Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:37 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,553,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This being police brings a lot of associated baggage. I think more clarity on the situation can be found if you replace 'police officers' with 'MBTA workers'.
Not sure what that means? Both get a lot of overtime, is that what you mean ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 05:13 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,236,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Apples and oranges. You cannot expect most cops (or firefighters/EMTs) to work in the trenches until 65 like a state office worker, for instance. Yes it might be due for pension reform, although with that keep in mind that it's the all they have for retirement. As with state workers, they are not in Social Security nor do they get a 401K match.
I agree with that but IMHO, they should not be allowed to collect their full pension until they at 62. Perhaps 25% until then as most are quite capable of continuing to work in some other field.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:20 PM

23,677 posts, read 18,791,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I agree with that but IMHO, they should not be allowed to collect their full pension until they at 62. Perhaps 25% until then as most are quite capable of continuing to work in some other field.
Wouldn't be unreasonable if it was like...IDK 50%. Not all cops have skills they could carry over to other fields where they would be paid enough to maintain, unless some education or training was provided. You also have to account for the lower life expectancy of cops/firefighters vs. the general population.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:21 PM

The pension thing is weird. I know a woman who went out on disability for good when she was 42. She basically retired and gets 82k a year to be a SAHM. Her husband is also a Boston cop and can put in lots of hours since she’s home and he makes 200k a year.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:26 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,935,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Not sure what that means? Both get a lot of overtime, is that what you mean ?
Removing the police aspect helps clarify your thoughts.

Some people are naturally inclined to defend police, others are naturally inclined to fault police. What if they were other public employees committing this particular form of fraud?

Old 09-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
The pension thing is weird. I know a woman who went out on disability for good when she was 42. She basically retired and gets 82k a year to be a SAHM. Her husband is also a Boston cop and can put in lots of hours since she’s home and he makes 200k a year.
100% is just unrealistic considering the state of things now, especially being able to retire on full disability when I'm sure the vast majority could be utilized for light duty work somewhere. 80% would be more like it, or maybe better drop it lower and let them participate in Social Security (or a hybrid pension/457 type plan).

Old 09-02-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Removing the police aspect helps clarify your thoughts.

Some people are naturally inclined to defend police, others are naturally inclined to fault police. What if they were other public employees committing this particular form of fraud?
The MBTA has gotten lots of hate in the past, in the past probably more than cops even. That seems to have flipped, hating cops is the flavor of the day now.

Old 09-02-2020, 05:34 PM

Right I think I recall a story a few years ago where an mbta commuter rail driver who was related to a higher up had several duis on his record. He was making at least 90k a year.

But no one says a thing when a guy at such and such tech company has a 170k salary and gets a bonus for sitting in a chair all day at the computer.

Why should only tech workers and medical professionals get a good salary?

Old 09-02-2020, 08:03 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,935,597 times
Quote:
Right I think I recall a story a few years ago where an mbta commuter rail driver who was related to a higher up had several duis on his record. He was making at least 90k a year.

But no one says a thing when a guy at such and such tech company has a 170k salary and gets a bonus for sitting in a chair all day at the computer.

Why should only tech workers and medical professionals get a good salary?
I'm not sure why you think:

a) anyone makes $170k/year 'sitting in a chair all day at the computer'.
b) only tech workers and medical professionals get a good salary
c) either has anything to do with how important fraudulent overtime is

For the record, very few people at private companies make their money just sitting there. They usually have to do something. Not only that, the something they do has to be perceived as creating more value than they cost. The market tends to pay private-sector workers as little as it possibly can.

Public employees, on the other hand, are not subject to the same market pressures. The only recourse for employees that are overpaid is public outrage. There is, however, a strong mechanism for underpaid employees, which is people not choosing to work for public employers.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:08 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,149,038 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you think:

a) anyone makes $170k/year 'sitting in a chair all day at the computer'.
b) only tech workers and medical professionals get a good salary
c) either has anything to do with how important fraudulent overtime is

For the record, very few people at private companies make their money just sitting there. They usually have to do something. Not only that, the something they do has to be perceived as creating more value than they cost. The market tends to pay private-sector workers as little as it possibly can.

Public employees, on the other hand, are not subject to the same market pressures. The only recourse for employees that are overpaid is public outrage. There is, however, a strong mechanism for underpaid employees, which is people not choosing to work for public employers.
Apparently “the right’s” predisposition to boot licking supersedes the “FrEE MaRkeTS”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts