Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 12:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,472 times

Advertisements

Does Mexico have their version of African-Americans or people of African Ancestry nonexistent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 01:59 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,132,790 times
Yes, there are plenty of descendants of African slaves in Mexico, though not so many as in the United States. They tend to be integrated within the general Mexican population from what I've seen, rather than largely segregated (and possessing a parallel culture) as they are in the United States.

I found this interesting map on Wikipedia a while ago that might be of interest to you:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eMapMexico.jpg

Old 03-30-2012, 06:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Martel View Post
Does Mexico have their version of African-Americans or people of African Ancestry nonexistent?
There is "some" African ancestry mixed in with mestizo racial groups. This varies from area to area with most having little to none. There really are no Afro-Mexicanos like you would find Afro-cubaos, etc. So you won't ever see a "black" Mexican.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:00 AM

275 posts, read 978,829 times
Officialy Mexicans have and admixture of around 2-5% of black ancestry. In Costa Chica, (coast of Oaxaca at southwestern Mexico) they have around 60% of black admixture.

"Black Mexicans" are zambos. A mixture of black-native american.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post
Officialy Mexicans have and admixture of around 2-5% of black ancestry. In Costa Chica, (coast of Oaxaca at southwestern Mexico) they have around 60% of black admixture.

Do you have a source for that? I am not saying that it isn't true. I would just like to see it. Those numbers are pretty far off from what I have seen in the past.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:44 AM

1 posts, read 5,602 times
We have very limited experience, but noted in a three week visit to Ajijic/Chapala 5 years ago that during that time we only saw one Black couple.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
The Spaniards brought in hundreds of thousands of slaves and the Indian population died off from small pox and other European-African diseases until race mixing gave descendents of the Indians some immunity. The African slaves never left Mexico, mostly their descendents are part of the Mestizo populations but you can see more of the phenotype along the coasts where the African portion of the Mestizo is greater. The popular Mexican soup called menudo was brought in by the slaves.

The descendents of the slaves don't have the same parallel culture as in the USA, slavery ended in Mexico 50 years before it ended in the USA and the mixing and blending into the Mestizo population has mostly eliminated the notion of a separate race.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Martel View Post
I've heard there are small groups of people of African descent in the coastal regions of Mexico. However, I'm not sure how mixed they are, some do look like the U.S. Africans as they have appeared in Mexican soap operas though I wouldn't know if they were originally from Mexico or Cuba. Some exiled Cubans have mistakenly sailed into Mexico instead of the U.S.

Also, I do know that there are around 1,000 Haitians in Mexico. After the great earthquake that destroyed Haiti, the Mexican government allowed Haitian students who were attending Mexican universities to bring over some of their family members or they allowed Haitians who could prove they had family in Mexico to enter the country.

In fact here's a video about it on youtube: it's in Spanish though:

250 haitianos llegaron al Puerto de Veracruz - YouTube

Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM

155 posts, read 360,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanluisito View Post

TRUE. Afromexicans do exist. They live in Oaxaca and Veracruz.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:36 PM

155 posts, read 360,665 times

We have Mexican heroes that had African blood. (Like Vicente Guerrero).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico