Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2018, 11:39 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,645,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The problem with Thanos though, they can never ever top him with another villain though, so in that regard the future for this franchise is really limited now.
After an apex villain you always go back to the heroes' personal rogues, and there are many fine stories to source right there. Unfortunately, they totally wasted Ego*, who had an interesting encounter with Galactus (another apex villain) during John Byrne's run on Fantastic Four.

*But then, the events of Avengers 4 may offer opportunities to soft-reboot many past occurrences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2018, 03:08 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,127,025 times
Quote:
The problem with Thanos though, they can never ever top him with another villain though, so in that regard the future for this franchise is really limited now.
There is a lot of source material. If you read the comic Infinity Gaunlet, there was so much story, characters, etc in that story. We are only getting 10%. It took a lot of heroes to defeat Thanos in the comic book.

They have:
Galactus
Shi’ar Empire
Scarlet Witch (with her reinventing time a la House of M) - I hope this is what they done in Part 2 when they defeat Thanos. Scarlet Witch goes crazy and warps time and in this timeline; the X-Men, Deadpool, Fantastic Four, Avengers are all together on 1 universe.
War Hulk
They can do X-Men vs Avengers
Apocalypse (all though the Xmen franchise royally screwed that up)

Old 05-05-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
They can do X-Men vs Avengers
You just KNOW AvX is going to happen. Might be 2022 or 2025, but it will happen.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:14 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,919,946 times
Quote:
You are correct, although in comic movies, they greatly dumb down characters powers. For example, Dormammu (sp? in Doctor Strange) is a stone cold beast in the comics (Thanos level). While Doctor Strange didn't "beat him," the fact that he was able to stop him is a huge feat considering how dominant he is in the comics. So they can dumb down characters enough to let anyone beat anyone in the movies. Also, Thor in his comic prime is a stone cold beast, as is classic Doctor Strange. I'm not too familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy comics, but apparently original Drax was a tier one, dominant superhero, and Adam Warlock (who should be in the next GG) is supposedly one of the most dominant superhero in comics. Point is, in the movies, characters powers vary, so Thanos could be beaten in a movie setting.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:07 PM

10,587 posts, read 4,116,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Pre-snap versus post-snap

Spoiler
For sure, everyone disintergrated by the snap will be back. The comics have already given them the out, and the movie foreshadowed it at the very end. They are all in a "soul stone world" inside the soul stone. They will all be retrieved.

More interesting will be whether they bring back any of the people who were killed "manually" before the snap. Loki? Hiemdahl? Vision?

Gamora was killed pre-snap but that was still influenced by the Soul Stone, and we saw her as a teenager in soul stone world, so she'll be back.

I have a number of friends and relatives who are not comics or superhero movie fans who saw Black Panther (the first superhero movie ever for some) and then went to Infinity War because Black Panther was in it.

They are all in WTFH mode and I'm fielding questions.
I feel you man. I too had to tell them that BP will be back. They are just leaving this cliffhanger to make you come back next year and help smash some more records.

Old 05-05-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
You are correct, although in comic movies, they greatly dumb down characters powers. For example, Dormammu (sp? in Doctor Strange) is a stone cold beast in the comics (Thanos level). While Doctor Strange didn't "beat him," the fact that he was able to stop him is a huge feat considering how dominant he is in the comics. So they can dumb down characters enough to let anyone beat anyone in the movies. Also, Thor in his comic prime is a stone cold beast, as is classic Doctor Strange. I'm not too familiar with the Guardians of the Galaxy comics, but apparently original Drax was a tier one, dominant superhero, and Adam Warlock (who should be in the next GG) is supposedly one of the most dominant superhero in comics. Point is, in the movies, characters powers vary, so Thanos could be beaten in a movie setting.
The powering down of Drax happened in the comics a good eight years or so before the first GOTG movie, but there was still more to him than the buffoon-brute the MCU has adopted (as opposed to adapted).

In his prior form, Drax possessed the abilities of flight, enhanced (superhuman) strength, flight and was able to project energy blasts. (Yes, he fought Thanos.)

Old 05-05-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I feel you man. I too had to tell them that BP will be back. They are just leaving this cliffhanger to make you come back next year and help smash some more records.
I bet none of them asked why those big rhinos weren't used in the battle against those beasties.

Old 05-06-2018, 10:29 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,127,025 times
I saw the movie. It was a great movie from start to end. DC has a lot of work to do if it wants to be on par with Marvel. DC has great and classic superheroes and villains. They are just not consistent in producing good content.

It's a shame that the X-Men and Fantastic Four were not in this movie. The comic book is untouchable though.

With Disney's acquisition of Fox's Film and TV studios, i hope that we see the Xmen, FF4, Spiderman, Deadpool mixing in with the Avengers and co. I fear the Phoenix saga is too soon for the reboot of the X-men (hell Apocalypse was too soon.) They should have done a small X-Men team vs Team X or something of the sort.

Old 05-06-2018, 04:55 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,919,946 times
Quote:
I saw the movie. It was a great movie from start to end. DC has a lot of work to do if it wants to be on par with Marvel. DC has great and classic superheroes and villains. They are just not consistent in producing good content.

It's a shame that the X-Men and Fantastic Four were not in this movie. The comic book is untouchable though.

With Disney's acquisition of Fox's Film and TV studios, i hope that we see the Xmen, FF4, Spiderman, Deadpool mixing in with the Avengers and co. I fear the Phoenix saga is too soon for the reboot of the X-men (hell Apocalypse was too soon.) They should have done a small X-Men team vs Team X or something of the sort.
Disney has already said that they want to do crossovers between the Avengers, Xmen, Fantastic 4, and Deadpool. They said that it will take time to make the crossovers work, and make sense. In the comics, all of these characters have crossed over, but it's a little harder on the big screen since they started out as separate series. I knew that Xmen and Fantastic Four wouldn't make it into Infinity War since it was already too crowded, and too soon. Although given that New York was a setting, I was really hoping that The Defenders would have at least had a quick cameo.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,799,240 times
Quote:

I don't think it's possible for DC to match Marvel because the characters are just too different. For one thing the Justice League was flawed to begin with, it would never succeed in the movies as the movie proved it's a failure. Each DC superhero had their own world that varies greatly from each other and it wouldn't be cohesive enough for them all to appear together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies