Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 07:43 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times

Advertisements

I am a medical professional. I will never understand why anyone, Cuomo, Whitmer, whoever, would have put people who were positive for covid in a facility with others who weren't, particularly the elderly who are the most susceptible.

I don't care if you're Democrat or Republican, this was an ignorant, despicable, and irresponsible thing to do. Trying to fudge the numbers to hide the death toll like Cuomo got caught doing is reprehensible and IF it turns out that Whitmer did the same thing then I hope that both of them are removed from office ASAP and punished accordingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 04:54 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Compare covid numbers in Florida and in Michigan from about August onward- the difference is amazing and very much in Michigan's favor. My Florida county has been unrestricted since then. We spent December and January with 20%+ positivity rates and local hospitals were having to ship ICU patients as far away as Texas and Tennessee in order to keep from being overrun.

Ohio and Indiana did not have strict restaurant lockdowns from November onward like Michigan, and yet those states did not have rampant covid numbers. I ate in a restaurant in Ohio in December, something I could not do in Michigan. And the world did not come to an end.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:30 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
Interesting. All the way to the Supreme Court, even.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mic...hitmer-lawsuit

Charlie identifies as a political Independent so it isn't a clearly partisan thing, apparently he just wants clarity in the reporting of death statistics.

Good for him. If they find nothing amiss, then good for Governor Whitmer. If they do find that some fudging has gone on, as it apparently did with Cuomo in New York, then it needs to be revealed and the appropriate measures taken.

Innocent until proven guilty, but if she is found guilty then we shouldn't have to worry about a second term.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:15 PM

495 posts, read 326,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
The reason we got hit early with deaths was because of the nursing homes. 40% of the deaths are from that. Whitmer placed the seniors back there with Covid. Only a few governors did that Imagine if your loved one was in a nursing home. I just read today she is getting sued for accurate data on the nursing home deaths

The deaths are based on per capita so regardless of population our state is doing worse then 40 states with overall Covid deaths. I could be wrong but that is what I thought I read.

Everyone has the right to their opinion. So I understand some may feel different. I just feel a lot of mistakes have been made and continue to be made

For example why won’t she give the data and science or metrics she uses to determine her opening and closings?
My loved one was in a nursing home a few years ago, and I spenta lot of time there visiting. That's why I know what an impossible situation it was. I think most people don't have a clue what the realities are for nursing home patients. A huge chunk of them have dementia, which is really exacerbated by unfamiliar settings. My mom literally went nuts sundowning every time she was in the hospital more than a couple days. The sleepy floor of the hospital my mom was at was not equipped to deal with sub 5ft octogenarian. No way they could have dealt with multiples of her while scrambling to keep covid patients alive, short-staffed and exhausted.

Wanna know the real reason Michigan got hit so hard so early? Two of the big 3 auto companies in Detroit have car plants in Wuhan China!

Old 03-02-2021, 07:21 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
March 2, 2021 covid number for comparison-

Michigan- 10 million people
1067 new cases
24 deaths
3.65% 7 day positivity rate

Florida- 22.2 million people
7074 new cases
290 deaths
5.69% daily positivity rate

So Heckava Job Ronnie is running a state with a 10x higher death rate now than Michigan. Remind me why we're supposed to think that's good?

Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
Quote:

1067 new cases
24 deaths

7074 new cases
290 deaths

So Heckava Job Ronnie is running a state with a 10x higher death rate now than Michigan. Remind me why we're supposed to think that's good?

It’s overall numbers that is important not a few days or a month. The fact is in the last year till today MI had more Covid deaths then FL per capita. We had more then most states

Old 03-02-2021, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan lizard View Post
My loved one was in a nursing home a few years ago, and I spenta lot of time there visiting. That's why I know what an impossible situation it was. I think most people don't have a clue what the realities are for nursing home patients. A huge chunk of them have dementia, which is really exacerbated by unfamiliar settings. My mom literally went nuts sundowning every time she was in the hospital more than a couple days. The sleepy floor of the hospital my mom was at was not equipped to deal with sub 5ft octogenarian. No way they could have dealt with multiples of her while scrambling to keep covid patients alive, short-staffed and exhausted.

Wanna know the real reason Michigan got hit so hard so early? Two of the big 3 auto companies in Detroit have car plants in Wuhan China!

46 states didn’t place Covid sick patients back in the nursing homes. Some how those states figured out how to move and keep the patients safe
The auto plant was closed for 2 months at the start.

Old 03-02-2021, 09:30 PM

495 posts, read 326,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
46 states didn’t place Covid sick patients back in the nursing homes. Some how those states figured out how to move and keep the patients safe
The auto plant was closed for 2 months at the start.
They did. You just didn't hear anything it.
And its not the auto workers that fly back and forth. Its the higher-ups that fly back from China as most of the country's airports are shut down to international travel. Detroit was one of the few that weren't. Shortly thereafter, the east side was one of the major hotspots in the country.

Old 03-03-2021, 10:40 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,045 times
Quote:

1067 new cases
24 deaths

7074 new cases
290 deaths

How many TOTAL covid deaths have been reported in Michigan?

Old 03-03-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
How many TOTAL covid deaths have been reported in Michigan?
MI has 16,559 Covid deaths for population of 10 million
FL has 31,270 Covid deaths for population of 22 million. In season I’m assuming the population is higher
Florida has more then double our population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan