Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 10:16 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,629,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
There were good and bad qualities in Man of Steel. Zack is saying this BS on hindsight.
Zack didn't tweet that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
So far only Aquaman and Wonder Woman are saving the DC universe.
That's funny.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:48 AM

22,934 posts, read 28,314,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Ad hominem attacks? Just mute the guy's first sentence and go from there. Focus on the part that reads "Dan Jurgens, Grant Morrison, Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Scott Snyder, Jorge Jiminez, Clay Mann, Brian Azzarello & Alex Sinclair."
Yes. Does he address any of the arguments and criticisms? Nope. Anyone who disagrees with him is a neck-beard with a youtube channel. But hey, all the Cool Kids are on his team.

It's not even a very good ad hominem attack. It's high school. Nerds vs the popular kids.

Quote:
That's funny.
It's actually sad. How can you get Superman and Batman so wrong? Two of the easiest super heroes to get right.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yes. Does he address any of the arguments and criticisms? Nope. Anyone who disagrees with him is a neck-beard with a youtube channel. But hey, all the Cool Kids are on his team.

It's not even a very good ad hominem attack. It's high school. Nerds vs the popular kids.
That's why I said to disregard his slam and look at what he's tweeting about. Don't worry about him.

Quote:
It's actually sad. How can you get Superman and Batman so wrong? Two of the easiest super heroes to get right.
Is this about the Batmobile having guns? So did Burton's. Comics, too. Old, tired argument.

Batman isn't supposed to be silly-goofy. Those are the worst stories (and movie). For that nonsense, The LEGO Batman Movie exists.

As for getting Superman right, again, it doesn't boil down to the Donner movies only. Those are what most of these arguments are based on. There is no one iteration of Superman in the comics.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 AM

And, seriously, when Marvel gets Star-Lord even 50% right...call me.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Is this about the Batmobile having guns? So did Burton's. Comics, too. Old, tired argument.

Batman isn't supposed to be silly-goofy. Those are the worst stories (and movie). For that nonsense, The LEGO Batman Movie exists.

As for getting Superman right, again, it doesn't boil down to the Donner movies only. Those are what most of these arguments are based on. There is no one iteration of Superman in the comics.
The issues go FAR beyond the Batmobile having guns or you being in a perpetual measuring contest with Donner's Superman. But I'm not going to re-hash all that again.

Quote:
And, seriously, when Marvel gets Star-Lord even 50% right...call me.
Allow me to yet again point out to you the blatantly obvious difference:

You could go to any place on the planet and ask anyone, "Tell me about Superman, Batman, and Spider-Man," and at least 90% of the people on this planet could give you a halfway intelligent answer. You can go to sub-Saharan Africa and meet people who can give you Superman's basic story. You can go to the jungles of India and meet people with no running water, and they can tell you about Batman and Spider-Man.

In 2012, you could have gone to Americans who own 400 DVDs and go to the movies at least four times month and asked them, "Tell me about Star-Lord." 99 out of 100 would have answered, "Who?"

There is a world of difference between a mythological and cultural icon with 80 years of history and a C-list character that 99% of people have never even heard of.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
The issues go FAR beyond the Batmobile having guns or you being in a perpetual measuring contest with Donner's Superman. But I'm not going to re-hash all that again.
I'm not the one measuring every post-iteration of a cinematic Superman against those movies. That's my point.

Quote:
Allow me to yet again point out to you the blatantly obvious difference:
I knew that's exactly what you were going to say, in your consistently profuse manner, and again I say that that does not make it any less correct.

Now, if you're arguing that none of the above matter because the only thing that really matters is box office, that's another thing. And if that's the case, how does a guy like Denis Villeneuve still have a job?

Get my drift?

Also, in a character(s) with 80 years of history, the same-old, same-old is exactly that. I loved Adam West's Batman as a kid. But that take will not work today. They even tried it...remember?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu39a1HltEA

Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not the one measuring every post-iteration of a cinematic Superman against those movies.
Actually, you are. Every time this subject comes up, you decry Donner --- even when no one has mentioned Donner. I get the impression you spend a lot of time on other boards arguing with people who worship the Donner movies. That's fine. But it ain't me, babe.

Quote:
Now, if you're arguing that none of the above matter because the only thing that really matters is box office, that's another thing.
To studio execs … yes, that's largely all that matters.

But not to me. My all-time favorite movie was a box office bomb.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, you are. Every time this subject comes up, you decry Donner --- even when no one has mentioned Donner. I get the impression you spend a lot of time on other boards arguing with people who worship the Donner movies. That's fine. But it ain't me, babe.
I don't have to argue with anyone. It's practically spelled out on billboards by some people. I'm hardheaded when it comes to certain things, like anybody, but some/most of the zombies' narrowmindedness is glaring.

It seems like Frank Miller by way of Zack Snyder is now reviled, but I recall Frank was regarded as a visionary, like Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. Some people want others to think that's changed, or it never was so, but they're wrong.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I don't have to argue with anyone. It's practically spelled out on billboards by some people. I'm hardheaded when it comes to certain things, like anybody, but some/most of the zombies' narrowmindedness is glaring.
You ever had an argument with your brother when halfway through you realize he's really not mad at you but someone else entirely and is taking it out on you? That's how I often feel arguing with you. You're bringing your arguments with other boards here.

Quote:
It seems like Frank Miller by way of Zack Snyder is now reviled, but I recall Frank was regarded as a visionary, like Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore. Some people want others to think that's changed, or it never was so, but they're wrong.
Miller was a visionary, but like any visionary, he sometimes stumbled. BATMAN: YEAR ONE is one of the greatest comic storylines of all time. So is DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN. I'm not the huge fan of THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS that everyone else is, but I understand why it's appreciated. But then he also did THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN and ALL STAR BATMAN & ROBIN, the former which was embarrassingly bad, and the latter which was hilariously bad.

"It's like Miller!" is a lot like "It's like McCartney!" Do you mean the Beatles or do you mean Wings? One is classic. The other is … not.

And when it comes to Alan Moore, not only does the Emperor have no clothes, but I really wish he'd stop playing with himself in public.

Old 03-25-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
"It's like Miller!" is a lot like "It's like McCartney!" Do you mean the Beatles or do you mean Wings? One is classic. The other is … not.
I'm not a Beatles fan. They're seriously overrated. I'm not a Macca fan, either. But even I'm able to see the huge crowd amassing behind you, ready and armed to the teeth to "debate" you about your "Wings ain't classic" write-off.

Quote:
And when it comes to Alan Moore, not only does the Emperor have no clothes, but I really wish he'd stop playing with himself in public.
But that's just you. I sense it's mainly to do with Watchmen. If you don't like it, that's okay. To me, it's not his all-time best work. That would be his epic run on Swamp Thing. What he did on and for that book is the stuff legends are made of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies