Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 12:49 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,387,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
18 is when people are considered an adult and one wouldn't think they'd be drowning in a swimming pool.
There are plenty of countries where there is no minimum drinking age, so having beer at a party with 15 years old wouldn't be a crime. But we are in the US and it's a crime up to 21, the fact that they were almost 18 is completely irrelevant.

I doubt anyone is asking for the guy to spend the rest of his life in jail, but if there is a law you have to apply it. If you don't like it change the law for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 12:54 PM

17,489 posts, read 9,188,794 times
People just always want to blame someone else for something. You forced my kid to go to a party where there was alcohol and he drowned. Yeah didn't really happen that way.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:55 PM

13,189 posts, read 22,459,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
There are plenty of countries where there is no minimum drinking age, so having beer at a party with 15 years old wouldn't be a crime. But we are in the US and it's a crime up to 21, the fact that they were almost 18 is completely irrelevant.

I doubt anyone is asking for the guy to spend the rest of his life in jail, but if there is a law you have to apply it. If you don't like it change the law for everyone.
Curious to see what happens. Most instances end up with a fine, but the more serious the incident is (i.e. involving serious injury/death), the higher the likelihood of jail time. The max sentence for something like this is pretty short (I forget exactly how short) but again, most people never see a cell. It's the civil suit that's going to be the much, much bigger problem for this guy.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:20 PM

24,015 posts, read 19,443,444 times
Quote:
People just always want to blame someone else for something. You forced my kid to go to a party where there was alcohol and he drowned. Yeah didn't really happen that way.
Of course people just always want to blame somebody. But you provide alcohol to a bunch of underage kids (despite your opinion that an almost 18-year-old "should have known better")...good luck to you. If you have a few beers, go out for a drive and a kid runs out in front of you and you kill him, sure he did it to himself but you are seriously F'd if you are OUI. If you hadn't drank, it would likely be ruled an accident and you would walk free.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:14 PM

I meant most 18 year olds know how to swim drunk or sober

Old 07-22-2021, 02:34 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,387,528 times
Do you often see drunk 18-years-old swimming? Should we start to get concerned?

Old 07-22-2021, 03:03 PM

13,189 posts, read 22,459,563 times
Quote:
I meant most 18 year olds know how to swim drunk or sober
He’s dead, so it’s fair to say that he’s faced consequences for his decisions and then some. The worst case scenario for the homeowner is a $2k fine and/or up to a year in prison for breaking a law he clearly knew about and chose to violate anyway. So he’s facing the consequences of HIS actions and they are far less severe than what the kid who drowned was dealt. I’m not sure how anyone could have a problem with charges against this guy considering the circumstances.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:17 PM

Well I'm sure he's pretty embarrassed as well. There's a lot of shame of having someone drown in your pool too.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:33 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,881,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
^ the functional differenc is one is a major and visible deterrent one is much much less so.
Not really. When a public official is criminally charged it's generally quite visible without an arrest. I dont even see any evidence in your example from Baltimore where that police officer was actually "arrested." She was criminally charged and her charges made the newspapers, no different than what happens here and no different than the way most low-level white collar criminals are handled. Of course Baltimore is much more notorious than Boston when it comes to police corruption.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:50 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,881,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Of course people just always want to blame somebody. But you provide alcohol to a bunch of underage kids (despite your opinion that an almost 18-year-old "should have known better")...good luck to you. If you have a few beers, go out for a drive and a kid runs out in front of you and you kill him, sure he did it to himself but you are seriously F'd if you are OUI. If you hadn't drank, it would likely be ruled an accident and you would walk free.
18 year olds these days don't "know better" about anything. I would equate their mentality (generally) to those of middle school kids when I was growing up. I don't really understand how any parent in their right mind could sanction this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts