Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 09:28 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,150,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
yup. That is called agreeing with you. People use to do that back in the old days.
Meanwhile, you've still not answered my question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 10:46 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
You’re right she won’t be judged by 7 days

She will be judged by all the families who lost loved ones in nursing homes due to Covid. All the restaurants and bars plus other businesses closed for most the year. Now still having strict restrictions. All the unemployed people and people who will lose their businesses and homes

MI may have a big population of disadvantaged but so do these other states. They also didn’t place people back in the nursing home

If the restrictions worked we would be one of the states with the best ratings not in the lower end. MI, CA, NY are the three states with the strictest restrictions and have from day one to today done worse then many with less restrictions. I think I read CA has the highest unemployment rate now but NY and MI is doing terrible too.

In a year when a lot of businesses are closed for good and people are losing their homes what will be your answer and Whitmer? That she saved a lot of lives when in reality she hasn’t
Now the deaths have come way down and most of the seniors have been vaccinated yet still we have restrictions. People need and deserve to make money and support their family

Lastly her reasoning like at the beginning with no buying paint or you can golf but not play tennis
The past few weeks numbers have been going up and today she increased stadium seating. Why not months ago when numbers were lower? She has done that in the past kept things closed with lower numbers and the. opened with higher. At the start I understood more because they were learning but now it’s been a year and it seems more about control

I was watching a news video and it said once you give someone power it’s hard for them to give it up
If she hadn’t lost her powers to Supreme Court she would have things closed still

Old 03-22-2021, 01:48 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
You’re right she won’t be judged by 7 days

She will be judged by all the families who lost loved ones in nursing homes due to Covid. All the restaurants and bars plus other businesses closed for most the year. Now still having strict restrictions. All the unemployed people and people who will lose their businesses and homes

MI may have a big population of disadvantaged but so do these other states. They also didn’t place people back in the nursing home

If the restrictions worked we would be one of the states with the best ratings not in the lower end. MI, CA, NY are the three states with the strictest restrictions and have from day one to today done worse then many with less restrictions. I think I read CA has the highest unemployment rate now but NY and MI is doing terrible too.

In a year when a lot of businesses are closed for good and people are losing their homes what will be your answer and Whitmer? That she saved a lot of lives when in reality she hasn’t
Now the deaths have come way down and most of the seniors have been vaccinated yet still we have restrictions. People need and deserve to make money and support their family

Lastly her reasoning like at the beginning with no buying paint or you can golf but not play tennis
The past few weeks numbers have been going up and today she increased stadium seating. Why not months ago when numbers were lower? She has done that in the past kept things closed with lower numbers and the. opened with higher. At the start I understood more because they were learning but now it’s been a year and it seems more about control

I was watching a news video and it said once you give someone power it’s hard for them to give it up
If she hadn’t lost her powers to Supreme Court she would have things closed still

If I understand you right, you don't feel that the more contagious variants are more of a danger to the people of Michigan? It has become a big issue over the past couple of weeks...and will spread to other states. I don't address this issue as being about Whitmer, but rather a matter of public health. Our Covid rates have increased tremendously, and we are 2nd in the country for cases of the UK variant. To my understanding, this changes the whole situation for our state. Other more contagious variants (which might be resistant to the vaccines) are moving in, too. The more cases of Covid we get, the more the virus will evolve.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
If I understand you right, you don't feel that the more contagious variants are more of a danger to the people of Michigan? It has become a big issue over the past couple of weeks...and will spread to other states. I don't address this issue as being about Whitmer, but rather a matter of public health. Our Covid rates have increased tremendously, and we are 2nd in the country for cases of the UK variant. To my understanding, this changes the whole situation for our state. Other more contagious variants (which might be resistant to the vaccines) are moving in, too. The more cases of Covid we get, the more the virus will evolve.

There will always be a variant. So should things be restricted for years or forever ?

Once people get vaccinated there has been no cases of severe illnesses or death from Covid. Whatever variant it is. Should the public live in fear of what if forever?

The majority of deaths are from over 65 and I have to believe most of that age group has or will be vaccinated soon.

In April once the general public can get if the vaccine and if people don’t then what?

Public health also includes mental and financial. The mental toll this is taking on kids and adults plus the financial needs to be accounted for. It’s been a year

Old 03-22-2021, 02:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,861,614 times
Did I say that things should be restricted for years? No one wants that! Vaccines can slow the mutations. More of us need to be vaccinated, ASAP to end this whole situation.

Yes, the variant that is taking over in Michigan and Florida is more contagious,and to the whole community. It is expected to spread throughout the country. The UK variant, which I am referring to, is expected to be dominant throughout the country soon.

We can't just stick our heads in the sand and cry that "we waited long enough" and no longer need to concern ourselves with a change in circumstances, even if we find it very upsetting and unsettling. Viruses don't care! They can make our problems worse than they already are, and for the whole family.

We still have to deal with the problem and control the situation, before it's out of control again. At the very least, get vaccinated and urge family members to do so, too.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
There will always be a variant. So should things be restricted for years or forever ?
Actually, no. It doesn't have to be this way. Though the anti-vax movement in this country is certainly doing its best to make it so.

The answer to your question is going to vary by each individual's threshold of tolerance for above-average death rates.
Quote:
Once people get vaccinated there has been no cases of severe illnesses or death from Covid. Whatever variant it is. Should the public live in fear of what if forever?
There are variants which have been scientifically proven to be much more resistant to vaccines (South African, Brazilian). So it's only a matter of time before this statement becomes factually incorrect.
Quote:
In April once the general public can get if the vaccine and if people don’t then what?
Then it will finally be time to place blame on someone other than Whitmer (Cuomo, Newsom, DeSantis, Abbott, etc.).
Quote:
Public health also includes mental and financial. The mental toll this is taking on kids and adults plus the financial needs to be accounted for. It’s been a year
FWIW, long Covid also has mental and financial implications. It's not just about the deaths.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:34 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I hear a lot of complaints about Whitmer relating to her policies in reaction to Covid-19. Am I just hearing the complainers, and most people are happy with her response. Or is their widespread dissatisfaction. And is this going to effect the presidential vote in MI?
DIMWITmer?? THAT Witmer??

Old 03-22-2021, 03:01 PM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
If you don't get tested ..your not sick for the statistics .
There are Lies...Damn Lies.. and then there are Statistics.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Actually, no. It doesn't have to be this way. Though the anti-vax movement in this country is certainly doing its best to make it so.

The answer to your question is going to vary by each individual's threshold of tolerance for above-average death rates.
There are variants which have been scientifically proven to be much more resistant to vaccines (South African, Brazilian). So it's only a matter of time before this statement becomes factually incorrect.Then it will finally be time to place blame on someone other than Whitmer (Cuomo, Newsom, DeSantis, Abbott, etc.).
FWIW, long Covid also has mental and financial implications. It's not just about the deaths.

Are you serious they are blaming Cuomo and Newsom. More then Whitmer

After getting the vaccine there have been no serious Covid illness or Covid deaths which includes the variant
Like I said there will always be a what if.
Scientifically proven how to be more resistant? The fact is right now no Covid deaths or severe illness after the vaccine

People die of the flu every year even with the vaccine. We don’t close businesses and schools

Old 03-22-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Are you serious they are blaming Cuomo and Newsom. More then Whitmer
Certainly not any less. Cuomo made his own bed with his other extracurricular activities, so everything is getting thrown at him at once.
Quote:
After getting the vaccine there have been no serious Covid illness or Covid deaths which includes the variant
Like I said there will always be a what if.
And, like I said, it's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when". Moderna and Pfizer are already working on booster shots for the variants, but we've barely gotten needles in a quarter of American adult arms (likely less), never mind third shots.
Quote:
Scientifically proven how to be more resistant? The fact is right now no Covid deaths or severe illness after the vaccine
Yes.
Quote:
People die of the flu every year even with the vaccine. We don’t close businesses and schools
This is a false equivalence of the most primitive order. The flu cannot be transmitted "silently", the flu kills literally an order of magnitude less people per year than Covid did in its first 365 days, there are vaccines readily available against flu (and major flu outbreaks DO shut down schools) and there is no such thing as “long flu”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan