Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 11:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times

Advertisements

Flash and Aquaman are the best bets, even better if they could get cameos from Sups & GL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 06:44 PM

22,919 posts, read 28,268,441 times
The President of DC Entertainment speaks on this issue:

DC Chief on Superman, Wonder Woman and 5 Superheroes Who Deserve Movies (Q&A)

Old 07-21-2013, 07:13 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Man of steel was ok but had lots of loopholes and fails.

Lois Lane already knowing the identity of Superman/Clark

No Fortress of Solitude in this reboot. This is where Superman receives his training/knowledge of his abilities, etc.

There was no character development of Clark Kent. This movie was pretty much Superman 60% and Clark 40%.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The President of DC Entertainment speaks on this issue:

DC Chief on Superman, Wonder Woman and 5 Superheroes Who Deserve Movies (Q&A)
Nice link - I read it and basically she says in a round about way that we're behind Marvel but working on it.

DC doesn't seem to have a clear vision of how they'd like the comics to unfold and tie together on screen. I really enjoyed basically all the marvel movies. I enjoyed Dark Knight. Man of Steel, Green Lantern, I had to think about it a bit and convince myself it wasn't bad.

There in lies the rub, I remember that most people who never picked up a comic LOVED Dark Knight and Iron Man. Director and key actor - if they can pull off that combo just about anything they decide will be a hit.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:37 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,421,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Aquaman could work. With the advances in movie filming and tech they could come up with something and create a grand adventure with him. It would take a lot of work though to really flesh out a story and adventure but it can be done i am sure.

FISH....get in my belly...........GET IN MY BELLY!!!!!

Ok, I'm just yanking your chain. I think it could be done, but it would have to be dark. Kind of like Sub-Mariner. Great whites, killer whales and octopi eating the bad guys.......with a swordfish taking out the leader. Like they took out Ming in Flash Gordon.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Nice link - I read it and basically she says in a round about way that we're behind Marvel but working on it.

DC doesn't seem to have a clear vision of how they'd like the comics to unfold and tie together on screen. I really enjoyed basically all the marvel movies. I enjoyed Dark Knight. Man of Steel, Green Lantern, I had to think about it a bit and convince myself it wasn't bad.

There in lies the rub, I remember that most people who never picked up a comic LOVED Dark Knight and Iron Man. Director and key actor - if they can pull off that combo just about anything they decide will be a hit.
Ever since Marvel got some of their properties back and started doing their own movies (beginning with IRON MAN) they have done so with the larger "Marvel universe" in mind. All the films tie together. DC hasn't done that. Even their better efforts, like the Nolan films, not only don't tie in to other heroes, they make a very small world for that particular hero. Batman's story pretty much ended with the last movie.

DC's other problem is that most of their line-up isn't suited for live action movies. They just come across as goofy. Batman and Superman work to a degree. After that ... does anyone really see a live action Aquaman or Wonder Woman being anything but a hundred kinds of silly? And even with Supes, once you've established his origin story, he's kind of boring.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
OH! OH! geeking out here but at least that's kewl now!

The only DC story that I would put money on as a really profitable live action movie is Teen Titans doing the Raven/Trigon story.

Millions of younger people really liked the early 2000's Teen Titans cartoon so there is character recognition and it has the appropriate balance of compelling story, action, powerful (but not too powerful) heroes, awkward teenage angst, friendships and conflicts, dark temptation, hot skanky babes who you can't have and potential for freaking awesome special effects that any good superhero movie needs.

Somebody send me a check and I'll get going on the script.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,420 times
Default WW needs a Lex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
The big problem is that DC has no faith in its own characters. Marvel put a D Level character out there like Blade and made it a hit.

Blade (who no one knew) can get a movie but Aquaman or Wonder Woman can't get a sniff??
That's DC's fault
Exactly; and Iron Man wasn't that obscure a character. His popularity has shot up since the movies, but he has had a couple of cartoons in the past. He wasn't as obscure as Blade. Or even Electra, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Good opinion piece on Wonder Woman:

The Problem With Wonder Woman | Tor.com
That is a good piece, but it still misses a point I keep making: Her rogues gallery is horrible. She isn't the only superhero with this problem, but it still means that Hollywood needs to come up with a compelling villain for her to fight.

Everyone loves seeing Batman battle the Joker, and everyone knows who Lex Luther is. Even GL has Sinestro, which is an enemy for GL at its most basic (You have a green ring, I have a YELLOW one!). Even Aquaman has Black Mantis.

Robot Chicken: Reverse Villains - YouTube

Old 07-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Even Aquaman has Black Mantis.
Give your villain a sinister helmet. Hard to go wrong with that.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:02 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
The only superhero with this problem, but it still means that Hollywood needs to come up with a compelling villain for her to fight.

Everyone loves seeing Batman battle the Joker, and everyone knows who Lex Luther is. Even GL has Sinestro, which is an enemy for GL at its most basic (You have a green ring, I have a YELLOW one!). Even Aquaman has Black Mantis.
If done right, her rougue gallery could have epic battles against Ares, Doctor Light, Cheetah, Lycus, Giganta, Circe, Doctor Cyber, Atlas and Clayface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies