Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:42 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Yeah is the same thing with ice skating or ice sports in general. You don't see that many black playing hockey, why? They don't care. Can they do whatever they want?
Well I think there are more black people playing hockey these days. It's definitely a white male dominated sport but more girls are playing along with kids of color. Hockey is also expensive. I think any kid who plays hockey it's initially because the parents want them to play.

Also skating is a good skill to have but it's generally not going to save your life. Knowing how to swim can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 11:43 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It's sad but I hope these recent drownings are awakening to people. I mean anyone living in Massachusetts is near the freaking ocean! I'd say swimming lessons are a must if you live i. Coastal area.
In Japan most people can't swim and the entire nation is a collection of island.

According to NBC the 6th best place in the US to swim is Fort Collins. I don't think proximity to the sea is that important

Old 07-02-2021, 11:45 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
I thought if you lived in Boston the ymca is basically free

I'm starting to get pissed off with the way people are thinking here though. It is someone's own responsibility to learn a basic skill like swimming. If you choose not to do it then stay the hell out of the water and don't blame someone else because people chose not to learn how to swim.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:51 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Well, here it is. Free swimming lessons after this rash of tragedies.

https://whdh.com/news/mass-offering-...kwVFY8v86YAs2s

Old 07-02-2021, 11:54 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
You don't need a swimming pool to learn how to swim if you care. It's just something they don't care about, if they cared they would have started bringing their children to the pool. Or they would do it now.
That's a pretty bold sweeping generalization, no? The median income for a black family in Boston is around $41k. It's tough to swing swim lessons for a kid a $200 each per session at or below that income bracket in Boston no matter how much you care.

I don't disagree that people are taking unnecessary risks, but it shouldn't be hard to have empathy.
  • For starters, most of the people dying are kids. They have to be taught the risks, and if the people around these kids don't know the risks then how can we expect the kids to learn? They may know not to go in water that's over their heads, but do they know that rip currents, undertows, uneven pond/lake bottoms, etc. can put you at risk even in knee-waist deep water?
  • And even if there are instances where they do know it's risky, is there a single person on CD or elsewhere that can say they never took risks as a kid/teen? It's pretty easy to be empathetic knowing that I've also taken risks and emerged alright when it could have ended worse.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:59 AM

12,819 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I thought if you lived in Boston the ymca is basically free

I'm starting to get pissed off with the way people are thinking here though. It is someone's own responsibility to learn a basic skill like swimming. If you choose not to do it then stay the hell out of the water and don't blame someone else because people chose not to learn how to swim.
Who else has been blamed by anyone here?

Old 07-02-2021, 12:01 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
That's a pretty bold sweeping generalization, no? The median income for a black family in Boston is around $41k. It's tough to swing swim lessons for a kid a $200 each per session at or below that income bracket in Boston no matter how much you care.

I don't disagree that people are taking unnecessary risks, but it shouldn't be hard to have empathy.
  • For starters, most of the people dying are kids. They have to be taught the risks, and if the people around these kids don't know the risks then how can we expect the kids to learn? They may know not to go in water that's over their heads, but do they know that rip currents, undertows, uneven pond/lake bottoms, etc. can put you at risk even in knee-waist deep water?
  • And even if there are instances where they do know it's risky, is there a single person on CD or elsewhere that can say they never took risks as a kid/teen? It's pretty easy to be empathetic knowing that I've also taken risks and emerged alright when it could have ended worse.

Well said.

In addition, along with the cost of the lessons is the time and ability to get to and from them. We suburbanites take for granted we can jump in the car and go.

This loss of life is tragic.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:04 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Who else has been blamed by anyone here?
Some people equate reasons and explanations for things in society as placing blame. Its really weird.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:10 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
In Japan most people can't swim and the entire nation is a collection of island.
Most Japanese folk just don't have access to a pool. Space constraints mean very few homes have pools and their short summer season (like here in MA) means not a lot of time to swim.

Goes back to access like many have said here. In order to be a proficient swimmer, one needs regular access to actually practice said skills. You'll have varying levels of access through the various demographics.

Old 07-02-2021, 12:50 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,339,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Most Japanese folk just don't have access to a pool. Space constraints mean very few homes have pools and their short summer season (like here in MA) means not a lot of time to swim.

Goes back to access like many have said here. In order to be a proficient swimmer, one needs regular access to actually practice said skills. You'll have varying levels of access through the various demographics.
People swam 2500 years ago when pools weren't really a thing though. When I was a kid most of my swimming was done in shallow irrigation canals.

In some cultures swimming isn't a big thing, in others it is. That's a part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts