Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2023, 01:22 PM

4,669 posts, read 4,982,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What I said is that healthy immune systems produce cytokines in response to infections. Do you have a scientific source that states otherwise?
Do you have any basis for saying "if you can produce cytokines in response to infections, your immune system is healthy?" Because that's what you're actually arguing.

All I was arguing is healthy people rarely had serious outcomes from Covid even at its height, and even less so now. Which is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 02:13 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Do you have any basis for saying "if you can produce cytokines in response to infections, your immune system is healthy?" Because that's what you're actually arguing.

All I was arguing is healthy people rarely had serious outcomes from Covid even at its height, and even less so now. Which is true.
Exactly. It's too bad that hysteria built to such a crescendo that even serious people were taking foolish actions and inaction "out of an abundance of caution." We blew up childrens' education for absolutely no reason. We denied people proper weddings, funerals and childbirths in order to put the population into solitary confinement.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:25 PM

37,111 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:

You can rearrange the words in my statement if you wish, but what you are claiming I mean is not what I said.

Production of cytokines is a normal part of the function of the immune system in response to infection.

About 6% of covid deaths happen in people with no known health problems. That is not rare.

Old 05-23-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You can rearrange the words in my statement if you wish, but what you are claiming I mean is not what I said.

Production of cytokines is a normal part of the function of the immune system in response to infection.

About 6% of covid deaths happen in people with no known health problems. That is not rare.
And 99.4% of infections do not result in death (per the CDC). Therefore, using the two probabilities, we see that less than 4 in 10,000 infections result in a person with no known health problems dying.

What would that number have to be for you to call it rare, suzy? 2 in 10,000? 1 in 10,000? 1 in a million? 1 in a trillion?

Or are you going to continue to refuse to call it rare, regardless of actual data and statistics, because your agenda demands that you do so?

Old 05-23-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:
And 99.4% of infections do not result in death (per the CDC). Therefore, using the two probabilities, we see that less than 4 in 10,000 infections result in a person with no known health problems dying.

What would that number have to be for you to call it rare, suzy? 2 in 10,000? 1 in 10,000? 1 in a million? 1 in a trillion?

Or are you going to continue to refuse to call it rare, regardless of actual data and statistics, because your agenda demands that you do so?
Six percent is 6 in a 100 deaths. That is not rare.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Your original statement:

"People with perfectly healthy immune systems get covid. Some of them die."

My response, it's really, really rare for someone with a perfectly healthy immune system to get covid and die. Absolutely true. You only argue because I'm stating a fact that's inconvenient for your narrative.

Old 05-23-2023, 07:51 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Your original statement:

My response, it's really, really rare for someone with a perfectly healthy immune system to get covid and die. Absolutely true. You only argue because I'm stating a fact that's inconvenient for your narrative.
TO paraphrase a Passover question, "why is this virus different from all the other viruses" or "why do we have to lock down for this virus but not for all the other viruses"?

Old 05-23-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
TO paraphrase a Passover question, "why is this virus different from all the other viruses" or "why do we have to lock down for this virus but not for all the other viruses"?
Because bad people spread lies, and well-meaning people bought the lies.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
"why is this virus different from all the other viruses"
Because it was new and there was no pre-existing community immunity to it.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:04 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Your original statement:

Well, I guess at least those who were downplaying it then are being consistent by downplaying it now.

I happen to know 2 "perfectly healthy" people, aged 28 and 51 respectively, who were not vaccinated and died from it. And before you say that's anecdotal, look up the stats...and use them correctly. What you want is IFR, infection fatality rate...meaning what % of those who get infected died before vaccines, not what % of the population at large died from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts