Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 07:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,831,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
In a perfect world - and I hate to invoke China for a variety of human rights reasons, but they certainly handled the situation a whole lot better than we did - we'd have had a period of extreme restrictions with the government pitching in to help those who needed it, followed by mass vaccinations. Instead we started with Covid denial by our country's top officials, who then threatened to withhold or actually withheld help from the states who dared call them out, followed by an inconsistent and drawn out decentralized stop-start process of restrictions, then easing, then more restrictions, then easing, and round and round it went. Mask wearing became a political hot button. Seriously. I still can't wrap my head around this.I already answered your question. So have others. Have the common decency to read the responses. Or maybe just read this.

By the way, awesome job cherrypicking things to respond to.
Quote:
Actually, I do not. I've responded to pretty much everything you've written.You've said. What of it?

You can speak in a better tone
Your point would come across better

No you don’t when I said we are 3rd worst state today for Covid
You wanted proof which I gave and you skip right over that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,166,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
You can speak in a better tone
I'll take that under advisement.
Quote:
Your point would come across better
Somehow I doubt it.
Quote:
No you don’t when I said we are 3rd worst state today for Covid
I didn't say I answered every single thing you've posted, did I? Where I am at around a 90% clip, you've skipped over about 90% of what I and others have written here.
Quote:
You wanted proof which I gave and you skip right over that
Right. How dare I skip over a sentence. Also, I didn't want "proof". I wanted to know what methodology you were using. You posted the link. Well done. It's an appropriate statistic for the conversation we're having, for once.

Here's the problem with you. Whitmer has eased restrictions (verifiable; she issued the order February 1, even though she hasn't done the same thing Abbott did in Texas in saying "we're 100% open") and you're asking why she's done it if our case load is growing, in order to impeach her competence. Had she not eased them and Michigan's cases had fallen as result, you'd be asking why she hasn't eased them. So enlighten us. If you were entrusted with her job, what would you have done?

Old 03-26-2021, 03:02 AM

Like I should of done before I’m not going to go back and forth with you
You can feel how you want

Old 03-26-2021, 08:00 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Online friend in the Netherlands just checked in- her 14 year old kid went back to full time classes two weeks ago and health authorities there consider masks to be optional in schools rather than mandatory. End result- all four testing positive for UK variant now with mild to moderate symptoms with probably 95% odds that the unmasked teenager at school was the vector point given other behavior and movement patterns by people in the house.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Like I should of done before I’m not going to go back and forth with you
You can feel how you want
You never did have anything of substance to say, so this response should have been expected.

Note how I said "should have", not "should of". Thanks for making my point about education for me.

Old 03-26-2021, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You never did have anything of substance to say, so this response should have been expected.

Note how I said "should have", not "should of". Thanks for making my point about education for me.

I gave multiple facts to you

I’m sorry I’m not as smart as you. Trust me unlike you I have never felt I was smart. You seem to think you know it all.

You have a disgusting attitude. Making someone feel less is really mature.

I’m not proof reading my response like I’m writing for a paper anyway

Old 03-26-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I gave multiple facts to you
Your previous comment was positively laden with them.

Throughout this entire discussion, you very carefully omitted those replies which disproved your (mostly unsubstantiated) claims.
Quote:
I’m sorry I’m not as smart as you. Trust me unlike you I have never felt I was smart.
I never realized feeling like you're smart was something to be ashamed of.
Quote:
You seem to think you know it all.
I definitely do not "know it all", but the things I do know, I know pretty well. And one of those things I know well is that when you make sweeping generalizations without offering much by way of proof and fixate on a narrow point of view, you usually tend to come off second-best in any argument.
Quote:
You have a disgusting attitude.
From your vantage point, I'm sure it looks that way. Though, I suppose the attitude of "if (insert profession name here) doesn't like (something), they can find another job" is also quite far from sunshine and puppies.
Quote:
Making someone feel less is really mature.
Nobody can make the other feel less. If you feel less as result of talking to me, may I suggest the solution is in the mirror?
Quote:
I’m not proof reading my response like I’m writing for a paper anyway
There's nothing to proofread, as this was not a typo.

Old 03-28-2021, 12:05 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,495,207 times
I won't have 100% recovery, despite never having the virus. My health became permanently worse because I couldn't get "nonessential" healthcare for a while last year.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:00 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I won't have 100% recovery, despite never having the virus. My health became permanently worse because I couldn't get "nonessential" healthcare for a while last year.
Because of the decline in "nonessential healthcare" medical facilities are now short staffed.

My father fell in our driveway and busted up his face last Wednesday evening. We went to our local hospital (the one where the ER normally has no wait). They had a 5 to 6 hour wait for the ER. There were people on gurneys in the halls and all over the place. It looked like a scene from a disaster movie. Why? They are short staffed due to covid.

We told them we were going to try another ER. They said "Don't go to Brownstown, they just closed and notified ambulance services not to bring any more patients there, they cannot take any more people." So, we called the big hospital. They told us it would be a minimum of 2-3 hours wait, but probably longer, depending on how many trauma cases came in.

We called Ascension on Novi and they were not that busy, but said they could not tell us a wait time. If anything came in before we got there, it could be a very long wait, they were short staffed (although they would not say this specifically, I had to drag it out of them through evasive answers). Given the drive was considerably more than an hour each way, we decided to call the DMC. DMC said they ahd only one patient waiting for ER admission. It was only half an hour away, we ran up the the DMC (ooops).

We got right in, but then they left for a while (hours). Then they did a CT scan to make sure he had no internal damage to his head. They they disappeared again for hours. Eventually they explained that because of the loss of non-essential patients during covid, they are on a very very tight budget. The ER is staffed based on anticipated loads in order to avoid budget overruns. They had only two doctors and four resident interns on staff (and apparently two nurses, but we did not see a lot of them). There was an accident on the freeway, and all of the victims were brought to the DMC, so their entire staff was tied up. Some other trauma cases came in as well and at one point a guy was screaming obscenities' and threatening people, not sure what happened, but he engaged a lot of their personnel. I also noticed the resident intern guy did everything. H had no support. A nurse did come by for some specific things, but while sewing Dad's face up, the guy was entirely by himself. He clearly needed an extra set of hands at times and I offered to help, but he said no.

We had a long conversation and he told me that covid was financially devastating to the medical profession. It is very hard to find jobs upon completing residency. Between budget constraints and people either out for covid or just no interested in working in the ER they have much smaller staffs than they used to.

Dad was finally released at 5:00 a.m. (he fell around 7:30 p.m.). I got home at 5:30, took a 20 minute nap got up took a shower and went to work. I think we might have been better off just waiting until morning and going to see our family doctor. However I will say the DMC resident intern guy and all of the other medical professionals we encountered were excellent. but for the crazy wait, it would have been a great experience (as horrible experiences go).

Point is, I think they are all understaffed and all reeling form the financial and other impacts of the covid shut down. The excellent resident almost doctor guy said it is very hard for them to find jobs now. Few places are hiring.

It is virtually impossible to get them to admit they are understaffed, because to admit this would be devastating if they lost a patient due to being short handed. However you can figure it out from a series of evasive answers if you ask enough questions. they are not going to lie, but they will work hard to avoid saying they are short staffed even though it is obvious.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post

I’m so sorry to hear this. The Supreme Court ruling against Whitmer stemmed from 3 medical centers. They filed suit because some of their patients had severe problems from not being able to get proper medical care. What Whitmer felt was non essential care many doctors felt was essential. Even after people were able to get medical care so many had fears many were hesitant. Unfortunately some people are going to have long lasting health problems.
I hope you feel better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan