Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 02:30 PM

20,549 posts, read 17,810,258 times

Advertisements

I was sort of waiting for Captain Marvel to pop out at the end but didn't happen. I guess they didn't want to rush the story since they need to introduce her in a separate movie 1st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 05:52 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Is anyone that eager to watch Ant Man and the Wasp now?

Heck, I waited until the first one came on cable--it just wasn't a theater event for us.

But now, I'm not sure I want to get involved in the Marvel Universe unless it's something that's on the path to resolving Infinity War. I'd be interested in Captain Marvel even as a prequel because they at least dropped her into the scene as a path to resolving Infinity War--so her prequel can be seen as sort of a flashback within the same story.

But unless they've written AMaW within the story line of Infinity War, I'm likely to wait for it to come to cable as well. I'm just not in the mood.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:14 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Based on the latest trailer? No. Too much nyuk-nyuk.

But because I actually enjoyed the first one and because as someone with an unblemished record of male heterosexuality who sees Evangeline Lilly in this movie? Yeah, I'm sure I'll see it. In the theater? Undecided. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to wait for the DVD on this one.

Quote:
But now, I'm not sure I want to get involved in the Marvel Universe unless it's something that's on the path to resolving Infinity War.
I guess I'm in the minority on this in that I wasn't all that stunned by A:IW. It was good. A fun spectacle. Great? No. I just wasn't all that wowed by it. I am eager for the Marvel-U to resolve it simply so they can go back to telling more grounded stories instead of blowing up planets.

I'm just not all that excited about anything on Marvel's upcoming slate. The one thing that might get me excited again is when they finally decide to re-do the whole movieverse with the X-Men and the Fantastic Four and do it right this time. But I'm sure that is still years away.

Now the new HELLBOY movie in the works? That is sounding like it might actually be something special.

Quote:
I'd be interested in Captain Marvel even as a prequel because they at least dropped her into the scene as a path to resolving Infinity War--so her prequel can be seen as sort of a flashback within the same story.
Isn't the Captain Marvel movie supposed to take place in the '90s?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:57 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,912,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I guess I'm in the minority on this in that I wasn't all that stunned by A:IW. It was good. A fun spectacle. Great? No. I just wasn't all that wowed by it. I am eager for the Marvel-U to resolve it simply so they can go back to telling more grounded stories instead of blowing up planets.
I wasn't "stunned" by it because I'd read the comic. But I'm not really interested in any Marvel media that doesn't add in some way to the story currently underway.

I don't mind a "...meanwhile, back at the ranch" cutaway, but they've got me going on one story....

Quote:
Isn't the Captain Marvel movie supposed to take place in the '90s?
That's why I said: "...so her prequel can be seen as sort of a flashback within the same story."

Old 05-04-2018, 09:43 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,926,948 times
Quote:

Heck, I waited until the first one came on cable--it just wasn't a theater event for us.

But now, I'm not sure I want to get involved in the Marvel Universe unless it's something that's on the path to resolving Infinity War. I'd be interested in Captain Marvel even as a prequel because they at least dropped her into the scene as a path to resolving Infinity War--so her prequel can be seen as sort of a flashback within the same story.

But unless they've written AMaW within the story line of Infinity War, I'm likely to wait for it to come to cable as well. I'm just not in the mood.
A friend and I were saying the exact same thing, lol. I’m not motivated at all to see Ant Man and Wasp after Infinity War. They pulled the short stick to have to go up after Infinity War. Not that it wil be a bad movie, but Ant Man is probablu the most light hearted character/films of the MCU, so after finally getting a dark MCU film with a dominant villain in Thanos, getting motivated for Ant Man/Wasp will be difficult. I’ll probably catch it at a matinee or on dvd. Heck, I’m not even as excited for Deadpool 2 as I was before seeing Infinity War.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:55 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
A friend and I were saying the exact same thing, lol. I’m not motivated at all to see Ant Man and Wasp after Infinity War. They pulled the short stick to have to go up after Infinity War
They're releasing the movie they think will benefit the most from riding the wake of a massive blockbuster. No surprise there. I'm not a fan of the first movie, and I've no doubt having a full-time Wasp helps, but I think the flick's going to be Gag Central. The movie's villain Ghost's chief ability is phasing through solid matter, much like the Vision. I guess that means they'll go subatomic once more for the finale.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:57 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
You'll be seeing more of it, i.e. spectacle. CG-intensive stuff. I don't think we're going to get another Winter Soldier from the MCU, which is a bummer. I don't expect Widow's solo movie to be on that level.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:11 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,197,978 times
I went yesterday. Really enjoyed the movie. After Thor: Ragnarok - which was a real disappointment for me, I was afraid there would be a letdown in Infinity War. There wasn't.

I look at the MCU and for the most part it seems to be just getting better and better. I compare this to the Star Wars franchise that just seems to be getting more and more insignificant with it's stale and repeated writing and themes. I can't even say if I have seen the last two SW movies or not, they all seem to be the same thing.

But as I said, I was afraid that after all the build-up and peeks at Thanos, who I thought was too cartoonish in the previews, he was well delivered in IW. Excelsior!

Old 05-04-2018, 05:16 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,926,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I went yesterday. Really enjoyed the movie. After Thor: Ragnarok - which was a real disappointment for me, I was afraid there would be a letdown in Infinity War. There wasn't.

I look at the MCU and for the most part it seems to be just getting better and better. I compare this to the Star Wars franchise that just seems to be getting more and more insignificant with it's stale and repeated writing and themes. I can't even say if I have seen the last two SW movies or not, they all seem to be the same thing.

But as I said, I was afraid that after all the build-up and peeks at Thanos, who I thought was too cartoonish in the previews, he was well delivered in IW. Excelsior!
I thought Infinity War was great (and much better than I expected given all the hype) and have really enjoyed the recent MCU films, but I do wonder if the MCU will have peaked with Infinity War. But looking at the Ant Man and Wasp trailer, and some of the other projects slated, I don't know that they'll keep getting better and better. There will definitely be a ton of hype for the next Avengers movie so hopefully they can deliver.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:18 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,691,780 times
Quote:
Read today that the writers intentionally wrote the story of Thanos in the "hero's journey" format.
The problem with Thanos though, they can never ever top him with another villain though, so in that regard the future for this franchise is really limited now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies