Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
However I see almost all top hollywood products are sci-fi or comic now. Not sure if it is a good thing although I like sci-fi.
I like sci-fi and comic books too, but I don't like that they dominate cinema. And you aren't the only one noticing:

Martin Scorsese slams Rotten Tomatoes and 'the devaluation of cinema' at TCM fest | EW.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"You will call me Doctor Doom. I didn't spend seven years in Evil Medical School for nothing."

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 AM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
Best analysis of the movie I've seen yet. Best line: "The over-arching theme of the Marvel Movies seems to be: GROW THE HELL UP." Oh, the irony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QQsWm7yFk

Old 05-01-2018, 11:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,617,720 times
Quote:
I like sci-fi and comic books too, but I don't like that they dominate cinema. And you aren't the only one noticing:
Dominate with respect to frequency or box office? Disney's animated films and animation-to-live-action pics make loads of money, too.

Star Wars has always made loads of money. Those LOTR movies made loads of money.

I never thought I'd see the day that the CBM genre got this big. I don't see the problem. It means we'll get more of them. I won't be going to see every one of them in the theater, anyway (just most of them).

More people are opting for genre shows on streaming and cable services over theatrical productions. There's literally something for everybody. If one feels there's too much stuff out there, blame Netflix/Hulu/HBO.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:41 AM

Spoiler

Old 05-01-2018, 01:06 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
I like sci-fi and comic books too, but I don't like that they dominate cinema.
They don't dominate cinema as a whole. They dominate the category of special-effects-driven tent-pole movies. Plenty of other types of movies are still made and still do well. Often, though, those find their audience outside the megaplex (and often on television, since they don't need a big screen for their special effects to be appreciated).

Let's face it, movies like Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Avengers: Infinity War are always going to be more popular than films like Silence, A Separation, and Lean on Pete, as they demand less of the viewer.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:15 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Oh, and count me in as someone who thoroughly enjoyed Avengers; Infinity War despite initial reservations. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the story ends this time next year!

Spoiler
Although if I was in charge of the project, I'd be tempted to let the ending of this film stand and force the survivors to deal with the reality that their best efforts to prevent Thanos from succeeding at his goal failed, now that Thanos has the gauntlet and all six stones they cannot hope to defeat him, and the Universe's population of sentient creatures has been permanently reduced by 50%.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:31 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times
Quote:

Martin Scorsese slams Rotten Tomatoes and 'the devaluation of cinema' at TCM fest | EW.com
I mean, it is what it is. Comic book movies (particularly Marvel) has found a formula that people are loving. Cinema is a free market like everything else in this country. If Scorsese or anyone else doesn’t like that they are dominating then they should go back to the drawing board and figure out what fans want, to compete with comic book movies/sci-fi. Everything in Hollywood is cyclical. Before Marvel’s recent run, they were an afterthought, and in the near-future, interest in all the comic book movies will definitely fade. There will be a next “it” genre of movies that people can complain about.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:36 PM

Westerns dominated for decades. Mobster movies were exceedingly popular for years, too. Everyone's always up for a finely tuned crime-drama. Raunchy comedies have been and still are popular.

I grew up in an era where only Batman and Superman and the occasional odd character hit the big screen. Twenty years ago, that changed. Ten years ago, things really got rolling.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:42 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Spoiler
So Nick Fury sent a message to Captain Marvel as he was dying, yes? Her movie comes out early next year, do you think the end of that movie is going to lead right into Avengers 4? Was this message a call for her help? Os is it simply a nod to her given she has an upcoming movie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies