Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2023, 03:40 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Unfortunately, that's a feeling, but not a fact.
So, lock down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 03:44 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
So, lock down?
Where did anybody say anything about a lock down? At this point you are doing nothing but derail.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Where did anybody say anything about a lock down? At this point you are doing nothing but derail.
What remedies do you propose? Having everyone walk around like men on the moon?

Old 05-10-2023, 03:59 PM

16,415 posts, read 8,223,904 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Unfortunately, that's a feeling, but not a fact.
how? Millions of people got covid and recovered.

Old 05-10-2023, 04:05 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
how? Millions of people got covid and recovered.
Millions died. Many more have long covid.

Old 05-10-2023, 06:48 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
They conditioned people to give up bodily autonomy with masks and vaccine mandates. People in general did not revolt when they said jump people said how high?
No, that came much later...June 24, 2022 to be exact...and nothing to do with Covid, sadly.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:15 PM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
In the beginning of the pandemic I think people had a right to be scared. No one knew what the virus was capable of and it did kill older and immunocompromised people. As time went on though people started to realize that for most it was like a cold or a flu. Even today I still see people wearing masks in many different places (and outdoors) so I guess some people really don't want to get this. To me it doesn't seem much different than a cold or flu. I don't want to get any of those things. I think people should be allowed to have their own opinions about the virus at this point and not be mad at others about it.
My view from the beginning of the pandemic until now changed very little: Once the vaccines came out, we had to return to normal. When that didn't happen in many places.

I also realize hindsight being 20/20, it's hard to be too critical of people making decisions at that time.

I also won't make the lazy argument that regulation were put in by politicians who just wanted to control us...for the most part. If you remember there were street protests in Hong Kong before the pandemic started, and we don't hear much about them anymore. Clearly the Chinese use covid to their advantage, and I'm sure a few other countries, but I think most politicians were doing the best they had with the information available to them.

But that being said, lockdowns and scare tactics lasted way too ****ing long. By March of 2021, people were getting vaccinated, and people were showing signs of natural immunity. I think politicians were afraid to open up too much because they might get blamed for a spike in covid deaths. I think the general public was whipped up into a frenzy by the overzealous media, so politicians were scared to open up too much for fear of backlash. Like a lot of things in government, they had to pick their battles.

*I should note that although I am a Mass native, I live in Malaysia and spent covid in here with FAR, FAR stricter controls than even the stricted US state. I wasn't even allowed in for the birth of my daughter in December 2021. Hell, even leading up to her birth and our IVF appointments, we were required to carry a letter with us from the hospital so we could travel more than 10 km from our apartment.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Millions died. Many more have long covid.
So, lock down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
No, that came much later...June 24, 2022 to be exact...and nothing to do with Covid, sadly.
What happened that date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
But that being said, lockdowns and scare tactics lasted way too ****ing long. By March of 2021, people were getting vaccinated, and people were showing signs of natural immunity. I think politicians were afraid to open up too much because they might get blamed for a spike in covid deaths. I think the general public was whipped up into a frenzy by the overzealous media, so politicians were scared to open up too much for fear of backlash. Like a lot of things in government, they had to pick their battles.
I totally agree with that. Our synagogue reopened in Fall 2021, then went remote again in December 2021 with the Moronicron Variant scare, only fully reopening again during Fall 2022. People just weren't psychologically ready to go back to normal yet. By now, people have just "had enough." From my reading of The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History by John M. Barry, the last deadly pandemic, the Spanish Flu in 1917-1920 ended much the same way; when people felt that restrictions had outlived their value.

I am amazed that people fell for this with Covid, given the relative mildness compared with the Spanish Flu. Parenthetically, one of my maternal great-grandfathers died on it in 1918 or 1919.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post

I also won't make the lazy argument that regulation were put in by politicians who just wanted to control us...for the most part. If you remember there were street protests in Hong Kong before the pandemic started, and we don't hear much about them anymore. Clearly the Chinese use covid to their advantage, and I'm sure a few other countries, but I think most politicians were doing the best they had with the information available to themt.
It's not a lazy argument they wanted us to follow the rules but they themselves did not like the California governor going out to eat. It was Nancy pelocy getting her hair done without a mask. The hypocrisy and motive was obvious.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:21 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,553,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
With the exception of the bolded I strongly agree with you. Vaccines are mandated for many diseases such as polio, diphtheria, typhoid, tetanus, measles, mumps and rubella. Until smallpox was declared eradicated it was mandated for smallpox. By and large, except possible for the MMR vaccine, those mandates are a good thing. Vaccine mandates need to be largely universal to have the desired effect. Otherwise I agree that the Covid strategy was overly restrictive and a fiasco.
One of the most important rights is a right NOT to put something into your body. In the UK vaccines for children for instance are recommended but not required. Health care is never one size fits all and nothing is completely safe for everyone.

As Dr zelenko said about the COVID vaccine" if you come to my house with the shot I got a different kind of shot for you" I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts