Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 09:43 AM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
So essentially a 0.00004% chance of someone in the 12-29 age range of contracting the treatable condition.
Ehhh, I think 40.6 per million is 0.00406 per hundred if I haven't misplaced a decimal point, but yes, the odds of getting this heart inflammation are very low, even for the 12-29 age male group, and for those who do get it, the vast majority will recover completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 10:15 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Ehhh, I think 40.6 per million is 0.00406 per hundred if I haven't misplaced a decimal point, but yes, the odds of getting this heart inflammation are very low, even for the 12-29 age male group, and for those who do get it, the vast majority will recover completely.
Yeah my napkin math was a bit off, but the point stands....very low odds.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:39 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
It seems like some people are freaking out about Delta. I'm not saying they shouldnt be...but it's interesting to me that no universities have changed their plans in terms of welcoming people back to campus. I can't help but feel like if it were truly that worrisome then these plans would be halted.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:45 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It seems like some people are freaking out about Delta. I'm not saying they shouldnt be...but it's interesting to me that no universities have changed their plans in terms of welcoming people back to campus. I can't help but feel like if it were truly that worrisome then these plans would be halted.
They want their $$$$$$$. If it comes to it, they will just do what they did last year.

Besides, the vaccine is proving that it's still decently effective against Delta. Just not as bulletproof as it was against the original one and Beta.

Old 08-10-2021, 12:48 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
At this point I think it would be too late to tell students not to come back.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:29 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
They can easily tell students they can't go back. Heck remember the boston bombings? I met a woman who was the head of dorms at umass dartmouth. Feds raided and kicked people out in two seconds. Now for this it could easily happen. Look at the battles between Umass amherst and town of amherst. If you take classes online that's where the real money is. If international students can still attend online what makes it different otherwise? Saves the students and the institution a fair amount of money. It isn't about what it is overhere but rather over there. If it mutates more with travel we have to vaccinate the world first before letting people in, especially if online is an option.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:34 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:

It's never too late. If it becomes necessary, there is no point in having them come back to then have to just send them home.

Cases are up in every state. Cases and deaths are surging in the South.

In Houston, there are 6 ICU beds available. 6 ICU beds in a city of over 2 million people.

And cases among kids have been rising since early July. 94,000 cases in just the past week. Pediatric units in Texas are full.

We have seen large increases in cases here...but, at this point, it is nothing like what's going on in the South. That said, I'd be very surprised if schools open here.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:10 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
I have elementary-aged kids, but haven't heard even the slightest rumble about school going remote. I haven't even heard a decision on masks, though I am going to assume they'll be mandatory indoors. School board meeting is next week, so I guess we'll hear more then, but I don't think there is time to ramp up starting school remotely.

Old 08-10-2021, 03:23 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
My understand is that for:

- Traditional schools with full on campus enrollment, adding distance learning on top is a big plus
- Newer for-profit schools lacking the investment in physical infrastructure, distance learning can be very profitable
- Traditional schools who spent a lot of money on dorms, classrooms, cafeteria, library, labs, gyms, etc - shifting their fulltime students from on-campus to distance learning loses big money when room and board are no longer charged

Old 08-10-2021, 03:44 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I have elementary-aged kids, but haven't heard even the slightest rumble about school going remote. I haven't even heard a decision on masks, though I am going to assume they'll be mandatory indoors. School board meeting is next week, so I guess we'll hear more then, but I don't think there is time to ramp up starting school remotely.

I think it's unclear whether it will be necessary. While we've seen cases go up and up since early July, the question seems to be:

Have we (or will we) escape the worst of it due to higher vaccination levels than the South? Or is what's happening in the South going to be what happens here soon?

And if it's the former, could it change to the latter by allowing unvaccinated kids to sit in classrooms all day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts