Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,603,261 times

Advertisements

Who's making the best films and franchises?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 02:22 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,275,679 times
Marvel leads the way on the big screen while DC leads the way in animation.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Marvel leads the way on the big screen while DC leads the way in animation.
Yep.

Marvel has made some fanastic movies, some good movies, and a few stinkers. They have yet to make an outstanding cartoon. In fact, most of their cartoons are downright bad.

DC has made one fantastic movie, some good movies, and a few stinkers. But even their best efforts stand alone. There is no sense of a wider universe. But thanks to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, DC has the best cartoons on TV.

Dini/Timm manage to achieve something that Marvel can't: They make a cartoon suitable for children that can still appeal to adults. Marvel is really REALLY bad at that. Maybe it's because of the Disney buy-out, but all of their cartoons seem geared toward 10 year olds. For example, I adored the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN comics. Some of my all time favorites. The cartoon is horrid. In tone, it feels more like Gilligan's Island than Spider-Man. My 7 year old loves it. None of the other kids do.

DC should bite the bullet and let Dini/Timm do a live action movie. Nolan is a fantastic director, but his scripts are like half-finished jigsaw puzzles. Or Marvel should pay Dini/Timm a gazillion dollars to jump ship.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM

668 posts, read 995,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Dini/Timm manage to achieve something that Marvel can't: They make a cartoon suitable for children that can still appeal to adults. Marvel is really REALLY bad at that. Maybe it's because of the Disney buy-out, but all of their cartoons seem geared toward 10 year olds. For example, I adored the ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN comics. Some of my all time favorites. The cartoon is horrid. In tone, it feels more like Gilligan's Island than Spider-Man. My 7 year old loves it. None of the other kids do.
I think I had more fun watching the Super Hero Squad Show than my kids, although they really enjoyed it, too. I also thought the recent Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes was well done, and they managed to cram in a bunch of different stories from the Avengers' past. Other than that, though, I'd probably agree with you.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yep.

Marvel has made some fanastic movies, some good movies, and a few stinkers. They have yet to make an outstanding cartoon. In fact, most of their cartoons are downright bad.

DC has made one fantastic movie, some good movies, and a few stinkers. But even their best efforts stand alone. There is no sense of a wider universe. But thanks to Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, DC has the best cartoons on TV.

DC should bite the bullet and let Dini/Timm do a live action movie. Nolan is a fantastic director, but his scripts are like half-finished jigsaw puzzles. Or Marvel should pay Dini/Timm a gazillion dollars to jump ship.
Yes sir, I keep hoping for a well made DC styled Marvel Spider-Man animation movie but it's just not happening. I really think you hit the nail on the head with linking Marvel's poor Animation to the Disney buy out. Marvel err, Disney needs to understand that a lot of the Marvel fan base is 30 yr olds. It's like Frank Miller said once, they stopped creating comics to kids 20 years ago. Now that's not to say they should ignore the little tikes, but they need to create a sub-level animation for their older fan base.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM

22,938 posts, read 28,322,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
a lot of the Marvel fan base is 30 yr olds.
It's safe to say that MOST of Marvel's fan base 30+ years old. That's largely because Marvel hooked us when we were kids. But they did NOT do it by pandering to kids. Even back in the '70s, Marvel didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. There were lots of intelligent, well written stories with pathos.

I understand that Marvel wants to attract a younger audience. They should. But they need to stop doing it with cartoons barely on the level of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Marvel/DC

Franchises by Average Box Office Gross - Top 5

1. Spiderman (4) $812.1m
2. Iron Man (3) $807m
3. Batman (7) $530.4m
4. X-Men (5*) $378m
5. Superman (6) $253.1m

*The Wolverine is the 6th film, released 3 days ago.

Films by Box Office Gross - Top 20

1. Marvel the Avengers - $1.51b
2. Iron Man 3 - $1.21b
3. The Dark Knight Rises - $1.08b
4. The Dark Knight - $1b
5. Spiderman 3 - $890.8m
6. Spiderman - $821.7m
7. Spiderman 2 - $783.7m
8. The Amazing Spider Man - $752.2m
9. Man of Steel - $643.8m
10. Iron Man 2 - $623.9m
11. Iron Man - $585.1m
12. X-Men: The Last Stand - $459.3m
13. Thor - $449.3m
14. Batman - $411.3m
15. X2:X-Men United - $407.7m
16. Superman Returns - $391m
17. Batman Begins - $374.2m
18. X-Men Origins: Wolverine - $373m
19. Captain America: The First Avenger - $368.6m
20. X-Men: First Class - $353.6m

Old 07-29-2013, 03:39 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,018,974 times
I'm steal waiting for a feature length "Justice League" movie.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I'm steal waiting for a feature length "Justice League" movie.
With what characters? How is DC setting up a shared universe?

Old 07-29-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
It's safe to say that MOST of Marvel's fan base 30+ years old. That's largely because Marvel hooked us when we were kids. But they did NOT do it by pandering to kids. Even back in the '70s, Marvel didn't pander to the lowest common denominator. There were lots of intelligent, well written stories with pathos.

I understand that Marvel wants to attract a younger audience. They should. But they need to stop doing it with cartoons barely on the level of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
You're absolutely right, heck, reading a 70's-80's comic was/is almost like reading a novel. A modern comic probably contains 2-3 paragraphs if you're lucky. Now days you're simply buying the art work, not the writing...which is only written on a 5th grade level at best. That's one of the main reasons I enjoy collecting and reading Silver age comics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies