Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 12:32 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times

Advertisements

Is this even 'news' anymore?

"Nine current and former Boston police officers were arrested Wednesday and will be charged in connection with committing more than $200,000 in overtime fraud at the Boston Police Department’s evidence warehouse, the U.S. Attorney’s Office has announced.

Lt. Timothy Torigian, 54, of Walpole; Sgt. Gerard O’Brien (retired), 62, of Braintree; Sgt. Robert Twitchell (retired), 58, of Norton; Officer Henry Doherty (retired), 61, of Dorchester; Officer Diana Lopez (retired), 58, of Milton; Officer James Carnes (retired), 57, of Canton; Officer Michael Murphy, 60, of Hyde Park; Officer Ronald Nelson (retired), 60, of Jamaica Plain; and Officer Kendra Conway, 49, of Boston, were each charged in an indictment unsealed today with one count of conspiracy to commit theft concerning programs receiving federal funds and one count of embezzlement from an agency receiving federal funds."

https://whdh.com/news/9-boston-polic...-fraud-scheme/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 12:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
There’s a witch hunt for cops right now. I also agree that this doesn’t seem like huge news but the media wants to do their best to make sure people hate cops.

Meanwhile plenty of people are sitting on their ass at home making millions by fraudulent investing or have cash businesses that they don’t file taxes on. And they’re reaping in much more money than these cops.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:40 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
This example here (putting in for 8hrs and leaving 2 hours early) seems like small peanuts in terms of abuse. Hell, i sometimes let my employees do the same thing on the Friday before a major holiday (like this Friday for example). Seems kinda overblown and sensationalized.

I could tell you some real stories about overtime/detail abuse from back when i worked with police details nearly 5 days a week from 2000-2007.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:49 PM

Agreed it used to be they would get paid for a full day when going to court even if they were only there for an hour. It got changed to now they only get 4 hours. In reality some might have over an hour commute to get to the court.

I’ve never had a job where I worked overtime but I’d be afraid to lie and take more. I just think policing is a different type of job than someone who sits in an office or at home these days.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
There’s a witch hunt for cops right now. I also agree that this doesn’t seem like huge news but the media wants to do their best to make sure people hate cops.

Meanwhile plenty of people are sitting on their ass at home making millions by fraudulent investing or have cash businesses that they don’t file taxes on. And they’re reaping in much more money than these cops.
The latter isn't spending taxed revenue. BPD has also been bagged cooking OT multiple times and, every time, the 'media' has rightfully reported it.

There isn't a "cop witch hunt". There's a systematic failure of accountability which PD unions seem determined to maintain. The public, which sees a significant chunk of their tax dollars directed towards these departments, is rightfully demanding higher standards ... particularly given the pension obligations and long history of accountability and ethics issues.

I'm tired of it - defund, reform, or both.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:57 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
That’s it? Lol fake justice for the papers. It’s like 100x as many.

9 Boston police officers arrested in connection with overtime fraud scheme-cac0a28b-8008-4432-8fb0-212b1dc5476b.jpeg

Officer Thomas Barret made more off overtime than regular work lol. Okay.

Notice they’re lol retired hahaha. Cmon y’all

9 Boston police officers arrested in connection with overtime fraud scheme-f2b32bef-081a-47aa-bba2-9fe6f0bcd121.jpeg
How many more Mr. Speaker? Lmao, what a farce.

Old 09-02-2020, 12:59 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieJastrow View Post
Agree. I am sure 10 years ago it was out of control and these guys are paying for it.
It still is. Ever have to sign an officers detail slip? Nothing on site is safe until the clock ticks over 4hrs and 1 minute. Then magically they drop everything and you can go home. Lots of convenient traffic control needs/mysterious disappearances as that time approaches.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:06 PM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
It still is. Ever have to sign an officers detail slip? Nothing on site is safe until the clock ticks over 4hrs and 1 minute. Then magically they drop everything and you can go home. Lots of convenient traffic control needs/mysterious disappearances as that time approaches.
Often times, they never even worked the 4 hours. Even if we worked 2 hours on scene, the timeslip was often signed with a 4hr+ time on it (granting 8hrs worth of pay). In some towns, you had to play that game, or get blacklisted. Simple as that.

EDIT: I removed the specific examples. No need to go into detail here.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-02-2020 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-02-2020, 01:20 PM

Ok so you’re ok with illegal Ponzi schemes and people lying on their tax forms all the time ? That money is coming from you also. I think many people just want more reasons to hate cops.

Old 09-02-2020, 01:26 PM

15,966 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Ok so you’re ok with illegal Ponzi schemes and people lying on their tax forms all the time ? That money is coming from you also. I think many people just want more reasons to hate cops.
What do YOU think? Cops stealing is better than ponzi schemes? Can both be wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts