Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 03:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 8,990,230 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt expect an 18 year old to not drink at a party if there was alcohol there. I am surprised that someone of that age would drown in a pool. It seems odd to me that someone would be that bad of a swimmer to drown in a pool and that no one noticed them drowning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 03:58 PM

5,243 posts, read 2,834,422 times
I would expect anything when irresponsible use of alcohol is present, especially among young people. Booze isn't exactly the foundation of good decisions, and if someone had had too much of it I could easily see them drowning, good swimmer or not.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:18 PM

23,975 posts, read 19,290,741 times
And the fact that as he drowned himself (even if he was the only one there who hadn't drank alcohol like they are claiming), NOBODY intervened to help. You cannot say this would have happened in a crowded backyard pool, were the majority not all drinking. Had the host used better judgement and not provided alcohol, this kid would likely be alive today. He bears full responsibility.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:19 PM

17,440 posts, read 8,990,230 times
It's not but I have heard view cases of drunk drowning to be honest. I knew someone who jumped into a pool and hit their head drunk and they died from that.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:28 PM

Alcohol is involved in many drownings. The fact that it is a CNS depressant doesn't make this a surprise.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,988,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Alcohol is involved in many drownings. The fact that it is a CNS depressant doesn't make this a surprise.
Certainly if you expand “involved” to include that alcohol was being consumed by anyone in the general vicinity at any point.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Certainly if you expand “involved” to include that alcohol was being consumed by anyone in the general vicinity at any point.
No, I was not expanding to that.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 22,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I wouldnt expect an 18 year old to not drink at a party if there was alcohol there. I am surprised that someone of that age would drown in a pool. It seems odd to me that someone would be that bad of a swimmer to drown in a pool and that no one noticed them drowning.
A lot of reasons it can happen - even to good swimmers. Disorientation under water (booze and darkness increase the odds of this) can happen to any of us, head or bodily injury from impact with the bottom, clothing caught on drain or other object, accidentally hit/kicked in the head by someone else if it's crowded, going under and having an obstacle above you preventing you from surfacing (other people, pool cover, heavier floats), etc.

The fact that nobody noticed (at least not quickly enough) isn't really that surprising at all. It happens quite a bit, even in broad daylight with lifeguards on duty and a bunch of sober people in and around the pool. Light reflections (or the darkness) can make it hard to see someone at the bottom of a pool, even if you're looking right at the spot where they are. If he was in the pool with a dozen other drunk people at night, it's pretty likely that he could easily slip under without anyone noticing before it's way too late. If the water was at all cloudy, that can make a difference too - remember the woman who drowned at the public pool in Fall River and was under water for 3 days, while the pool was open, before she was discovered (and she was only discovered at night by people who broke in late at night and her body had floated to the surface)? Our lifeguard tests involved watching security footage of multiple events just like this - people literally drowning in front of dozens of people. It's actually pretty scary how common it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Had the host used better judgement and not provided alcohol, this kid would likely be alive today. He bears full responsibility.
Of course. I went to a wedding reception at a private residence last month and they had the pool gate locked with a sign that said "Alcohol and swimming don't mix!" - and this wasn't a bunch of high school kids. People generally know better. What's the saying, "play stupid games..."?

Old 07-29-2021, 06:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,833,092 times
Many professionals work overtime without being paid extra.
There should be NO overtime payment for government employees. The base salary and merit based bonus can raise accordingly.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:47 AM

Thankfully labor laws weren't designed on such a simple-minded analysis. Same goes for budgeting public services.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 07-30-2021 at 04:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts