Patrick Swayze in his dancing, dazzling prime - that's about all this movie is about. That and a totally average looking girl that (unbelievably) managed to capture his romantic interest.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:14 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
I too know people who adore Dirty Dancing, whereas I always felt meh about it. Just different people's taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies