Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2019, 11:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It's pretentious mood music. At best. And the main riff is a rip-off of a '90s cartoon. Blech and blah.
Oh, come on. The motif practically slaps you in the face. Maybe you need to see Tina Guo actually play the blasted thing on her electrified cello!

Old 02-10-2019, 11:49 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Oh, come on. The motif practically slaps you in the face. Maybe you need to see Tina Guo actually play the blasted thing on her electrified cello!
I have. Didn't change my view. Actually enforced it.

And here is the thing: Not only is that riff a rip-off of a mediocre '90s cartoon theme, but the '90s cartoon theme was actually better.

This is exactly what I mean: Today's super hero movies have no good music. It's all mood filler. Zimmer is a great composer, but he's really been phoning it in lately.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:59 PM

Marvel's movies have scores that are indistinct apart from Silvestri's core melody from the Avengers' theme, and Jackman's for The Winter Soldier (not outright amazing, but decent). Actually, I take that back for Ragnarok, which I do like, and Black Panther had some neat stuff in it (but I didn't buy it).

I like all of DC's scores from Batman Begins onward, minus Suicide Squad, because there isn't much there to speak of, and Justice League, which is segment after segment of bland orchestration — the one theme that had some potential didn't even make it into the final cut. I really don't care for the scores from the first four Batman movies. Too corny. Elfman's good for stuff like Tales from the Crypt.

Just because there isn't a "hummable melody" doesn't mean a score is trash.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I really don't care for the scores from the first four Batman movies. Too corny. Elfman's good for stuff like Tales from the Crypt.
Elfman has his fans. I'm not one of them.

Quote:
Just because there isn't a "hummable melody" doesn't mean a score is trash.
Just because a burrito lacks salsa doesn't mean it isn't a burrito. But it sure helps it taste better.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:19 PM

512 posts, read 323,350 times
Quote:
Oramasfella brings up a good point, one I momentarily forgot (I'm only on this site during work hours):

Wonder Woman's new theme, which we first hear in BvS, is pretty fantastic!! (Oram, you really don't like this?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S176AKQhcCk
HI!
To be honest, it's not that I dislike it....sometimes I don't know how I feel about it. I have it on my iPod only because it is related to Wonder Woman, but it is the WW-related track that I listen to the least, though.
Also, never have I heard the WW theme and thought about the old Xmen theme. In fact, I listen to them both now, and I don't hear any resemblance.

In any case, my favorite WW tracks from the film's OST are "No Man's Land," "Lightning Strikes," "Pain Loss and Love," and "Amazons of Themyscira."

Old 02-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
Also, never have I heard the WW theme and thought about the old Xmen theme. In fact, I listen to them both now, and I don't hear any resemblance.
Neither do I. It's imaginary.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Neither do I. It's imaginary.
If so, the Collective Unconscious must be dreaming pretty loudly.

https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...theme-original

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...e_between_the/

Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post

"It is very similar to the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin." LOL!

Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM

512 posts, read 323,350 times
Quote:
"It is very similar to the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin." LOL!
WTF? Man, some nerds are just looking for things to ***** about. This forum is the first instance of me hearing or reading about the WW theme being supposedly a rip off or the Xmen theme (and trust me, I frequent tons of fanboy/comi cbook/genre sites). I don't see/hear the similarities. Yes, tthey are dreaming pretty loudly, and those dreams are simply connected to certain fanboys love for being contrarians and for looking at everything in a hypercritical manner.

Oh, well, it is their loss. Let them be happy in their echo chamber of whining, complaining, and disliking everything.

On another note...man, I am an old enough comic book nerd to remember a time when the only big-budget superhero films Hollywood made were about either Superman or Batman. As years went by, and they kept making more and more of those (plus Spider-Man films) I grew so frustrated that they never deviated from those characters (except on very few instances like Blade and Spawn, but those were usually smaller budgeted and had more low-key marketing budgeting). Ever since I was a kid loving Wonder Woman comics and then watching the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV show, I wanted a WW film so bad, but at one point I became at peace knowing in my heart that they would never make one.

But here we are today, living a truly golden era of comic-book-based films: not just because other comic book icons like Wonder Woman and Aquaman have finally become full-fledged cinematic commodities, but even many obscure, not-exactly-A-list (by mainstream, non-comic book geek standards) comic book characters have become genuinely successful movie properties. I mean, never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imaginde that Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Birds of Prey, and Shazam would get big budget solo films. And even on TV we have all kinds of less-know superheroes getting decent shows and showcases. It is just a smorgarsbord of comic book yumminess and a fantastic time to be a comic book geek.
Long live the nerds (when they are not absurdly annoying Debbie Downers)!!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
On another note...man, I am an old enough comic book nerd to remember a time when the only big-budget superhero films Hollywood made were about either Superman or Batman.
I think that's most if not (nearly) all of us here.

Quote:
As years went by, and they kept making more and more of those (plus Spider-Man films) I grew so frustrated that they never deviated from those characters (except on very few instances like Blade and Spawn, but those were usually smaller budgeted and had more low-key marketing budgeting). Ever since I was a kid loving Wonder Woman comics and then watching the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV show, I wanted a WW film so bad, but at one point I became at peace knowing in my heart that they would never make one.
The execs at WB didn't want to bother with any characters outside of Superman or Batman for over twenty years. I'm surprised they even made Supergirl and Swamp Thing. The new guard doesn't think that way, so they tried something with Green Lantern. The movie turned out to be an expensive throwaway. They didn't get anything right except his origin. Ryan Reynolds was asked if he wanted to play Flash or GL, and he opted for the latter. He's much more suited to play the former!

Quote:
But here we are today, living a truly golden era of comic-book-based films: not just because other comic book icons like Wonder Woman and Aquaman have finally become full-fledged cinematic commodities, but even many obscure, not-exactly-A-list (by mainstream, non-comic book geek standards) comic book characters have become genuinely successful movie properties. I mean, never in my wildest dreams would I have ever imaginde that Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Iron Man, Black Panther, Ms. Marvel, Birds of Prey, and Shazam would get big budget solo films. And even on TV we have all kinds of less-know superheroes getting decent shows and showcases. It is just a smorgarsbord of comic book yumminess and a fantastic time to be a comic book geek.
I still can't believe I can watch ALL these movies, let alone argue about 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies