Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 03:20 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
A Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Cyclops, or Flash movie, again if done right could work really well. Spend the time necessary on the origin and don't be so quick to get them in a superhero suit.
I can't see Martian Manhunter having his own film because there isn't a ton of back story on the character, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 PM

5,167 posts, read 3,661,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not just crazy, but a little creepy. She dresses like a 4th of July stripper, ties up villains, and forces them to tell the truth. At one time I thought: Surely I'm reading too much into that. This popular kids' super hero really isn't some creep's bondage fetish. But then I read the origins of Wonder Woman, and yep, it was some creep's bondage fetish.
Yeah, when I was a kid, I wasn't thinking that, obviously, but then I read something about that years later, and thought, the lasso, the costume, yeah...it does kind of fit a little too neatly...

Old 06-29-2013, 07:24 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I would say the reason why Marvel characters are far superior to DC heroes on screen is that they are, with only a few exceptions, human. DC heroes on the other hand, are often non-humans that are much harder to make humanistic without being a cartoon. We can much more easily relate to the challenges faced by, say, a Bruce Banner controlling his emotions, or a Tony Stark and his alcoholism, or Spider Man or X-Men dealing with certain - ahem - changes to their bodies during puberty. That's why Batman has succeeded where others have failed - after all he's a human playing a non-powered superhero rather than a super-powered Martian/Kryptonian/Atlantean/Amazonian Princess pretending to be human.

That being said, I think Captain Marvel would be an excellent candidate, if they could manage to tone down the corniness that's generally played up in his storylines.
Hmm, I tend to agree - Marvel has always been about angst, angst, angst - it's not easy being "super". Should spidey deliver the pizza to make his rent and keep his job, or save a girl from a burning building? Compared to Superman who can stop a mugger while pretending to go to the bathroom. I see your point.

You know you raise a great possible character - Captain Marvel would be great...supernatural (sorta), the gods, and all that. Could work.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
Yeah, when I was a kid, I wasn't thinking that, obviously, but then I read something about that years later, and thought, the lasso, the costume, yeah...it does kind of fit a little too neatly...
I think that's the beauty of it. They could totally reboot Wonder Woman's look, persona, etc. in a movie. Just like they got away from batmans gray and blue tights from the 60s they could do the same and give her a one piece or something. It could work and I really believe should be a salt/columbina type kick@ss woman and that stripper aurora will totally be gone

Old 06-30-2013, 04:11 AM

6 posts, read 5,688 times
I agree, we need in a new format of the heroes films, The developers of these things must will be making some changes. They are leaving the old format where super-heroes in the funny clothes were leaping from roof to roof like crazy ones. I think, the super-heroes must throw them own suits, and wear jackets and shirts. And become more cynical men and women. The other things will be for cartoons. Then, these worlds must be darker and more gloomy, the super-heroes must die in terrible torments always. But, the other traits must be abandoned. It is all my view of the world of the super-heroes.

Old 06-30-2013, 05:49 AM

24,425 posts, read 23,088,846 times
I've said bring back Batman as a campy comedic half hour( each part) TV series.
They could also do a full length Superboy movie.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:14 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,700,168 times
Can you guys see a Green Arrow, Cyborg, Lobo, Aquaman, Hawkman, Zatanna, Booster Gold, Doctor Fate and/or Captain Marvel movie being successful?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 PM

22,924 posts, read 28,298,223 times
Good opinion piece on Wonder Woman:

The Problem With Wonder Woman | Tor.com

Old 06-30-2013, 04:03 PM

371 posts, read 894,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I remember the flash series in the 80s - yes it was actually pretty good then got abruptly canceled (as usual).
They put it on against Cosby. That was a foolish move on their part.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Can you guys see a Green Arrow, Cyborg, Lobo, Aquaman, Hawkman, Zatanna, Booster Gold, Doctor Fate and/or Captain Marvel movie being successful?
If done correctly - why not? My argument has always been Marvel took an largely unknown character such as Iron Man, got a good origin story, the right actor, and the right substance - $4Billion in sales later it's a success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies