Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
"huge" is you projecting. It's not huge. You can get next-day or next-week turn on procedures right now. Med device sales are absolute garbage, which is the best indicator (IMO).

I can't speak to the Boston hospitals but the big urban ones west of Boston in hot zones have made a huge shift to telemedicine. The hospitals I know about are now up around 50% telemedicine for office visits. That certainly helps with the transmission rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
...there hasn't been a huge inflow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
There has been an inflow, huge or otherwise
Quote:
"huge" is you projecting. It's not huge.
Your post introduced the term huge.

Bottom line, in many states, today there are healthy people going in for elective procedures and testing positive for Covid-19. There individuals will then count as a new hospitalized Covid case for that states reporting data. Are elective procedures at pre pandemic levels? Certainly not. Are they significant enough to skew the numbers? Probably.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:37 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:

Bottom line, in many states, today there are healthy people going in for elective procedures and testing positive for Covid-19. There individuals will then count as a new hospitalized Covid case for that states reporting data. Are elective procedures at pre pandemic levels? Certainly not. Are they significant enough to skew the numbers? Probably.
Fair, but borderline pedantic.

“big way” vs “huge”. eh.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:

So you think if you’re tested positive before an elective procedure, you’re hospitalized? Why would they do that unless you had severe pneumonia symptoms where hospitalization was deemed necessary. And if you had those symptoms, do you really think you’d show up for elective surgery?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:38 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you think if you’re tested positive before an elective procedure, you’re hospitalized? Why would they do that unless you had severe pneumonia symptoms where hospitalization was deemed necessary. And if you had those symptoms, do you really think you’d show up for elective surgery?

I agree. That doesn't make sense. If one goes in for a procedure like a vasectomy, and tests positive during the pre-admission covid test despite being asymptomatic, they consider you hospitalized?

The skewing of the numbers to paint a narrative doesn't make sense, and I've heard some really far out theories as to why. One person who I am an acquaintance with stated profusely that COVID deaths were exaggerated because people who die for other reasons are still being counted as COVID deaths. In their logic, dying of a heart attack while COVID positive should not count as a COVID death, but should rather be considered a standard heart attack. The fact that COVID likely caused the heart attack "cannot be proven so therefore shouldn't be counted"

Old 06-18-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree. That doesn't make sense. If one goes in for a procedure like a vasectomy, and tests positive during the pre-admission covid test despite being asymptomatic, they consider you hospitalized?

The skewing of the numbers to paint a narrative doesn't make sense, and I've heard some really far out theories as to why. One person who I am an acquaintance with stated profusely that COVID deaths were exaggerated because people who die for other reasons are still being counted as COVID deaths. In their logic, dying of a heart attack while COVID positive should not count as a COVID death, but should rather be considered a standard heart attack. The fact that COVID likely caused the heart attack "cannot be proven so therefore shouldn't be counted"
If anything, the lethality numbers skew the opposite way as our local hospitals were not testing patients for Covid post-mortem. If they had overt symptoms they might get counted, but if the death was undefined or the patient arrived dead in transport ... nope, not counted.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
If anything, the lethality numbers skew the opposite way as our local hospitals were not testing patients for Covid post-mortem. If they had overt symptoms they might get counted, but if the death was undefined or the patient arrived dead in transport ... nope, not counted.
*likely, but that's conjecture on my end based on inputs from the clinical side.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:32 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I cant speak to all hospitals, but I know that this is not how it is done at BIDMC and MGH from MDs I know working there - only counted if you are specifically/primarily admitted for COVID related.

The same MDs have said that the other downside to COVID is how many early cancer diagnoses that respond better to early intervention/treatment are missed because of people staying home for routine and elective visits - breast, ovarian, prostate, testicular. The number of cases presented is pretty constant with population and they have seen a huge dip over the last few months.

Unfortunately it probably feeds the 'let 'er rip' crowd but will lead to a sad outcome for many people nonetheless.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:12 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
I am aware of that happening in the early days of COVID when testing was limited. If I a person died at home and was suspected of COVID, they were not being tested and not counted towards the total. This was told to me by family members who were medical/first responders.

article here on this
https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...orted/2112459/

Now, MA is reporting "probably deaths" to account for this, but it is another example of the actual deaths being undercounted in some cases.

Now, if a person with COVID died in a 7-car pileup as a passenger and that was counted as a COVID death, then I would have an issue with that.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
There’s also the whole 30% false negative thing. If you don’t test early in the disease, you often don’t pick it up with the “stuff a toothbrush up your nose” method of collecting the test sample. It’s a tough disease to gather reliable data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts