Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 09:07 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Do the Spanish refer to these white Mexicans as "Latinos". I here that the term Latino in Spain is reserved for Latin Americans of indigenous blood only. Argentines and the Spanish themselves are not consider "Latino" in Europe is what I understand, which is different from what we consider "Latino" in the US.
Well I was there almost 10 years ago (wow I am feeling old )

I don't know if things have changed, but no one used that term Latino back then.

They referred to everyone by their nationality/heritage (if you are born to Mexican parents, you are Mexican, no matter where you were born) or as sudamericanos. Many people thought Mexico was in South America. People always asked if I was Colombian or Ecuadorian since they have alot of lower-income immigrants from those countries. They don't really know too much about Mexico, except the older people who adore Cantinflas and older Mexican movies.

They have a very positive view of Mexicans, again, because they mostly meet Middle and Upper Class Mexicans who have traveled there to study, vacation, or live with family. Taxi drivers, people on trains, etc...would continuously tell me that they really liked Mexicans because we are very pleasant with manners. I never experienced anything negative there.

Most of the Mexicans I befriended were White Mexicans who had Spanish grandparents, parents, etc...It was a recurring theme traveling around Spain. I thought that was interesting. Luckily they were all very cool down to earth people so I enjoyed meeting them and learning more about Mexicans of more recent Spanish descent.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Well I was there almost 10 years ago (wow I am feeling old )

I don't know if things have changed, but no one used that term Latino back then.

They referred to everyone by their nationality/heritage (if you are born to Mexican parents, you are Mexican, no matter where you were born) or as sudamericanos. Many people thought Mexico was in South America. People always asked if I was Colombian or Ecuadorian since they have alot of lower-income immigrants from those countries. They don't really know too much about Mexico, except the older people who adore Cantinflas and older Mexican movies.

They have a very positive view of Mexicans, again, because they mostly meet Middle and Upper Class Mexicans who have traveled there to study, vacation, or live with family. Taxi drivers, people on trains, etc...would continuously tell me that they really liked Mexicans because we are very pleasant with manners. I never experienced anything negative there.

Most of the Mexicans I befriended were White Mexicans who had Spanish grandparents, parents, etc...It was a recurring theme traveling around Spain. I thought that was interesting. Luckily they were all very cool down to earth people so I enjoyed meeting them and learning more about Mexicans of more recent Spanish descent.
Maybe that's why most of my educated cousins (that live in Mexico) want to move to Europe, countries like Canada/Australia, and are not really interested in the U.S.? Lots of Mexicans are hyper aware of the negative images that Americans have of Mexicans in the U.S. and they rather just not deal with them. Whereas they've had very positive experiences traveling through Europe, and some studying English in Canada. In addition the cost of studying at a university in the U.S. is rather prohibitive, unless you are uber rich, and complicated. A cousin of mine wanted to study in L.A. for a couple months, to learn English, before she enrolled in a masters program, but after doing research, the costs don't add up...so she went to Canada instead. -_-

Old 10-10-2014, 08:17 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Maybe that's why most of my educated cousins (that live in Mexico) want to move to Europe, countries like Canada/Australia, and are not really interested in the U.S.? Lots of Mexicans are hyper aware of the negative images that Americans have of Mexicans in the U.S. and they rather just not deal with them. Whereas they've had very positive experiences traveling through Europe, and some studying English in Canada. In addition the cost of studying at a university in the U.S. is rather prohibitive, unless you are uber rich, and complicated. A cousin of mine wanted to study in L.A. for a couple months, to learn English, before she enrolled in a masters program, but after doing research, the costs don't add up...so she went to Canada instead. -_-
I'm not sure, but it is true that the comfy Mexican classes tend to lean more towards Europe, Canada, even Australia.

I have cousins who moved to the Netherlands and Swtizerland years ago.

My best friend (Sinaloa) also has alot of relatives living in Europe.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Do the Spanish refer to these white Mexicans as "Latinos". I here that the term Latino in Spain is reserved for Latin Americans of indigenous blood only. Argentines and the Spanish themselves are not consider "Latino" in Europe is what I understand, which is different from what we consider "Latino" in the US.
I have been to Spain many times, and recently too, and can assure you they see Argentines as Latino. They are actually not fond of Argentines at all, and not because they are Latino. Of course, Kirchner has caused much, but not all, of this (nationalization of Spanish utilities, etc.)

FWIW, I love Spain and would love for it to be my second home someday.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:05 AM

101 posts, read 204,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1b2 View Post
Are almost all of them part Spanish? I know a lot have Aztec in them, who were living in Mexico before the Spanish. Are a lot of Mexicans part black?

When I see a Mexican, I just consider them Mexican, nothing in particular like Spanish or Aztec or anything.
Afro Mexicans or Black Mexicans are rare. They are less than 1% of the Mexican populataion. In the United States Afro Mexicans or Blaxicans or Afro American/Mexicans are 0.9% of the Mexican American population.

80% of the Mexican population is Mestizo out of 120 Million people
9 to 11% are White European and half of them have some mixture of Amerindian and are not pure European.
About 7% are Full Amerindian
1% are Asian Mexicans.
1% are Other. So mixed even they don't know what they are. LOL

Old 11-03-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
There's a study that shows that a typical mexican has the following admixture:

35% white
60% amerindian
5% black.

im sure that less than 1% of mexicans have azteca blood
Mexicans would have tons more Aztec blood then Black. Less than 5% have African ancestry not every Mexican has African ancestry.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xS☺Be View Post
A lot of Americans say "Aztecs" but actually mean "MesoAmerican". The actual Aztecs were essentially one city in a whole subcontinent of various nations. There were millions of people who lived in big bustling cities that existed for thousands of years. The Aztec Empire didn't even start until 1248, yet there were whole societies that rose and fell thousands of years before. When the Aztecs discover Teotihucan, Teo had been already abandoned for hundreds of years. It was already and archeological site long before Columbus sailed. And Teo existed foe nearly a millennia as the largest city in MesoAmerican history where millions of people live laughed loved and died. And that's really only two examples. Add the Mayans, Tikal, the Olmecs, Mount Alban, el Mirador, calakal, etc etc. you have a whole equivalent of European continental history. So the "Aztecs" per se might be like saying the "Germans" or the "Russians". In MesoAmerica there were as many different nations and cultures as Europe, and like Europe the changed names and languages over time.

The Cherokee by the way do indeed has European not Asian origin. That has been recently proven via DNA.
First off most Amerindians were related and DNA is similar to one another. To say that the Cherokee do not have Amerindian ancestry is ridiculous they are not 100% white. The claim thous is not that they are European but that they are from the Middle East which is where Jews are from and if you remember that Spain had a Sephardic Jew population and that the Spanish mixed with Amerindians in a large scale.

The laboratory immediately stumbled into a scientific hornet’s nest. That Cherokee princess in someone’s genealogy was most likely a Jewish or North African princess. Its scientists have labeled the Cherokees not as Native Americans, but as a Middle Eastern-North African population. Cherokees have high levels of test markers associated with the Berbers, native Egyptians, Turks, Lebanese, Hebrews and Mesopotamians. Genetically, they are more Jewish than the typical American Jew of European ancestry. So-called “full-blooded” Cherokees have high levels of European DNA and a trace of Asiatic (Native American) DNA. Their skin color and facial features are primarily Semitic in origin, not Native American. Outraged Cherokees can read the reports at: Anomalous Mitochondrial DNA Lineages in the Cherokee

There is a major inaccuracy in most articles about this controversy. Both DNA Consultants and journalists are stating that the research results from the Qualla Reservation apply to all Cherokees. Genetic research associated with the filming of the History Channel’s “America Unearthed” found separate populations of Cherokees outside the reservation with very different genetic profiles. In several counties, the “Cherokees” had profiles identical to Georgia Creeks, and often carried Maya DNA like the Georgia Creeks. In one county, the “Cherokees” were predominantly Quechua from South America, or else mixed Quechua, Maya and Creek. Many of the residents of the Snowbird Cherokee Reservation in Graham County, NC look like the Zoque of Mexico, who created the Olmec Civilization. They are called “Moon Faces” by the Cherokees on the main reservation.

At present, the researchers at DNA Consultants seem unaware that throughout the 1600s Iberian Sephardic Jews and Moorish Conversos colonized the North Carolina and Georgia Mountains, where they mined and worked gold and silver. All European maps show western North Carolina occupied by Apalache, Creek, Shawnee and Yuchi Indians until 1718. Most of these indigenous tribal groups were forced out in the early 1700s. Anglo-American settlers moving into northeastern Tennessee and extreme southwestern Virginia mentioned seeing Jewish speaking villages in that region until around 1800.

DNA scientists claim that Cherokees are from the Middle East - National Native American History | Examiner.com

Old 11-03-2014, 12:01 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,119,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMexicano View Post
First off most Amerindians were related and DNA is similar to one another. To say that the Cherokee do not have Amerindian ancestry is ridiculous they are not 100% white. The claim thous is not that they are European but that they are from the Middle East which is where Jews are from and if you remember that Spain had a Sephardic Jew population and that the Spanish mixed with Amerindians in a large scale.

The laboratory immediately stumbled into a scientific hornet’s nest. That Cherokee princess in someone’s genealogy was most likely a Jewish or North African princess. Its scientists have labeled the Cherokees not as Native Americans, but as a Middle Eastern-North African population. Cherokees have high levels of test markers associated with the Berbers, native Egyptians, Turks, Lebanese, Hebrews and Mesopotamians. Genetically, they are more Jewish than the typical American Jew of European ancestry. So-called “full-blooded” Cherokees have high levels of European DNA and a trace of Asiatic (Native American) DNA. Their skin color and facial features are primarily Semitic in origin, not Native American. Outraged Cherokees can read the reports at: Anomalous Mitochondrial DNA Lineages in the Cherokee

There is a major inaccuracy in most articles about this controversy. Both DNA Consultants and journalists are stating that the research results from the Qualla Reservation apply to all Cherokees. Genetic research associated with the filming of the History Channel’s “America Unearthed” found separate populations of Cherokees outside the reservation with very different genetic profiles. In several counties, the “Cherokees” had profiles identical to Georgia Creeks, and often carried Maya DNA like the Georgia Creeks. In one county, the “Cherokees” were predominantly Quechua from South America, or else mixed Quechua, Maya and Creek. Many of the residents of the Snowbird Cherokee Reservation in Graham County, NC look like the Zoque of Mexico, who created the Olmec Civilization. They are called “Moon Faces” by the Cherokees on the main reservation.

At present, the researchers at DNA Consultants seem unaware that throughout the 1600s Iberian Sephardic Jews and Moorish Conversos colonized the North Carolina and Georgia Mountains, where they mined and worked gold and silver. All European maps show western North Carolina occupied by Apalache, Creek, Shawnee and Yuchi Indians until 1718. Most of these indigenous tribal groups were forced out in the early 1700s. Anglo-American settlers moving into northeastern Tennessee and extreme southwestern Virginia mentioned seeing Jewish speaking villages in that region until around 1800.

DNA scientists claim that Cherokees are from the Middle East - National Native American History | Examiner.com
I have seen this thoroughly debunked. Iit is considered pseudo-science and not taken seriously by mainstream science. I believe it is part of a Glen Beck/Mormon agenda, if I remember correctly.

Found this...

Native American DNA DEBUNKS Ancient Hebrew Migrations and the Book of Mormon! - YouTube

If you watch this video, they debunk it at 6:30 on.

Basically, most groups claiming to be "Cherokee" are actually white people committing fraud for financial or prestige reasons.

They take a long digression but get back to DNA at 25 minutes.

Last edited by cachibatches; 11-03-2014 at 12:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2014, 04:38 PM

59 posts, read 130,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMexicano View Post
Afro Mexicans or Black Mexicans are rare. They are less than 1% of the Mexican populataion. In the United States Afro Mexicans or Blaxicans or Afro American/Mexicans are 0.9% of the Mexican American population.

80% of the Mexican population is Mestizo out of 120 Million people
9 to 11% are White European and half of them have some mixture of Amerindian and are not pure European.
About 7% are Full Amerindian
1% are Asian Mexicans.
1% are Other. So mixed even they don't know what they are. LOL
I Beg to disagree here, as an european who has been to mexico quite a few times (really enjoyed the country btw ) I believe that in no way 9-11% of mexicans are "white" as being of fully european ancestry

I'd estimate:

5% of mexicans looks white/European, but only 1-2% are fully european in terms of ancestry
about 40% of mexicans are either fully amerindian or are overwhelmingly of native ancestry, you can see it in their physical appearance.
50-55% of mexicans are mixed/mestizo, they have both european and native mixture of features.

1-2% of mexicans are either of asian or african ancestry.

Old 11-07-2014, 11:44 AM

836 posts, read 2,948,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBlue View Post
I Beg to disagree here, as an european who has been to mexico quite a few times (really enjoyed the country btw ) I believe that in no way 9-11% of mexicans are "white" as being of fully european ancestry

I'd estimate:

5% of mexicans looks white/European, but only 1-2% are fully european in terms of ancestry
about 40% of mexicans are either fully amerindian or are overwhelmingly of native ancestry, you can see it in their physical appearance.
50-55% of mexicans are mixed/mestizo, they have both european and native mixture of features.

1-2% of mexicans are either of asian or african ancestry.
And you come to that conclusion just watching people in your visits to Mexico as a tourist? wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.