Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 PM

20,143 posts, read 9,036,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Almost every business around me is screaming for employees. It is not uncommon for fast food restaurants to stop serving because they have no staff. I think the COVID unemployment situation as reported in the news does not reflect reality. No doubt certain areas may have special circumstances that causes an unemployment spike, but I think anyone that wants to work will be able to find a job out there. The school district my wife works in has 40 openings for para-professionals (not counting teachers here) and there are no applicants. Difficult to explain.
sit home on your a$$ and collect $400 a week, it's easy to explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 04:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
MI has 16,559 Covid deaths for population of 10 million
FL has 31,270 Covid deaths for population of 22 million. In season I’m assuming the population is higher
Florida has more then double our population
So Michigan's totalitarian lockdowns did not show any better results than Florida.

Old 03-04-2021, 05:58 AM

495 posts, read 328,632 times
Comparing Michigan and Florida is like comparing apples to oranges. Michigan found as many covid deaths as it possibly could. Florida hid as many covid deaths as it possibly could.

How about comparing Michigan to Arizona, or to one of the other states that was hit early on when they were still clueless about treatments?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:28 AM

43 posts, read 42,646 times
What happened to the flu?

Old 03-04-2021, 08:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times
Right now we have the 19th highest overall Covid deaths. 31 states have less. Yes MI is doing better then before since up till a couple months ago we had the 6th highest Covid deaths.

Overall for some of the strictest restrictions MI has not done well. There has to be some balance between the economy and keeping people safe which should of happened months ago not after so long. Right now our economy is not looking good. Like I said before MI has higher unemployment rate then 38 states.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:50 PM

81 posts, read 49,042 times
I’m not a fan, but she’s crazy popular where I’m at (Ann Arbor area)

Old 03-08-2021, 10:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffskies View Post
I’m not a fan, but she’s crazy popular where I’m at (Ann Arbor area)
I think it depends on your circles. In my world, she is about as popular as a plantar wart.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
R
Overall for some of the strictest restrictions MI has not done well. .
I believe tis is in part because the "strict" restrictions were consistently foolish and made little or no sense. this is exacerbated by the fact that the governor quickly lost all credibility with the laughable orders and man people just ignored them.

when you issue orders like you can buy paint or plants in a small store, but not in a big one; or you can go to bars that get less than 70% of their income from alcohol and you will not get covid; or you can fish in a rowboat, sailboat, canoe, kayak, raft, but not in a boat that has any kind of motor; or liquor stores and strip clubs can remain open but movie theaters and churches must close; or you have have 1500 people go to a church without social distancing and no mask requirement if they are going to vote, but the same church cannot have 250 people with masks and social distancing attamed to worship God; or Outdoor protests are fine with no masks or social distancing, but outdoor concerts with masks and social distancing are not. Or. . ..

Eventually people just say "She is FOS" and stop listening. Then you get less compliance or chaotic, willy nilly compliance that you would with limited rational orders.

If you want a shocker, compare Michigan and Ohio. Then remember that Ohio has a larger population than Michigan. Ohio was also open a lot more. In fact those of us in Michigan who live within 50 miles of Ohio went there for dining, entertainment, haircuts, paint and other shopping, etc. The two states have virtually the same income, education, poverty level, minority population, age metrics, number of employers, . . . It is hard to find two states with populations that are more alike. Michigan has more homeowners as a percentage, Ohio has more veterans. Michigan has more water, and forests and less interstate travel.

Why are they so different?

One distinction is that Ohio has historically had substantially better government. Better libraries, roads, tax structure, (not sure about schools). Ohio's COVID laws were less draconian and less random. Perhaps it is simply the confidence that people have in their local governments and the willingness to follow the regulations?

I have seen some other attempts to draw distinctions but most do not make sense when analyzed. Those with some plausibility might account fo a small difference in COVID impact. This difference is beyond huge.

Michigan contracts out some government services to other states (like prisons); perhaps we should contract out governance of the entire State to Ohio. (And no, I do not love Ohio (they drive too slow), but I can recognize patently better government when it slaps me in the face).

Old 03-08-2021, 11:24 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

It's untrue Michigan restaurants have permanently closed due to Whitmer's restrictions? You need to get out in the real world and see for yourself.
Try being less emotional and reading a little more slowly.

This is the post being referred to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Big Gretch is Indiana's Business Person Of The Year !

Pretty sad when you have to drive to another state for a hair cut.

Old 03-08-2021, 11:26 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That cannot be what they meant. It is extremely obvious that we have lost hundreds of restaurants. You do not even need to go anywhere to find a substantial percentage closed forever. A lot of small specialty stores went under too.
Anyone who can read and comprehend common American English can see it's not what I was talking about, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan