Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 01:49 PM

17,489 posts, read 9,188,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
Why though? A lot of people don't have paid overtime. If you compensate enough what's the deal with not paying overtime?
Being a cop isn't like any other job. I've already mentioned many of the reasons above...in most salaried jobs you dont work the evening/night shift or are expected to keep on working when your co worker calls out. Most jobs dont have to work holidays and weekends. Most jobs your life is not at risk any time you pull someone over or go to a domestic call. Most people who have a salaried position at any company in Boston or Cambridge have it pretty good. Why shouldnt cops have perks at their jobs? Why should a director of business development at a gaming or dog chew toy company be paid at least 150k a year plus a bonus, probably goes on company paid trips, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me that people think it's no big deal what SOME people get paid and think cops should just suffer or be poor. Plenty of people make more money than they should (hedge fund workers come to mind) and no one bats an eyelash, but want cops stripped of OT because of tax dollars.

I really don't see it happening in my life time (and i'm not that old)...but keep wishing, hoping for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 02:18 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,837,633 times
Looks like the fraud, grift and graft knows no bounds over at BPD. Even the mechanics can't keep their noses clean.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:22 PM

2,285 posts, read 1,387,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Being a cop isn't like any other job. I've already mentioned many of the reasons above...in most salaried jobs you dont work the evening/night shift or are expected to keep on working when your co worker calls out. Most jobs dont have to work holidays and weekends. Most jobs your life is not at risk any time you pull someone over or go to a domestic call. Most people who have a salaried position at any company in Boston or Cambridge have it pretty good. Why shouldnt cops have perks at their jobs? Why should a director of business development at a gaming or dog chew toy company be paid at least 150k a year plus a bonus, probably goes on company paid trips, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me that people think it's no big deal what SOME people get paid and think cops should just suffer or be poor. Plenty of people make more money than they should (hedge fund workers come to mind) and no one bats an eyelash, but want cops stripped of OT because of tax dollars.

I really don't see it happening in my life time (and i'm not that old)...but keep wishing, hoping for it.
As I already said multiple times in the past. Is really not that uncommon to work holidays or nights. Many jobs have higher fatality rate than policemen and private company would most definitely not tolerate neither continuous OT-scams not extreme use of OT.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:24 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Looks like the fraud, grift and graft knows no bounds over at BPD. Even the mechanics can't keep their noses clean.
Geez. Well he's a mechanic hired by the City of Boston. Seems to me it's the city of Boston that has a major accounting problem. I mean are they monitoring anything?

Old 07-30-2021, 02:27 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
As I already said multiple times in the past. Is really not that uncommon to work holidays or nights. Many jobs have higher fatality rate than policemen and private company would most definitely not tolerate neither continuous OT-scams not extreme use of OT.
What jobs have a higher fatality rate than cops that DON'T get OT as well?

I dont work holidays or nights...most companies don't run that way unless you're Target, Walmart, etc...but the people in the corporate offices still dont have to...just the people working in the stores.

Old 07-30-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Totally expected. It most certainly isn't just a "cop problem".

Old 07-30-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What jobs have a higher fatality rate than cops that DON'T get OT as well?

I dont work holidays or nights...most companies don't run that way unless you're Target, Walmart, etc...but the people in the corporate offices still dont have to...just the people working in the stores.
Didn't you say you work in a research lab? Very common in research lab to have people work at night and none gets OT.
Most jobs with a higher fatality rate than policemen really don't make much money. Most are in construction.

As I said most company will avoid to pay overtime, as in, you will not even have a chance to do overtime.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:07 PM

24,015 posts, read 19,443,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Which part is too hard for you to understand? Tell me and I can teach you.

In the event that you have any idea of what you are talking about (which I am not seeing so far), I probably have a thousand questions for you. Let's start with something very basic. Suppose a police department has officers doing a range of 45 hours a week to 105 hours a week on average at the extreme ends, with the average cop working 56 hours a week on average over the course of the year. How would you calculate and determine this new "universal base salary" you are proposing? Off of 56 hours? 105 hours? 45 hours? Depending on how you answer that, will help me determine whether it is worth discussing this further with you.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:09 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,881,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In the event that you have any idea of what you are talking about (which I am not seeing so far), I probably have a thousand questions for you. Let's start with something very basic. Suppose a police department has officers doing a range of 45 hours a week to 105 hours a week on average at the extreme ends, with the average cop working 56 hours a week on average over the course of the year. How would you calculate and determine this new "universal base salary" you are proposing? Off of 56 hours? 105 hours? 45 hours? Depending on how you answer that, will help me determine whether it is worth discussing this further with you.
This topic has already been beaten to death. The cost/benefit has been explained ad nauseum and is also available from multiple sources to anyone with an inquisitive mind. The unhappy cop haters keep rehashing it not because they care about facts and not because they know thing-one about the topics, but because they are insecure or unhappy with themselves and they falsely think pissing on cops (and probably many others) will make them feel better. Increasing base salaries to the extent necessary would not only fail to solve the problem, it would bust the budget like it's never been busted because OT will always be needed and because police officers cannot be exempt from labor laws in agencies greater than 5 employees. Police are not white collar office or administrative employees. Not to mention recruiting problems that will only be worsened. This would result in a much lower caliber officer during a time when we should be looking to go in the other direction. The endless false comparisons between private industry and public safety or other government services never cease to amaze me. Just because you put yourself into some medicore paying exempt corporate-droid office position is no reason to hate everyone who isn't.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 07-30-2021 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 05:20 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,859,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't brag before making an argument.

ALL professionals have similar issues as you said. It is not uncommon for people in IT, and finance...to work after hours or on holidays. They have a relatively high base salary, and work OT for FREE.
Those who have more achievements than others receive more merit-based bonuses.

Who told you base salaries have to be "universal"? in my company, every new employee has a different starting salary, based on his performance on interview and things on his CV.

So if a cop solved more cases and caught more criminals, he can receive a big bonus.
Note an achievement does not have to be something very significant. A department can define it.
Problem solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts