Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 10:38 AM

5,118 posts, read 2,680,626 times

Advertisements

Wow, that's a tragic and sad story. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2021, 10:52 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
My father drowned a few years ago. He was fishing, stopped on an island to clean some fish for dinner and the boat started drifting away (with life jackets in it). He thought he'd just swim out to get it--he didn't think it was a tough swim (his fishing buddy was with him). He wore himself out trying to get to the boat as it drifted, then couldn't get back to shore. Classic example of a freak incident where he thought he'd be fine and wasn't.

The drowning stories really hit me hard, so I thought maybe I was just sensitive to noticing just how many drowning stories have been in the news this year. It does seems like a very high number. I feel awful for the families no matter how it happens--kids who can't swim end up in water over their heads, swimmers who are confident they can do something and then...can't, or swimmers who just get pulled into a current. Swimming lessons cost money and not everybody can pay for them. It's all just very sad.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine. The first 3 drownings of the season kind of caught my eye but it just seems like there's been a lot..more than normal as far as I can see.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:06 AM

23,619 posts, read 18,749,452 times
Sorry for your loss, Newfiemama.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:20 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine. The first 3 drownings of the season kind of caught my eye but it just seems like there's been a lot..more than normal as far as I can see.
I honestly think it's simply a statistical blip as society returns to some normalcy, though I don't want this statement to minimize the obvious sense of loss for the families impacted.

It wasn't long ago that some on here/Reddit were convinced there was a Boston serial killer drowning young men, when in it reality it was a collection of individual accidents related to Boston being a coastal city with no shortage of drunk and disoriented students/transplants. Drownings are, unfortunately, rather common place in areas of high population and water access.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:56 AM

16,430 posts, read 8,233,962 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I honestly think it's simply a statistical blip as society returns to some normalcy, though I don't want this statement to minimize the obvious sense of loss for the families impacted.

It wasn't long ago that some on here/Reddit were convinced there was a Boston serial killer drowning young men, when in it reality it was a collection of individual accidents related to Boston being a coastal city with no shortage of drunk and disoriented students/transplants. Drownings are, unfortunately, rather common place in areas of high population and water access.
Oh i remember when people thought there was a serial killer for those men as well: https://www.oxygen.com/smiley-face-k...-face-graffiti

What is weird is that the drowning victims here have also all been men.

Old 06-07-2021, 12:18 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,146,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Oh i remember when people thought there was a serial killer for those men as well: https://www.oxygen.com/smiley-face-k...-face-graffiti

What is weird is that the drowning victims here have also all been men.
Not that weird when you observe the risk tolerance of young men verse young woman ... particularly in the context of drinking.

At minimum, a greater percentage of young woman travel in groups for safety reasons meaning they’re far more likely to have more sober peers steering them clear of docks and/or able to aid or find assistance if a body does hit the water. That might be as simple as directing the person in the water to the nearest access ladder.

Majority, if not all, of those victims were traveling solo when they drowned. Not surprising since men are far less likely to be victims of rape/assault and therefor more likely to walk home from a bar/party alone. Alcohol, cold water, water saturated cloths, and jarring disorientation can easily sink and otherwise mentally and physically fit individual. Very unfortunate when it happens and unfortunately it happens often in coastal/port cities like Boston.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:15 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,455,012 times
Newfie, my condolences. That's so hard.

So many drownings can be tied to a momentary lapse in judgement that on the surface seems fairly minor - swims out a little too far, drinks a little too much, just a little too tired, water a little too cold or a weather a little too windy - and they can have such horrific consequences. Even if we learned to swim when we were kids, most of us don't keep it up and aren't conditioned to much beyond a few laps in the pool, much less open water. I'd consider my swim lessons from when I was 10-12 fairly negligible in my ability to survive now.

About a decade ago, I was studying abroad in Mexico and a few of us spent a few days at the beach to try to unwind. One of those "banana boat" floaties pulled behind a speed boat offered to take us out for a few bucks, and against our better judgement, we agreed (oh, to be 21 and dumb as a box of frogs). I don't exactly remember how many women were on the raft - maybe 10 of us? We were wearing life vests, but went out fairly deep away from shore. Part of the schtick is that they try to knock you from the raft. We all fell out, but me and another girl got knocked to the other side and seemed to get stuck in a current or pushing against the wind. Either way, all the other girls were back on the float long before we even reached it, and I remember my arms being so tired that I couldn't pull myself back up. The combination of sun, not enough sleep, and probably a bit of dehydration didn't help. Neither of us was able to pull ourselves back on and I remember bursting into tears because it was so frustrating and scary. The guys on the boat had to pull us on, and I refused to get back on the float just in case. I considered myself a fairly strong swimmer up until that point, even having taught swim at summer camp the previous summer, but since then have never gone swimming any deeper than waist height. If I want to submerge in the ocean, I just sink down to my knees.

It was such a lifechanging experience for me, and I was never even in any danger. Unfortunately, that experience is something many don't have a way out of.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:47 AM

779 posts, read 878,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
About a decade ago, I was studying abroad in Mexico and a few of us spent a few days at the beach to try to unwind. One of those "banana boat" floaties pulled behind a speed boat offered to take us out for a few bucks, and against our better judgement, we agreed (oh, to be 21 and dumb as a box of frogs). I don't exactly remember how many women were on the raft - maybe 10 of us? We were wearing life vests, but went out fairly deep away from shore. Part of the schtick is that they try to knock you from the raft. We all fell out, but me and another girl got knocked to the other side and seemed to get stuck in a current or pushing against the wind. Either way, all the other girls were back on the float long before we even reached it, and I remember my arms being so tired that I couldn't pull myself back up. The combination of sun, not enough sleep, and probably a bit of dehydration didn't help. Neither of us was able to pull ourselves back on and I remember bursting into tears because it was so frustrating and scary. The guys on the boat had to pull us on, and I refused to get back on the float just in case. I considered myself a fairly strong swimmer up until that point, even having taught swim at summer camp the previous summer, but since then have never gone swimming any deeper than waist height. If I want to submerge in the ocean, I just sink down to my knees. (
Yes, this is exactly the kind of situation I think people find themselves in. Just having fun, slight lapse of judgment, then suddenly you're in trouble. I'm obviously very glad you were ok, but I can see how this would happen easily.

Old 06-08-2021, 07:53 AM

1,056 posts, read 1,417,267 times
From Boston Herald website:

Massachusetts drownings: Water safety advocate warns of surge this summer, begs parents to pay attention

A surge of drownings is likely this summer, a water safety advocate told the Herald on Monday while begging parents and guardians to pay attention as at least nine people have drowned across Massachusetts in just the last three weeks.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2021/06...pay-attention/

Old 06-14-2021, 07:07 AM

84 posts, read 77,242 times
Default Now a 10 year old girl in Methuen

https://apnews.com/article/ri-state-...800365795c8076
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts